Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about building a bench with a hinged lid that would fit a 63qt ARB fridge inside. Has anyone done this? Looking for photos for ideas. Google isn't turning anything up. With a little gap dimensions would be 36"L x 20" wide x 18" tall. That would leave enough room to even insulate the box and keep it from sliding around. The other option I thought of would be to put it on a slide but then you wouldn't really be able to insulate around it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have a similar fridge (A Dometic CFX65) that I plan on mounting on a slide just behind the passengers sliding door. It will be hidden under a dinette bench that runs parallel to the sliding door, and pulls out toward the passengers seat. That way I will be able to access it from inside the van, and from outside the van if the door is open. I thought about a hinged top, but I didn't like the idea of having to open a hinged door (On the cabinet) and then another hinged door (On the fridge).

One thing to keep in mind is that air flow around the vents is crucial to keeping the power use low. I thought about the ARB, but the rear vents made me consider other options as they would make it difficult to keep the vent area well exposed.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, I could definitely do a slide and keep it open but I think putting a vent on the exterior of the box and not insulating that area would be more aesthetically appealing and maybe a little more safe/secure in the event of a crash. I am a little worried about accessing the buttons and what arangement would be best butI think this could be solved with the right hinged lid setup.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,689 Posts
I think your idea will work well. As much as I treasure my open space, I contemplate the idea myself. That is an excellent height for a seat.

My similar Engel is under a lid in my kitchen cabinet. The only downside to our lid is that it's part of the counter. You would not have that problem. The two-step procedure for opening soon becomes so automatic that it is simply not an issue.

I added extra insulation everywhere except vent areas.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,689 Posts
I should note that the funny shape of my lid/opening is to accommodate a Rube Goldberg structure underneath. In your case, build a strong structure and bolt to the floor tie-down.

Another option for you would be a top that slides toward the cab instead of lifts. Put it on drawer slides and you have a "counter" to lay whatever you take out of or are putting into the fridge. On the side toward the door, put a table that lifts into place for use from outside with the slider open.

·
Registered
431 Posts
MsN's idea of a sliding top is interesting. No need to move stuff on the top when accessing the fridge. A little raised lip to prevent roll-offs and would work as a counter and/or with a cushion.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,689 Posts
That notion just popped into my brain as I was replying, and now I keep thinking how it might be better in my situation, too. The lid could just slide to the left over the bed. It never occurred to me during the build. I wouldn't slide with a cup/glass of liquid on it, but plates, food containers, utensils shouldn't be an issue.

In my situation, it would require a complete Version 2 of the kitchen cabinet. There is a growing list of reasons I might want to do that.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You're the design trend setter, let's see it!

·
Registered
29 Posts
This is what we came up for our Dometic cfx-65dz. The kitchen/fridge comes out to just in front of the passenger slider. There will be a face frame cover that slides with the fridge once its done.

We purchased the dometic sliders that mate to the fridge, but in reality any heavy duty sliders should probably work fine.

Attachments

·
Registered
627 Posts
. . . a complete Version 2 of the kitchen cabinet. There is a growing list of reasons I might want to do that.
Oh? Do tell. By the way, you win. After a month of failed attempts to restore the 'beauty' of our galley, we elected not to repaint it, rather, a total rebuild is in progress.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts