Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping you'll all forgive the newbie question, but I'm buying a van after 20 years in honda civic hatchbacks, so I'm not at all familiar with truck stuff.

I always understood the whole 150(0)/250(0)/350(0) thing to have some relation to the engine/power/etc of the vehicle, but from what I think I'm seeing on the ramtrucks.com comparison-o-matic page, there seems to be almost zero difference between the different models(?!!).

If I'm understanding correctly, every single thing in each model is exactly the same except for 'lesser' breaks in the 1500s and 'better' suspension in the higher models?

I've found threads on this forum about how there's different gear ratios, but I'm not seeing those listed on the Ram site and I'm not seeing a heckuva lot of other differences.

Am I missing something? Seems like I can't haul or tow any more in the higher models, and I'm even seeing reports that mileage on the 2500s might be better than the 1500s(?!!) because of it doesn't auto-downshift.

Speak to me, Yodas! What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any insights.

:)PP

-

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hoping you'll all forgive the newbie question, but I'm buying a van after 20 years in honda civic hatchbacks, so I'm not at all familiar with truck stuff.

I always understood the whole 150(0)/250(0)/350(0) thing to have some relation to the engine/power/etc of the vehicle, but from what I think I'm seeing on the ramtrucks.com comparison-o-matic page, there seems to be almost zero difference between the different models(?!!).

If I'm understanding correctly, every single thing in each model is exactly the same except for 'lesser' breaks in the 1500s and 'better' suspension in the higher models?

I've found threads on this forum about how there's different gear ratios, but I'm not seeing those listed on the Ram site and I'm not seeing a heckuva lot of other differences.

Am I missing something? Seems like I can't haul or tow any more in the higher models, and I'm even seeing reports that mileage on the 2500s might be better than the 1500s(?!!) because of it doesn't auto-downshift.

Speak to me, Yodas! What am I missing? Thanks in advance for any insights.

:)PP

-
Missing something you are not.

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Prices are more for the 2500 and 3500. 'Nuff said?

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I have read on other threads that the gear ratios of the transmission are different, making the 2500 and 3500 better at towing and carrying weight.

Why did I pick the 1500? en I was shopping for my PM, I asked my brother in law his opinion, he's a contractor. He told me that the 1500 was good enough for my needs, so I went for it.

·
Super Moderator
9,074 Posts
Prices are more for the 2500 and 3500. 'Nuff said?
But the extra $1k for the high top plus $1k for the 159 wb are well worth it and a bargin at that. I don't think you can get a 159wb HT 1500 as silly as that seems.

I looked at a 136 low 1500 first and was shocked by the extra room and value of the 2500 159 HT for a lousy $2k (at retail)! It was a no-brainer for me and even my wife agreed with me and that doesn't always happen!:D

·
Super Moderator
9,074 Posts
Wouldn't be the HT a problem with a shorter wheel base regarding side winds? I would be afraid it would tip...
I don't think so. Remember the HT Promaster is still lower than the HT Sprinter and I believe that was available in a short/high model.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I had a High top 136 and recently traded for a 159 diesel. The 159 holds its line on the highway better and is effected less by wind. The 136 is great but wanted to share my finding in the 2 different wheelbases

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
I just don't understand why the 2500 and 3500 are two or three thousand more than the 1500??? I see they have a couple of hundred pounds GVW increase and a rear stabilizer bar is nice but I must be missing something. For my camper build I think the GVW of the 1500 is enough anyway but except for the extra length I can't see why I would consider the bigger numbers. I plan to use my $$ for more comfort, a diesel, and something that is not WHITE! What gives?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Xxxxx

If this is your first build,ok,if not plz consider the longer if ou can afford it,this will be my 3rd build and there is a lot to say for length,actually now considering the transit for the xtra 10 inches and hopefully better service,but still my mind is open.

·
Super Moderator
9,074 Posts
I agree 100%! The only reason for charging extra is because they can. But as I've said before its a no brainer (for me anyhow) longer is better for a camper for sure. Why be cramped to save a few $?

I was dead set against getting a white one myself but it ended up making more sense for me to buy one in stock, not wait and get a better price than a special order and you know what - I'm glad I did! Another plus for having a white one is the stealth camping factor. How many people look at a big white van these days and say to themselves "Hey look at that camper"? Not many I bet.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
actually now considering the transit for the xtra 10 inches and hopefully better service
We can only hope that service will improve as sales increase and dealers get to know more the van.

Meanwhile, it's maybe not a bad for those who have service issues to phone Chrysler Corp. to let them know. I did.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts