Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone.

I'm at the local Thermo King getting my espar d2 installed. Turns out I have to come back Monday because they can't finish the install as they originally thought. Turns out my diesel fuel tank doesn't have an extra tap, or they can't find it, so they have to drill a new hole into the tank for the fuel fitting. Now, I've read around here and don't recall anyone ever running into that.

That's what I have. They're saying that one without a wire coming out of it doesn't work; they tried putting all sorts of little wires down it and it doesn't work.

What are they missing?

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,464 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Its right there in the picture. The one in the middle. You have to slide out green tab and then pull up.
The one that has no line on it.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,464 Posts
Why are they sticking wires in it? They should have tried some suction.

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
They are numskulls. I had never seen in there until I installed mine and I found it in 10 seconds! It is the tap without a pipe attached! You don't get electricity from that tank fitting you get fuel. Why are they touching any WIRES? Fill the tank up and hitch a tube to that tap and have the stupidest one suck on it!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha ha, you guys are the best!

So anyways, I read your posts, ran out there cuz they're still working on it, pulled the cap off, and low and behold, a tap. Now the next problem...

Isn't this rod supposed to fit into the aux fuel port? Cause it doesn't, it's too thick. That rod came supplied with my d2 from esparparts.com, the techs thought that was supposed to go into the tank. Their 3 most experienced guys are out due to illness...

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Throw that away. Well actually I cut off and used the bend to change the angle from that tap on the tank to the Espar supply pipe. DON’T let them use the rest!!!! Your tap has a hose down into the tank already. They are worse than Numskulls.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow. You guys are life savers. I thought a shop rate of $140 an hour wouldn't require any input on my part, but I'll tell you what...

I just may get out of here tonight with a working espar. Wouldn't have happened without you all.

Many many thanks!!

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
I hope we saved you $140 or more. You are gonna love that Espar. They will need to start a siphon before the hose is fit to the pump so fuel runs out. Suck in order- really. Then two or three start up cycles and you get heat.

When we meet up someday you are buying!

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
Down the road if you go below 3/4 tank of fuel you may get an air trap. It happens to me at times, even though I have gas Webasto.
It may take 2 or 3 cycles to fire. Not sure on others here.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I hope we saved you $140 or more. You are gonna love that Espar. They will need to start a siphon before the hose is fit to the pump so fuel runs out. Suck in order- really. Then two or three start up cycles and you get heat.
When we meet up someday you are buying!
It would be an honor!

Thanks uncubed. I will keep that in mind.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am an RV tech working on this exact install. my first time. I see the aux port but is there a dodge part that fits onto the port and allows you to connect the fuel line to the port?? anyone know the part #?

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
Dorman 800-123 or try 800-081 as both have been reported to work.

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-123-Bundy-Fuel-Connector/dp/B0089SZOR4/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1529102205&sr=1-1&keywords=Dorman+800-123[/ame]

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-800-081-Quick-Connector-Tubing/dp/B000E3487E[/ame]

·
Registered
533 Posts
Down the road if you go below 3/4 tank of fuel you may get an air trap. It happens to me at times, even though I have gas Webasto.
It may take 2 or 3 cycles to fire. Not sure on others here.
Would a one way check valve help keep fuel in the line?

Getting ready to install a Espar B4 gas heater.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,481 Posts
Would a one way check valve help keep fuel in the line?

Getting ready to install a Espar B4 gas heater.
No if you suck air into the line a valve won't help. The straw in the tank is short so your van will still have fuel in the morning. It has not hurt my Barking Heater from China.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I wonder if you could increase the length?

Has anyone pulled the straw out?

Or at least determined what the minimum fuel tank amount is?

·
Premium Member
8,830 Posts
That would be NUTZ. Why in the world would you do that? The heater will restart in a few restart cycles, and if you remove and muck up that straw you are going to regret it. If I expect cold I can fill my tank or at least have more than a half. I have never sucked enough out of the diesel to make any discernible difference in the level. My Espar diesel heater uses .03 gal/hour on low which is where it runs at the teens outside. Now lets see...... that is 33 hours for a gallon of fuel! Relax and let the heater run.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,464 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts