Ram Promaster Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Poking around on the web, I came up this posting on a minivan forum:

"Chrysler went into bankruptcy using Mobil and emerged using Pennzoil, likely Fiats doing. Mobil has been avoiding meeting the standard MS 6395, via tests, pretty well since then except for their Mobil 1000 conventional oil."

So that may be the explanation regarding Mobil 1. I have also heard tell that oil companies have to pay a spiff to the OEMs to advertise that their products meet the OEM specs. Doesn't mean the product is any different, better, or worse. It just means that somebody doesn't want to cough up the dough.

For a normal duty cycle, or an extreme duty cycle, I just can't see that much benefit to Mobil 1. The only time it's going to protect you from failure is at crazy long service intervals, which you know I'm not a fan of anyway. YMMV.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Mobil synthetic now meets Chrysler spec, just not Mobil 1. Their full synthetic called Mobil Super meets it.

Fiat and Shell are tied at the hip via Ferrari and Shell in F1.

Shell owns Pennzoil.

FYI, Shell and Pennzoil synthetic is not made from Crude. Their oil is made from Natural Gas. Watch the video at Pennzoil or Shell. Wild stuff. Way cleaner oil.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Mine came on at 9500.

I had changed it at 3000, which tells me the oil change place didn't reset it at 3000.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Mine came on at 9500.

I had changed it at 3000, which tells me the oil change place didn't reset it at 3000.
How can they (oil change place) re-set it if it didnt come on??
You had it done before the Dash Reminder.
How do you tell the computer that you changed it IF you do it before the message appears??
If I do it myself before the message appears..... then go through the 're-set procedure" will my 'clock' start over again, even if the message never came on when I did the oil swap??
HHHmmmmmm..
Seems to me... that once youve changed it early...(before your digital prompt), that's it!! game over with the dash messages.. they dont count anymore for the life of the vehicle..????

·
Registered
533 Posts
To reset the the count down and letting your vehicle know it has fresh oil is recommended at all oil changes even if reminder has not come on yet. Simply turn the key forward, all the red and yellow lights are lite , without starting the van, and slowly Depress gas pdeal to the floor 3 times than turn key off. To ensure it reset you can repeat this a second time.

·
Registered
533 Posts
On the diesel van there is a actual mileage count down unlike the gas PM. When resetting the diesel the mileage resets at 18,500 miles and beginning monitoring oil and driving habits at which point the mileage counts down quicker if needed.

My first attempt on resetting the count down was unsuccessful because I depressed the gas pedal pretty quickly. Due to the mileage not resetting i noticed it immediately. I called Chrysler and was informed to slowly depress the gas pedal and that did it. I recommend to all to reset it 2 or 3 times to ensure it resets. And remember to depress the gas pedal slow do not rush!

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I was at the dealer yesterday for a couple of warrenty items and told them at 4100 miles to rotate my tires and change the oil. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Todd

·
Registered
533 Posts
Early oil changes give good piece of mind .its always better to be early than late on an oil change and tire rotation!

·
Registered
129 Posts
I don't mind crawling around on the floor. Searching for "Promaster Van Oil Filter" on Autozone, Amazon, Ebay, you name it brings up nothing or just generic info.

Besides going to the stealer for one, anyone got a link to a good oil filter for the PM (gas model)?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
welll I just came from walmart to buy my first DIY oil change.
I got the Penziol Platinum as was stated earlier in this thread.
I did get a Fram filter too, but I'll switch to Wixx now that I know where to get them for next one.
BUT I did get 0W-20...
My driving habits are short trips.90% city driving AND alot of remote starting with this deep cold.. ALOT of idling to keep my butt warm.
Then I get home and the oil fill cap says 5W-20.
And I did manage to find the oil filter cap.
My question is...
Will I be ok with the 0W-20??? or should I swap it for the 5W-20 which Walmart did not have.??
thanks for all your opinions..

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,392 Posts
I don't mind crawling around on the floor. Searching for "Promaster Van Oil Filter" on Autozone, Amazon, Ebay, you name it brings up nothing or just generic info.

Besides going to the stealer for one, anyone got a link to a good oil filter for the PM (gas model)?
Here's some part numbers check for proper fit before you drain your oil.
Wix Part # WL10010
Purolator Part # L36296
Fram Part # CH11665
HASTINGS FILTERS Part # LF697
MOTORCRAFT Part # FL2066

·
Super Moderator
9,457 Posts
Be very careful there is another filter for the pre-promaster gas engine that might fit but is not correct! The Wix WL10010 is the correct one. I bought a ten pack of them online last summer for less than $6 each, including shipping.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'd take the 0W-20 back. The first number is the real (base) weight of the oil.

My Walmart had 5-20 Penzoil. I think it was the silver jug. Platinum, not Ultra Platinum

·
Registered
35 Posts
I ran 0-20 penzoil this winter when it was 0 to -20 F (it was what was available at the time) but I put on 55k a year and change my own oil about every 8-10 weeks. I run 5-20 now that the real cold is gone. There is the warranty issue to consider, if something did go wrong with the engine and you were required to provide all documented service done to date then ???/red flags could go up by not running the proper weight oil.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Well.. at 5100 miles my "oil change reminder" never came on,
so i changed it anyways.
When i jumped in to 'reset' the oil change reminder and turned on the key...... the reminder showes up in the diaplay!!!!
Do youse think that it sensed something???
Wonder what happened here???

Ps.. i did go back and find 5W-20

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I was going to say that one cycle of 0 weight probably would be ok but over the long haul you will NEVER want to juggle oil weights and brands like you did 30 years ago. This engine, and all modern engines, use oil for far more than just lubing the bearings.

As i understand it, there is an early and a late pentastar oil filter. The late one, which we all have, has a nipplike dingus which fits to a sensor which tells you that the filter cap isnt screwed in all the way and you might be leaking oil. At lesst thats what the dealer told me. When its warmer out i was going to confirm the opperation of this sensor by loosening the cap with it running. If its true, its a great feature.

41 - 59 of 59 Posts