Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drained a little gearbox oil now I can't see a dipstick or hole where to put it back in, any information where to add oil ?
Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Used a 22 mm deep socket and turned out a sensor that allowed me to add gear oil. It was possible to do this from underneath without having to disassemble anything to gain access. Used a funnel and about a three foot length of hose to add oil.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just wondering what sensor you may have removed. I have the diesel with the manual trans. I had the drivers side shaft pull out and lost about a quart now i cant find anywhere to refill it. Any help would be great

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,462 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thanks for the info. It doesn't give any info as to how to fill the actual gearbox oil or the specs of that. This is more so for the actuator and the clutch info i believe. Thanks for reaching out

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,481 Posts
There are three fluids associated with the M40MTA, it is imperative that the correct fluids are used for each system to avoid damage.
The fluid level in the M40MTA transmission cannot be measured with a dip stick or any known probe. To verify the proper fill level it is necessary to drain the transmission and fill with the proper amount of specified fluid. Full synthetic 75W-85 manual transmission fluid meeting the API GL4 specification. The fill plug is located above the backup lamp switch.
if changing the fluid in an existing transmission, fill with 2.6 liters (2.75 quarts).
if installing a NEW transmission, fill with 2.9 liters (3.06 quarts).

The three fluids
M40MTA Transmission
Full synthetic 75W-85 manual transmission fluid meeting the API GL4 specification.
M40MTA Control Unit
MOPAR® C Series DDCT SAE 75W Hydraulic Fluid or equivalent.
M40MTA Hydraulic Clutch Operating System
MOPAR® Brake and Clutch Fluid DOT 4 Motor Vehicle or equivalent.

·
Registered
10 Posts
That is very helpful. Much appreciated!! Just a couple questions from what i have seen as you noted are the three fluids. I see where you have mentioned the fill area. I assume it kind of looks like a brake fluid reservoir. It does note on the cap m40 nafta. I open that up and looks full. I assume this is for the control unit or hydraulic clutch. The fluid in there looks to be a lot thinner then the gear oil.
So i have looked for a drain plug but haven't seen it. I am also not 100% sure where the backup lamp switch is. I know what the switch looks like but not exactly sure of the size of the switch to make sure I am, where I am supposed to be.
Just for reference..
The red x shows where i lost the gear oil(However on the other side drivers side)
The red arrow shows where there is a hex head and this is where I am able to drain the gear oil (This is on bottom other side of unit)
The red dot on picture shows where there is a hex head bolt which i thought i could fill but that also must not be correct because I still get fluid coming out of the gear box

Hopefully this helps show where I am at. Any direction to show where the fill plug is would be great or even the back up lamp switch and hopefully I can narrow it down.

Thanks

·
Registered
10 Posts
When i take out the trans fill there is still quite a bit of fluid coming out of the fill. Its obviously difficult to fill if its coming out. I guess i will have to just get the fill plug on before to much comes out after filling. Those pictures are great thanks for taking the time to clarify for me.

·
Registered
10 Posts
there must be two drains or something. I was looking on the other side of the drain number one in your diagram. I looked near the front of the vehicle and see the fill you were reffering to. Makes more sense now.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts