Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I saw my first Ford Transit Van advertisement on TV and it was a slick, well made, appealing production. Where is the ProMaster's. commericals? The ProMaster is superior to the Transit, but how will anyone know if the public is not exposed to the PM. The Transit will have people buying it not only on brand loyalty but also because they do not know there is something better out there.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I sure see a lot of Fiat 500 and 500L ads, but very few Chrysler ads at all. I do zip through a lot of ad blocks, so I may be missing some!

·
Super Moderator
9,044 Posts
It's almost like they don't want to sell them! Their marketing is totally messed up! I just don't understand it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
They had this "Key to the City" television commercial near the beginning of the year, but I haven't seen it in a while....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vILe6kHLlgY

I have seen some printed advertisements in "The Journal of Light Construction," so maybe they are advertising in other trade magazines.

But, they don't seem to be trying very hard to communicate that this van even exists.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
It's almost like they don't want to sell them! Their marketing is totally messed up! I just don't understand it.
My 2 cents .....

I personally think it could be due to many factors we don't know about. For example, they may have capacity limitations, or they may prefer to sell more units in other markets because of higher margins, or perhaps have found that TV advertising cost more than the extra money they generate.

I think the Transit will have more appeal as a family vehicle and thus reaching customers during a football game (that's when I saw my first ad) may have higher payback on ad dollars. The PM seems more of a cargo/work van and those buyers will research and compare more before buying. I would "guess" that at any given time there are a lot more potential Transit buyers watching a football game, and hence ad dollars more effective for Ford.

And I have to admit that the Transit looks far better than the PM in the ads linked above. PM needs to upgrade front to 2015 Ducato as soon as possible and start painting the front bumpers. I noticed even Winnebago will make the 2015 Travato with full paint and it makes a huge difference. For FedEx or plumbing company they probably don't care as much about aesthetics.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I think lowering the price would help more than advertising. I've been running the available inventory within 200 miles of me on the web site for months now and the list never seems to change. The count isn't going down and it's nearly October. The 3 vehicles I'd actually be interested are all still sitting. Called on one of them to see what the fine print was on their advertised price and he came back $1000 higher. Later they change the their web sit to decrease the discount from $3900 to $2900.

The one-price Ford dealer near me already has Transits $3400 off. And the Transit is a 2015. Doesn't matter when you buy it, you will suffer an extra year depreciation on a 2014 when trading or selling. Ram needs to get real and come out with $4000 end-of-model year incentives instead of a paltry $1000. A few people on this forum have gotten the price down $7K but it's not happening in Michigan. Get the negotiated price down to $26K for a low roof with windows, lumbar and heat, defrost, cruise, and 220A alternator and I'll buy.

As for looks, I rank the Sprinter best, then Promaster, and Transit last. The jelly bean front end of Transit doesn't appeal to me.

·
Registered
39 Posts
...PM needs to upgrade front to 2015 Ducato as soon as possible and start painting the front bumpers. I noticed even Winnebago will make the 2015 Travato with full paint and it makes a huge difference...
I totally agree with you. With full body paint and the updated front fascia, the ProMaster may get the attention that it really deserves.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I totally agree with you. With full body paint and the updated front fascia, the ProMaster may get the attention that it really deserves.
Blue & Gray, that sure does look good!

I've thought about having all the black plastic sprayed with Rhino Lining. Not sure if they can do plastic, have to check with them. I wouldn't change the color from black but I think it would look good textured.

·
Registered
654 Posts
I think the real problem is that there is NO consideration time or effort given to the PM by Ram because it is not a pickup truck. All of Ram's efforts go towards p/u's.
Ram has this totally great winner of a van on thier hands & American management can't even be bothered to offer options & upgrades that come with the Ducato. Thats the frustrating conventional wisdom - that a van can't do a pickup's work.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder what would have happened if they had just introduced it as a Fiat? The dealers (they call themselves "Studios") would maybe be in over their heads, but it would have been interesting. Service on Fiats is mostly done at Dodge or Chrysler dealers anyway...

Sort of like how US Mercedes dealers wanted nothing to do with the Sprinters - until they got a solid footing!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts