Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stealth camp, boondock, stay in Wal-Marts, and travel off the grid. I avoid campgrounds and parks. I need suggestions as to places to fill my fresh water tank.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Many gas stations have hose spigots on the outside of their buildings. Then there are always parks, churches, fast food restaurants, etc. Other than gas stations, I always ask if filling up at a private business or church.

Also, it's as easy as knocking on a door or two. Many people would be more than willing to spare a few gallons of water. If you can handle the occasional "Get off my property" grump, then door knocking is a breeze.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Do you drink this water? I always carry a jug of bottled water for drinking, coffee etc. The hoses you use may not be potable water approved as some are rubber or other material that can leach into the water. Suggest that you carry your own clean hose made for potable water.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Information centres, I go there for POI, maps, free WiFi and water.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re post 4:
In the past I would drink the water from my plastic tank but no longer do so. Last summer I left the camper van unused for awhile and the water turned bad and I had to give it a good dose of bleach. I have now permanently switched to bottled water for drinking and cooking as I now give the tank a tiny shot of bleach when I fill it. Also I decided that I did not like the taste of plastic in the tank water.

I do carry my own hose but since I no longer drink the tank water I often use any hose that might already be connected to my discovered water source. I do let it first run on the ground enough time to to not let standing water in the hose get into my tank. More and more I see that outside faucets need a square ended hollow key to be turned on. I will try to purchase such a key.

If I had a fortune of money I would have a stainless steel tank made to fit my space. Aluminum tanks are less costly but they are not good for water in the long haul.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
get yourself a sill ****/hose bibs/hydrant key they are handy

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
I didn't realize sill **** was a dirty word, it's on the Home Depot website.

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
One can never be to careful - the world is full of wondering sillcocks and you can never tell what or where they've been up to (so to speak) ;)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Its not fair! The moderators get to use salacious comments and words and we cant say silpecker? Fooled you on that one KOV!
BTW we also get gallons of water at WallyWorld and reuse the jugs as appropriate. I am not drinking the water from my old plastic gas jug even though it never had gas in it.

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
Actually anyone can use sillcock if it's one word like ****, nope sorry I don't make the rules!

·
Registered
13 Posts
as surf and turf says info centers. You'd be surprised at how many rest areas have a pump

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Today I purchased a 4-way sillcock key at Home Depot for less than 10 dollars. It is cross shaped about 3 inches across and looks like a miniature lug wrench for changing wheels. It fits 4 different size sillcocks.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Some public drinking fountains have faucets you can open with a key.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Boat launches with fish cleaning stations and marinas, just check they are pumping city water anx not salt or brackish

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
http://rainfresh.ca/product/SST-cottage-water-filter
We've had one of these fabulous water filters on our kitchen sink at home for ~20yrs, and we're going to install one in our PM. It taps into standard pressurized plumbing pipes and gives you clean drinking water (no plastic bottles to buy/recycle). The ceramic filter is way better than paper or carbon filters. Filter cartridges last about 6 months here at home. Rainfresh is a Canadian company and these units are available at most Canadian Tire stores. Unfortunately, they don't appear on Amazon.com/ca. You'll just have to come up here to get one ;)

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
In New England freshwater fill and a blackwater and graywater dump can be found at most small cities sewage plant! Really!

·
Super Moderator
10,172 Posts
It's also a great place to pick up some fertilizer for the Spring garden while you're at it ;)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts