Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a van, and a fan, and some gumption and now I need to start. I have been debating whether to install floor first or insulate first? I plan on using polyiso, assuming I can get some at Home Despot with Great Stuff Pro as described many times I'm these forums and on Gary's buildagreenrv.com site. I also have a fantastic fan to install, using the Impact3d (Hein's) adapter plate. I am wondering if it behooves me to install the fan before the insulation or after? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As an FYI, our local Home Depot didn't have 2" polyiso. (HD has 1/2" and 1"). We had to have the 2" 'shipped' to our local Menards.
I was planning on using 1" on floor and walls and 1/2" on ceiling, based on what I have read, I thought that would be sufficient.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
1" is enough anyway. The fan is going to need a filler around it that is 1.25 inches at least. I used 1" polyiso and built a chamfered wood piece that tapered from 1.25 to 1" and was about 2" wide and 14" square for the fan to fit into. Everything was covered by roof liner fabric so just the smooth taper from the polyiso to the fan shows. Very nice looking, quick to do and no wood ceiling needed. KIS.
I did cut down the thickness of the inside trim to fit the 1.25" thickness. See my build for more.

Reactions: Chris Johannsen

·
Registered
212 Posts
My fan will arrive on Saturday. I'll order the filler piece from Hein tonight. I'll also be ordering my solar panels (Renogy) and my slide windows (MotionWindows or CR Laurence -undecided) tonight too. (thank goodness for promotional interest free credit cards)

Hein/Kim is sending me a sample of Thinsulate and other materials so I can figure out which to go with there. It gets so darn humid during the summer in Virginia.

We seem to be on the same track/timeline; although, I'll be a weekend warrior with limited tools and knowledge and will probably be one step behind you. So....please keep good notes of your lessons learned. K? :D

Chris - Question about insurance...What company did you use and what did you classify your vehicle as (personal, commercial, or RV)?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chris - Question about insurance...What company did you use and what did you classify your vehicle as (personal, commercial, or RV)?
I use USAA and insured as a personal vehicle since its a daily driver, we got it as our second car. Also, I don't think it would qualify as an RV in OR, I believe that RV implies plumbing and propane system if I remember correctly, which I don't intend to install anytime soon if ever.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
I was planning on using 1" on floor and walls and 1/2" on ceiling, based on what I have read, I thought that would be sufficientd ribs. .
You need the most on the ceiling and walls= 1" it just matches the raised ribs of the ceiling.
The floor can be 1/2"

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You need the most on the ceiling and walls= 1" it just matches the raised ribs of the ceiling.
The floor can be 1/2"
Thanks! I had that in my brain at some point but lost it somewhere in electrical system design. Why did you build the wood frame? I have seen plenty of installs that don't use a frame

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have a van, and a fan, and some gumption and now I need to start. I have been debating whether to install floor first or insulate first? I plan on using polyiso, assuming I can get some at Home Despot with Great Stuff Pro as described many times I'm these forums and on Gary's buildagreenrv.com site. I also have a fantastic fan to install, using the Impact3d (Hein's) adapter plate. I am wondering if it behooves me to install the fan before the insulation or after? Any suggestions?
Chris - did you buy the interior and exterior versions of the adapter plate from Impact3d?

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Thanks! I had that in my brain at some point but lost it somewhere in electrical system design. Why did you build the wood frame? I have seen plenty of installs that don't use a frame
The fan's interior shroud has a minimum instal for a ceiling thickness of about 1.25" +- my outside skin to inside polyiso was about 1" so the flanged wood surround allows the trim to sit flush to the tapered piece which has headliner fabric on it. Otherwise I would have had to pad the trim plastic on the fan. I did cut the internal trim to make it a minimum thickness instal so the fan trim does not protrude into the van much at all. Those who instal a plywood ceiling, which is a lot of extra expense and work, will find this unnecessary.

·
Premium Member
8,810 Posts
Chris - did you buy the interior and exterior versions of the adapter plate from Impact3d?
If you put the fan in the forward "moon roof" place you do not need the rib piece. If you put it back you do.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Change of plan

So yesterday I visited my local van conversion shop and ordered the CL Lawrence window for the slider. He was extremely helpful and knowledgeable and very openly shared his advice , showed me how to do a couple of things and most importantly convinced me not to use Polyiso board. He talked me through the pros and cons of spray foam, foam and wool insulations and spent about an hour going over the installation of each. I was so impressed I decided to order the foam batting he uses in the conversions he does. He even had a Promaster in the shop that he took me into and gave me specific advice on installation of wiring, flooring, the insulation of course, and finish pieces. The cost of the recycled foam insulation was approximately the same as the poly iso would have been with enough to get an R value of 15 on the walls. Lastly, he laid out how he progresses through installations from wiring to final panel install. Tomorrow I will install the fantastic fan and pull wiring. Insulation on Sunday!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,268 Posts
recycled foam?, does that look like that multi colored carpet pad?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts