Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mine has been leaving the shavings on the roof after installing the max fan. I noticed the rusted "dust" when cutting the window and made sure to wash them off. After the roof cut, I went to the self service wash and I could only spray water up there- wasn't enough to get the shavings off. My roof has rust speckled on it now.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
That's OK. Since its only dust there is little chance they will do any more damage. You just can't get rid of them without burning through the clear coat.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Clay bar...bang, done. Throw a coat of Duragloss 105 over it and you're good to go for a while.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
462 Posts
Mine has been leaving the shavings on the roof after installing the max fan. I noticed the rusted "dust" when cutting the window and made sure to wash them off. After the roof cut, I went to the self service wash and I could only spray water up there- wasn't enough to get the shavings off. My roof has rust speckled on it now.
I didn't have anything to do with it but a guy we are camped near just tried to jump his van from his 24v house battery system.
A little smoke and poof. Absolutely nothing electrical works.

He is waiting on the FCA warranty service towing to come.
1200 miles and he has owned it for 3 weeks. 2020.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
462 Posts
Maybe new vehicle owner. Maybe bad battery. Maybe sat on lot for to long without being started?

I had to have my battery replaced within 3 months of purchasing new.

But that is what could happen when you live 5000 miles away, wake up one morning, decide you want to purchase a van from the internet(gumball machine), fly in and drive it off the lot.

That was me 4 years ago. Stupid is as stupid does.

We are going to babysit their pooches for the night and delivering to their hotel in Flag tomorrow.

I feel bad for them because this was their maiden voyage with grandkids.

Do not know who did their house electrical system, but it looked like it was a drop-in system.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
411 Posts
Interesting. My house system is 24V, but I have a 60A 24V to 12V converter to keep the van charged and run all the 12V systems - the only way my van battery dies is if the house battery goes undervolt and switched off, and THEN a 12V load pulls the van down.
But yes, jumping from a 24V system, which I assume can provide a very large number of amps (else why have a 24V system) would definitely be a MBSRE.

Magic Blue Smoke Releasing Event.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
260 Posts
Worst mistake may have been closing the right side rear door then slamming the left side into it.
CRAP, DAM, XXXX, etc....
Ditto - twice... :cautious: Have a nice little dimple on the right door to show for.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I hired a terrible company to do a little work on my van. Colorado Camper Vans in Loveland Colorado. All of the work they did was awful and everything they touched needed to be fixed. But the worst of it was when i got on the roof a few moths later and found a half dozen drywall screws protruding thru the roof:

Ive done plenty of stupid things on the van myself too, for example I bought a gasoline chinese heater that turned out to be a scam product, $500, 40 hours of install and troubleshooting and a couple of 1" holes in the floor...

·
Super Moderator
10,228 Posts
Stay away from them I guess.

The worst mistake I made was putting air bags on the rear suspension. Total waste of time & money!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Worst mistake may have been closing the right side rear door then slamming the left side into it.
CRAP, DAM, XXXX, etc....
I don't know if RAM added it or my RV manufacturer, but mine has a nice fat roam rubber bumper that prevents damage from doing this - and I'm glad it does!!

·
Registered
154 Posts
  • Not covering the driver's seat while painting next to it.
  • Thinking 1-1/4" flat head screws are okay to use when attaching 3/4" to 1/2" wood in the cabinets.
  • Gluing a wood piece to the wrong side of a wood panel and not realizing it until I went to install it in the van.
  • Deciding to just put a cap on the water tank and "do the drain valve later", now having to plug the van in to the house multiple nights so I can run a small electric heater to keep it from freezing because I don't want to deal with the mess of either removing the tank to install the valve, or draining the last bit from it in place and making a mess.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
It's hard to pick a worst when there were so many, but #1 is probably failing to do enough research before buying solar panels, AGMs, and inverter-changer from GoPower. The solar panels and AGMs are fine, just maybe not in the best ratio. But the GP-IC-2000 inverter-charger has never behaved well or fully cooperated with solar charging. The GoPower equipment was our first major purchase just a few weeks after deciding to order a PM and convert it, and still 3 months before it arrived. But we felt under the gun since our son-in-law was just about to leave GoPower and lose his discount. I've thought about replacing the IC, but it works good enough with close supervision. It's our monument to hasty decisions.

#2 is thinking (hoping) we could finish the conversion in 3 months. It took 2 years (not full time). But it was a relatively (overly?) complex conversion. The first time you do something, it always take longer than you expect. My boatbuliding experience helped, just not quite as much as I thought it would.

On the positive side, we used the rest of the 3 month wait for our factory order to do extensive research and planning, and we have been very happy with the result. Tons of small boo-boos, but that's to be expected with any big project. Some you just have to do over; others you incorporate and tell people you meant to do that.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
200 Posts
Turning it into a Princess , Every little scratch and Ding Break's my Heart 😁

Reactions: uralwrench

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
100 Posts
Not doing the ceiling sooner in the build. It’s really nice to have overhead lights in the evening while working, goodbye headlamp and constantly moving my shop light around

1 - 20 of 30 Posts