Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this thread here...

http://www.promasterforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=37153

I want to replace the front speakers only, and not the tweeters in the A-pillar.
One guy used Infinity Reference 6032.s??

Im wondering what others have put in their doors.

Chime in with what you used, and if you like the results, where you bought them and pricing.

I have the Base radio... for now..

Thanks for replying

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks to all who have posted info on how to get to the door speakers as I have wanted to change mine to something of better sound quality. So I popped my covers off to see the amazingly cheap speakers and remove the screws retaining them. I had a pair of speakers that I had gathered for another project and thought I would see how close they came to fitting the available space. Well, they were the same diameter as the stock ones except I would have to fabricate some brackets or rings to support them. Then it occurred to me that I might be able to use the stock speaker moulded brackets to mount the new speakers. Since I wasn't going to EVER reuse the stock ones I decided to see if I could make that happen and got out my vibrating, oscillating multipurpose tool and chop em up. I removed the paper cone of the speaker and started cutting the plastic supports for the voice coil. In seconds the job was done and I placed the new speaker on top of the support ring that was remaining. Perfect fit. Next I drilled four holes around the perimeter to line up with the holes of the new one and put some 6-32 screws and lock nuts in place. I clipped the speaker wiring plug off and crimped on some new terminal ends. I applied some sound deadening material into the speaker pocket in the door then installed the speakers using the original screws and replaced the grilles. It worked and the sound is much improved. Now for a little Pink Floyd to try them out. I've included a few pics to show what I did and the results.

Attachments

·
Registered
604 Posts
... Then it occurred to me that I might be able to use the stock speaker moulded brackets to mount the new speakers...

... Now for a little Pink Floyd to try them out. I've included a few pics to show what I did and the results ...
Now that's no "Momemtary Lapse of Reason" Good thinkin'!! :)

Shine on you crazy diamond!! >:D>:D>:D

·
Registered
130 Posts
Thanks to all who have posted info on how to get to the door speakers as I have wanted to change mine to something of better sound quality. So I popped my covers off to see the amazingly cheap speakers and remove the screws retaining them. I had a pair of speakers that I had gathered for another project and thought I would see how close they came to fitting the available space. Well, they were the same diameter as the stock ones except I would have to fabricate some brackets or rings to support them. Then it occurred to me that I might be able to use the stock speaker moulded brackets to mount the new speakers. Since I wasn't going to EVER reuse the stock ones I decided to see if I could make that happen and got out my vibrating, oscillating multipurpose tool and chop em up. I removed the paper cone of the speaker and started cutting the plastic supports for the voice coil. In seconds the job was done and I placed the new speaker on top of the support ring that was remaining. Perfect fit. Next I drilled four holes around the perimeter to line up with the holes of the new one and put some 6-32 screws and lock nuts in place. I clipped the speaker wiring plug off and crimped on some new terminal ends. I applied some sound deadening material into the speaker pocket in the door then installed the speakers using the original screws and replaced the grilles. It worked and the sound is much improved. Now for a little Pink Floyd to try them out. I've included a few pics to show what I did and the results.
nice job!

1 - 20 of 107 Posts