Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make my PM a camper. Cut some holes, drive some screws, you know.
I see here that some are having problems with different things and I don't want to do anything that would keep me from being compensated if a factory material or workmanship problem surfaced. What kind of things should I NOT do?

·
Super Moderator
10,183 Posts
I don't know of anyone here that has had warrentee problems caused by any conversion work they had done on their van. Obviously if you damage something that should be covered by your own errors then you would have a problem but cutting holes for windows and vents, running new wires, making modifications are not a problem if done correctly. In the end common sense will tell you what you should and shouldn't do. You can also call FCA up and ask them but everyone you ask will give you a different answer so, you are back to using your own common sense.

Engine and driveline mods are a no no while under warrentee obviously but in the end if you do something personally that damages your van it's not realistic to expect the warrentee to cover it. Warrentees typically cover manufactureing defects.

Doesn't really answer your question, I know but if you have to ask you might be on shaky ground! As Zyzzyx pointed out above.

·
Registered
625 Posts
To expand on KoV's comment...

If you put in a roof fan or window and then try for warranty regarding rust around the opening... probably get denied. If you change the routing of the exhaust system and have problems with emissions, questionable. If you tap into the wiring behind the dash trying to get the radio to stay on but it fails instead... probably denied.

Just think about what is related to what you are working on, that's where the warranty claims could get iffy.

·
Premium Member
Master Overland Custom Vans Tampa
883 Posts
They just won't perform warranty work if something you built impedes the tech from following instructions he is given for the specific job.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Oh it is not that simple!

I have had all the issues that are possible to have on the PM (water leaks (well documented on the forum)) and a couple more to boot, all the while trying to get the the van converted to a basic camper van.

There is no simple answer to your question. I am now in a multi year conversation with FCC regarding major seam sealant failure in the roof seems. During this dialogue FCC commented that I needed to immediately instal inertial wall structure to support the roof as I had installed: Ac, vents and a sky light. Mean time I made the repair to seams myself (Sikaflex is my best friend:) with no further leaks.

FCA can use any excuse they want to wiggle out of a claim. Your best defence is a good relationship with your dealer. I recommend you establish a working relationship with your local dealer if its possible and I mean the service department (forget sales!!!! they are universally uninformed and will say anything to land you). I bought the extended warranty to cover me as an early adopter.

All the best,

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts