Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What is this thingy stuck to the top of my PM? Some kind of antenna? Temp sensor for the external temp display? Whatever it is, it's totally undocumented.
Kip-on-truckin'

·
Super Moderator
9,014 Posts
I was wondering the same thing a few days ago! I hope we can find out.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, the photos are upside down for some reason.

Notice that in the roof stamping is a large flat panel that whatever this is is mounted into. Something is intended to go here, I just don't know what. And as you look at the whole roof stamping, you'll see places where clearly moon roofs and skylights are intend to go, as well as mounting points for ladder racks or luggage attachment points.

Kip-on-Truckin'

·
Registered
424 Posts
Mine has that, but it's in the middle instead of offset to one side ... it might be a low-roof versus high-roof thing for whatever reason. But ... although mine has UConnect, I have neither satellite radio nor built-in GPS in mine. Maybe they install the antenna regardless, to allow upgrade without rewiring?

·
Super Moderator
9,014 Posts
I think he's referring to the black plastic thingy over the drivers head not the antenna in the center. My hi top with uconnect and gps has it whatever is is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
My high top has it. I have navigation uconnect and sirius radio. Mines offset on drivers side. I'm sure it's Sirius rodeo antenna as Dwight said.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Yes it is a Sat radio antenna. I pulled the radio and noticed that even though I do not have sat radio (it was supposed to come with it) both the FM and sat antennas are plugged into the head unit.

According to the engineers I have talked to at RAM, they simply plug them all in at the factory whether or not it has sat radio.
I'm trying to get a sat radio from RAM, but according to them, there is a part number, but no stock.
Also on the back of the radio it looks to have a removable section that might be used for the sat radio card to enable them. Again according to the engineers, there is no field service for that . . . .yet.

Attachments

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Looking at some internet pics of various satellite radio antennas, I too conclude that that's what it is. I have the Uconnect 5.0, but I do NOT have Sirius or any kind of option for sirius. The users manual claims that 5.0 comes with a 1 year free subscription, but the online version of the same manual claims that some connects get it, some don't. Mine has no button for it, nor does the band button do anything other than AM or FM, nor does the Source button get me there.

Seems a major oversight to be installing antennas for something that isn't ever going to work, or conversely installing radios that don't have a satellite option. Dunno.

Kip-on-Truckin'

·
Registered
886 Posts
Lots of cars come with those style antennas now, with or without Sirius. Looks better than a wire antenna in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
If tht black plastic puck thing is for the Sirius radio, where is the satellite receiver for the GPS. Is it exposed or buried somewhere in the dash?

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
141 Posts
Best Audio Guy, have a question for you . . . you said "Yes it is a Sat radio antenna. I pulled the radio and noticed that even though I do not have sat radio (it was supposed to come with it) both the FM and sat antennas are plugged into the head unit."

I need to "pull the radio" to get to that satellite radio antenna plug for my XM cradle which has a socket for the one you pictured (blue connector). Can you give me detailed instructions on how to pull the radio and access that blue connector? Curious too, what is the white connector (FM/AM?) and what is the larger connector???

·
Registered
15 Posts
I also have 5.0 Uconnect but no sirius tuner installed at Factory. The blue FAKRA connector on back of radio I understand is for GPS. Im wondering if this antenna does both. Im trying to purchase a cable that will plug into this FAKRA connector and to the docking cradle which has a SMB connector. Has anyone done this?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I noticed he same "black box" on my roof just above the driver. 2016 2500 high roof.

So RAM goes thru the trouble and expense of installing an antenna on a van that can't ever use said antenna? That doesn't make sense to me.

It's confusing reading all these threads about satellite radio whether it can or can't be activated etc...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts