Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious what everyone is storing up there.

My PM came with the standard big overhead shelf with the opening behind the seats. I also have the smaller optional shelf in the sunvisor area.

For a variety of reasons, both shelves are now removed. And I'm finding that I haven't missed them.

But I'm wondering if I'm overlooking something as I'm fairly new to campervaning.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,658 Posts
Sun hats that we pretty much wear whenever we are out of the van, MrNomer’s balaclava, and now COVID masks. That shelf was the one option I absolutely insisted on.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
On my side, I have an Ozark trail bat light. I also find it a convenient spot to set my driving glasses and/or sunglasses. I often stick my wallet up there so I'm not sitting on it.
On my wife's side, I little bit of everything. Mostly junk and snacks.
One thing I found handy was she stuck a small square box of tissues right in the center and it fit perfectly and stayed put.
We don't have upper cabinets yet, so we had all kinds of stuff in the larger overhead area. I may skip pulling the headliner and insulating it, so I'm thinking the next trip, I'll keep things like bedding, towels, etc, because it's light stuff, will soak up noise and maybe help insulate while driving.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
4,658 Posts
Ha! Right now our over-cab shelf holds all the window coverings, the slider awning, backpacking quilt and sleeping pads, rain coats, wind jackets, down vests, down jackets, a few flannel shirts, and MrNomer's ancient bulky coat.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
It changes from time to time, but

small shelf;
reading glasses, iPad, iPhone, road snacks, dog leash, Garmin Explorer Plus, travel publications like the park info/map etc, wet wipes,

Large shelf;
Slider window curtain, dry food, towels, roof fan cover (for road noise), cloths, hats, playing cards, induction “single” cooktop

·
Premium Member
799 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input, everyone. I am by myself and am in my van only part-time so it's a bit of a different situation. I have lots of room and so maybe that's why I don't miss the storage.

And without a passenger, the passenger seat often holds stuff that is on many peoples' sunvisor shelf: snacks, maps, brochures, camera, etc.

I'm leaning towards finishing up the insulation (which is why the shelves were removed in the first place) and then not putting the shelves back.

In place of the shelves, I am pondering:

1) putting nothing above me (to leave room to stretch my arms up high--feels good on a long drive)
2) making some kind of secondary instrument and switches panel up high and to the right (within easy sight and arm's reach)
3) adding a shelf over the passenger seat to put some of the things people have listed here.

Time for some CAD work (the famously useful cardboard-aided-design work). :)

Reactions: serenity

·
Registered
315 Posts
On the smaller shelf I have a spotlight, pair of binoculars, sunglasses, sunscreen, pepper spray, etc. Over the cab I used to use it only for clothes, but now I have the roll up window shades for the front windows,the removable screen door for the side door, one small bag of clothes, a rain coat and a few hats.

Overall I consider the big overhead shelf to be the best storage in the van. It's easily accessible and holds a lot more than one would think at first glance.

·
Registered
2019 Ram PM 3500 High Top 159" WB EXT
43 Posts
I test drove a van with the shelf over the dash and banged my head on that thing every time I went from the back to the front or vice versa. I'm like a bull in a china shop though. Glad I got one without it.

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
Sunglasses, hats, wallet when I drive so I'm not sitting on it for hours, covid masks, NP passport, state parks passport, easy access snacks for long drives. I also have a set of gloves and knit hat for cold weather.

I like it for easy access storage, but I hit my head on it occasionally. But I like to storage.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I test drove a van with the shelf over the dash and banged my head on that thing every time I went from the back to the front or vice versa. I'm like a bull in a china shop though. Glad I got one without it.
I did the same. After knocking my bald head one too many times I added some padding up there. That exposed metal lip that FCA leaves is ridiculous!

·
Registered
36 Posts
The smaller visor shelf I never used until I needed a place to put my n95 mask (which I already had pre-covid, I didn't steal it from healthcare workers being able to buy it). But now I have the cloth mask with the elastic ear things and I sling it to the rearview mirror so it gets some UV from the sun.

So otherwise I pretty much forget the visor shelf is there. I gotta think of some other things to put in there. I normally put things in my cupholders, but sometimes run out of cupholders and then there's nowhere to put a drink lol. Gotta remember to use the shelf for non drink items!

I would say the visor shelf is annoying because when you do decide to put the visor down, it very much limits your viewing window (and I'm only 5'5"). When I'm at a stoplight waiting for it to turn green I have to keep bending down to see the light.

Since we don't have any cabinets yet, the big overhead shelf bin has been super handy. Usually keep most of our food/snacks, "dishes", cleaning supplies, toiletries, etc. My husband was putting his shoes up there and I was like, no, those go on the ground behind the driver's seat! Not next to the food!

I like the idea of putting towels, blankets and things like that for insulation since I am not planning on insulating that. I also like the idea of putting our window coverings in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts