Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am preparing my offer and finalize what I want on my Promaster City.
What is the latest feed back from those who own a Promaster City and have a few miles behind them?
Not hearing of any problems here, but there may only be a dozen that have been purchased so far.
hbob

·
Registered
211 Posts
I am preparing my offer and finalize what I want on my Promaster City.
What is the latest feed back from those who own a Promaster City and have a few miles behind them?
Not hearing of any problems here, but there may only be a dozen that have been purchased so far.
hbob
My local dealer just got their first one yesterday,the cargo van.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trying to find one

My dealer is trying to locate something close to the package I want.
There are not that many around, but at the same time they don't seem to
be selling fast. The same ones that where on the lots in our region when I started looking are still there.
Have yet to see my first one on the road yet. See a lot of new design Ford Transits.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What will you use yours for? I have had mine about 10 days now and getting close to 1000 miles on it. What do you want to know?
Just wondering how you like it and what to watch for.
I sure like the Grey color you got, it is my second choice and would be the one to get if we where going for the Wagon.
We are looking for White as we will use commercially and well, white
looks more commercial. The upfit decals they offer will work well on white and
it will stay cooler when we eventually refrigerate the van.

·
Registered
2 Posts
promaster city is far better then the nv200

we just bought the first pm city to be sold in oregon. I can offer a good comparison between the pm city and the nv200, we bought an nv200 about 5 months ago and what a pile of dookie! first off about a week after buying the nv it started puking engine oil out of a fitting that was left loose from the factory, then while driving down the road the dome light just fell out of the headliner. we picked up a nail in one of the tires and had to replace it, come to find out the nv uses a proprietary tire that only 1 manufacturer makes, so we bought a replacement at the nissan dealer it cost $165 each!!!!! that was tire only not including install. then while parking i ran it up on to the curb as most everyone has done from time to time...BENT THE WHEEL!!! on closer inspection the steel wheels on the nv are paper thin. i also put a very small dent in the lower body right at the "b" pillar, keep in mind this was a small dent and hardly noticeable, the paint is so cheap and hard it cracked the paint for 15 inches in both directions, the paint actually splintered and came off leaving exposed metal! the promaster in comparison feels and looks to be much high quality. the sliding doors feel and sound like they are going through butter when compared to the nv, the pm has a much much better ride, much much better power and the ergonomics are light years beyond the nv. the seats are far better, both our nv and the new pm have back up cameras and the pm has a much better field of view, the nv camera would only allow you to see what you where about to hit. the only thing i liked about the nv better was the navigation, while there is nothing wrong with the pm navi the nv had a bigger screen, the system was easier to use and the graphics and display are better on the nv. the cvt trans in the nv was hard to live with after about a week, very sluggish. right before we traded in the nv i could smell a coolant leak.i had just had enough, keep in mind i only had 4.000 mi on the nv and it had spent a couple weeks in the shop for warranty work. if anyone is trying to decide between these two i will confidently say the promaster city is a MUCH better product, for just a couple grand more then the nv the promaster city is way more bang for your buck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great

I've had my white PMC SLT for a few weeks now...loving it. The dealer I got mine from sold their two they had fast. I haven't seen any others around where I live. I looked at the NV and the Transit Connect too, but cargo space in the PMC won. I have about 1000 miles underway and the mpg is even better than advertised, the ride is smooth and comfortable, I even peeled out accidentally to get out of the way of a car today.

I've been driving minivans (Odyssey was my last) and the Promaster City is far more nimble and handles better and is easier to park.

Only thing I don't like--the stereo system is horrible, and my car stereo guy installed new door speakers but you still can't hear them over the tweeters (no way to change balance except left/right). It sounds like a 1980's transistor. I'll be dealing with that sooner than later.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great

I've had my white PMC SLT for a few weeks now...loving it. The dealer I got mine from sold their two they had fast. I haven't seen any others around where I live. I looked at the NV and the Transit Connect too, but cargo space in the PMC won. I have about 1000 miles underway and the mpg is even better than advertised, the ride is smooth and comfortable, I even peeled out accidentally to get out of the way of a car today.

I've been driving minivans (Odyssey was my last) and the Promaster City is far more nimble and handles better and is easier to park.

Only thing I don't like--the stereo system is horrible, and my car stereo guy installed new door speakers but you still can't hear them over the tweeters (no way to change balance except left/right). It sounds like a 1980's transistor. I'll be dealing with that sooner than later.

·
Registered
145 Posts
we just bought the first pm city to be sold in oregon. I can offer a good comparison between the pm city and the nv200, we bought an nv200 about 5 months ago and what a pile of dookie! first off about a week after buying the nv it started puking engine oil out of a fitting that was left loose from the factory, then while driving down the road the dome light just fell out of the headliner. we picked up a nail in one of the tires and had to replace it, come to find out the nv uses a proprietary tire that only 1 manufacturer makes, so we bought a replacement at the nissan dealer it cost $165 each!!!!! that was tire only not including install. then while parking i ran it up on to the curb as most everyone has done from time to time...BENT THE WHEEL!!! on closer inspection the steel wheels on the nv are paper thin. i also put a very small dent in the lower body right at the "b" pillar, keep in mind this was a small dent and hardly noticeable, the paint is so cheap and hard it cracked the paint for 15 inches in both directions, the paint actually splintered and came off leaving exposed metal! the promaster in comparison feels and looks to be much high quality. the sliding doors feel and sound like they are going through butter when compared to the nv, the pm has a much much better ride, much much better power and the ergonomics are light years beyond the nv. the seats are far better, both our nv and the new pm have back up cameras and the pm has a much better field of view, the nv camera would only allow you to see what you where about to hit. the only thing i liked about the nv better was the navigation, while there is nothing wrong with the pm navi the nv had a bigger screen, the system was easier to use and the graphics and display are better on the nv. the cvt trans in the nv was hard to live with after about a week, very sluggish. right before we traded in the nv i could smell a coolant leak.i had just had enough, keep in mind i only had 4.000 mi on the nv and it had spent a couple weeks in the shop for warranty work. if anyone is trying to decide between these two i will confidently say the promaster city is a MUCH better product, for just a couple grand more then the nv the promaster city is way more bang for your buck.

We traded in our NV200 for the PMC. Same issues as you had except the paint. The tire had a nail and they wanted $175 for it. I went to Discount Tire and bought a new set of alloys with new tires for $900. Had a fitting on the tranny blow out fluid the first two days of ownership. On a routine oil change, they forgot to put the oil cap on and oil was blown everywhere. I always smelled a coolant leak (Smell was reminiscent of a mid 70's Buick engine) but they said nothing was wrong with it despite adding coolant. CVT just simply sucked! Took about 8 seconds to get to 45mph. Most people off the line thought I was drag racing them with the engine trying to pull the van up to traffic speed. I only had about 400lbs of load with shelving.
Fuel milage was disappointing at around 20-21 with no external attachments.

The PMC is an all around quality van. I had my doubts, but this little bugger is proving itself to me daily.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Usind as a delivery van. Loved it at first except for minor electrical issues and changing light bulbs is no easy job. Over time we ended up with 3 promasters. Then the "fun' started. At 40k we had metal shavings in the oil and it needed a new engine. Another one needed a new engine at 60k. The first one that got the new engine needed a second one! It's gone down hill from there. It's out of service more than in service. Thinking of trading them all in for 3 Ford Transits!

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Man I am sorry to hear your experience. This engine is used across the Chrysler line and it sounds like you have had the worst experience of any one ever! BTW this is posted in the ProMaster City section so an admin may want to move it to the ProMaster section so it gets more views.
If I read this right you have one van that has been fine, one van that needed an engine at 60K and one that needed one at 40K and then another engine too. Was that a rebuild of the origional or a short block or a complete changeout? One was for metal shavings in the oil. What happened to the other two engines that required replacement and what was the dealer and FCA's position on it. Prior to this post we have has just one gas engine failure at 109K so two more is worth understanding. Who did the service and was there any oil, coolant or water pump issues?
Thanks

·
Registered
314 Posts
Usind as a delivery van. Loved it at first except for minor electrical issues and changing light bulbs is no easy job. Over time we ended up with 3 promasters. Then the "fun' started. At 40k we had metal shavings in the oil and it needed a new engine. Another one needed a new engine at 60k. The first one that got the new engine needed a second one! It's gone down hill from there. It's out of service more than in service. Thinking of trading them all in for 3 Ford Transits!
Troll

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
One engine and it might of been believable ,but 3?
One Transit owner posted here and said the Transits are trouble free.
So I say we have all made a big mistake in out purchase.

Now what?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't know about the above post but to continue with the early reviews: Had my PMC Wagon for 5K miles now and just LOVE it. Came from an old Toyota Previa van (330K before died) and knew I wanted to stay with a van but not a mini or full size. PMC seemed just right, and I liked the ride height (higher) better than the Transit. The ride is SO comfortable! Seats are lovely and my wife really enjoys the heating option. Power is good, sound is quiet and I have hauled SUP surfboards and bikes on top and a twin size bed inside (after taking out rear seat). Paint quality is good and buffs out nice and shiny with synthetic wax. The Nav could have better graphics, but that's all I don't like. I guess the stereo could be upgraded but I'm 48 now and don't 'jam out' much anymore. NPR comes through clear for me. I'm super happy with it so far and hopefully will continue to be pleased. This is my first Mopar (Fiat) product but I must say I'm quite surprised.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'll start with some negatives. The stereo is awful but on top of being awful is how bright the tweeters are, they can literally cause pain if you the right sound is played at a high volume. Throttle response is like a first generation drive by wire system. Push throttle...wait...then it goes. It's also not as linear as it should be near the top of the pedal. I'm really hoping Mopar releases a tune for this thing that helps with it. The brakes don't seem to be too great but need some more time to say that conclusively.

For positives its pretty nimble, has decent power for what it is. It's very convenient to be able to pull into any parking garage with no issues. I like the interior layout as well.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Radio

I'll start with some negatives. The stereo is awful but on top of being awful is how bright the tweeters are, they can literally cause pain if you the right sound is played at a high volume. Throttle response is like a first generation drive by wire system. Push throttle...wait...then it goes. It's also not as linear as it should be near the top of the pedal. I'm really hoping Mopar releases a tune for this thing that helps with it. The brakes don't seem to be too great but need some more time to say that conclusively.

For positives its pretty nimble, has decent power for what it is. It's very convenient to be able to pull into any parking garage with no issues. I like the interior layout as well.
I agree with most of this...the radio is really not good. The satellite reception and sound is poor. Not likely to keep that anyway after the free year. However, once I put in the stall mat in back (I have cargo version) the van got much quieter and I can actually hear the radio. I am still on the fence about upgrading to a full Car Play radio/Nav. Likely the speakers would need to be upgraded too. I could save a lot by just upgrading my phone to a iPhone 6 plus and mount it in a Ram holder but having one device that integrates all would be nice (My wife has incredible system in her new Subaru).

·
Registered
145 Posts
The comment on the first generation of drive by wire is a great description of what I believe is to be the shift points/lag time of the transmission. With 9 gears, the computer has to process what the ground speed is, throttle position and so forth. I do find it annoying at times, and yet forgive it for what it is. I think when a tune comes in, I will be there for it. I like the radio and adjusted the "equalizer" for the best sound I can get out of it. It's not the greatest, but it'll do for my needs.

On regular 87 gas, when running at slow speeds and then accelerating slightly, you can definitely hear the engine pinging with the windows open. I attribute that to the extra low gears of the tranny and how it keeps in a gear higher for fuel savings. That should be the item that needs addressing.

Over all, I love, love, love this van. It feels very well built compared to my previous Nissan NV200. It has a good heft to it. Fuel mileage is still hovering around 23mpg avg from new.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts