Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The book says to wait until the dash display screen tells me to change it.
Im asking others when their 'reminder' message came on at what milage?
I'm at 3800 miles now and still no message?
please chime in as to what milage your reminder oil change message appeared(s).
Thanks.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Manual says every 10,000 for oil change.

Some on here have claimed/said first is earlier than that, but no one has ever stated the source of this.

I plan on doing my first at 5000.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought my book said that i will get a message. Never did specify the milage.
I could be wrong though.
Thanks

·
Registered
533 Posts
Lots of old school thinking instilled in our brains.
Today's oils and today's engines are far more efficient.
BMW VW and many other, non American brands, having been running 15,000 mile
Oil change intervals on gasoline engines for well over a Decade without
Any problems.
A manufacturers recommendation at 10k miles is conservative they won't recommend something that will cause engine damage.

First oil change should not take place until 10k or earlier if computer states it's time to. Initial oil from factory is a very good oil with additives designed for break in to stay in engine and not be changed so early.

The Diesel engine is soo efficient I'm not surprised 18500 mile intervals are recommended. This engine is never revving high and never even working it ls just loafing nowhere near hard work.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I agree with Adrian, a lot of old school thinking here! My last van, 1999 GMC Savana 3500, went and is still going (sold it to a friend) at over 450K with 10-15K mile oil changes. I always used synthetic Mobil 1 but switched to Pennsoil Pure as it scored much higher in the last comparison test I saw. I have no problem with the recommended oil changes and would suggest doing them earlier is a waste of natural resources and money. Most oil is recycled so I guess it's mostly a waste of money.

·
Registered
473 Posts
I've always done my first one at 4 to 5k miles on a new vehicle. Old school thinking there I'll admit. After that I've let the light tell me, which on our Jeep Wrangler with the same engine as the PM, has been between 6 & 7k miles.
Always using full synthetic Amsoil Signature 5w-30. The oil at 45k miles is just starting to turn dark at 6 to 7k mileage. Wix oil filters. Never use Fram as they are VERY low rated anymore and of a lesser build quality

·
Registered
338 Posts
I know oil change intervals have been stretched out quite a bit now, but with the heat/humidity down here in Texas, I prefer to change it at 5K. My Tansit Connect recommended OCI's at 7500K even using semi synthetic 5/20.

·
Registered
114 Posts
First oil change message came at 10k so I did it then, dealer told me every 3k, I laughed. For the overall health of the vehicle I do my oil change every 5k miles and rotate my tires every other oil change.

·
Registered
473 Posts
That 3k mile interval in this day & age is ridiculously funny.....

·
Registered
976 Posts
Lots of old school thinking instilled in our brains.
Today's oils and today's engines are far more efficient.
BMW VW and many other, non American brands, having been running 15,000 mile
Oil change intervals on gasoline engines for well over a Decade without
Any problems.
A manufacturers recommendation at 10k miles is conservative they won't recommend something that will cause engine damage.

First oil change should not take place until 10k or earlier if computer states it's time to. Initial oil from factory is a very good oil with additives designed for break in to stay in engine and not be changed so early.

The Diesel engine is soo efficient I'm not surprised 18500 mile intervals are recommended. This engine is never revving high and never even working it ls just loafing nowhere near hard work.
Im not an internet troll, but i have to take you to task on this one. Almost everything you said if only partly true. To wit:

1. Synthetic oils are drastically more detergent than minerals. They get dirtier faster, because thats what they are designed to do. Better protection, cleaner engine, more contaminants in oil.

2. Extended oil change intervals sell cars, and influence Consumer Reports which also sells cars. But most of our engine internals are unchanged since 1950. And our pentastar engines have variable displacement oil pumps and both intake and exhaust valves are controlled by engine oil, along with piston squirters and oiled chains. Conclusion: modern engine are MORE sensitive to oil, not less.

3. You will never, ever, save enough money on oil changes to pay for that new engine!

4. Life of the vehicle is a subjective term these days. Companies like chevy and hyundai define it as 100,000 miles. Calling anything lifetime or service-free sells cars. Dodge tried this 10 years ago. They put a lifetime warranty on powertrains, reasoning that they would make more profit from selling more cars than the warranty claims would cost.

5. Change it first time 1000-2500, then every 5k after that. Look up my "topsider" post to seenhow to change it yourself without getting under it and without spilling a drop. If you drive all stop and ho, change it every 3k. If you expedite like me, 5k. All city stop and go is severe service!

6. Oems are in the business of selling new cars. So they design it to last 100k with zero maintenance. It will probably go 80k if you never change the oil, but not much farther.

7. Stick with one brand of oil for the life of the engine. Changing brands and weights only introduces incompatibilies with the additives which causes leaks and consumption.

Sorry to get on the soapbox, but it needs discussed. The oil change light in the pm has no information to go on other than hours and throttle angle. It doesnt have an optical sensor. It doesnt have an oil level sensor. It cant be trusted.

·
Registered
887 Posts
I'm with Kip-on-trucking...

To reinforce his points

2) modern engines have smaller oil passages to reduce emissions by pass. So more sensitive.

7) I've heard stories of cars using same brand of oil for 75,000 miles, then changing brands and new brands different additives release sludge and kill engine. Use same oil for life.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Adding to my own rant!:

Take the transmission as your lesson. On the pm, and many other new cars, its sealed. Cant check the fluid, cant add, zero maintenance. Why?

Partly the oems dont want YOU messing with it. They'd rather it stays sealed and run-to-fail. That might be 150k, might be less. Doesnt matter. The cost of a replacement 8 speed or 9 speed will be vastly more than the car is worth. So you throw it away and buy a new one.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts