Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are considering the Dometic line of fridges and are trying to decide on what size (capacity) fridge that we need. It is just me and the wife initially we will be taking one to two week trips for the next year or so. With the eventual aim of working up into full timers. We would appreciate hearing from other couples as to what size and make of fridge works for them.

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
109 Posts
We are a couple and just completed a 1 month trip across Canada. We bought the Fridge truck TF130, 4,2 Cuft and it is just OK. The freezer is half the width of the unit. http://www.truckfridge.com/tf130/
For 1 or 2 weeks I think you will be fine with this size as there are plenty of opportunities to buy fresh produce depending on where you're planning on going.

This size is very popular in vans and it fits below a counter regular height as well.

I'm very happy with this unit and the consumption is very low and keeps the temperature well.

Thsi fridge uses the same compressor as Dometic, I think is Danfoss, but the manufacturer target market is not as fancy as the Dometic one, so prices are lower.
Excellent service too.

·
Registered
96 Posts
With two of us and a 136" WB, we approached this a bit backwards, deciding how much space we could afford to dedicate to the purpose. We just ordered the Engel MT45F-U1, and are confident we can make this work. Would it be nice to have more space? Sure, but this was a compromise to save space, and we could have gone smaller. Bought direct from Engel, $210 less than Amazon Prime, and no tax, which Amazon would have collected.

Reactions: Poppabear

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,501 Posts
I assume you are assuming a front-loader. If I want to fill a box, I don't turn it on its side, so I bought a chest fridge. Starting out one early trip, my 43-quart (40-liter, 1.4cuft) Engel fridge held at one time: 6 soft drinks, a gallon of milk, 6 eggs, 12 sausages, 6 muffins, 7-oz margarine tub, 2 12-oz jars jelly, 4 oz block of cheese, 15 cheese sticks, 8 oz sliced Swiss cheese, a full making of Kraft Mac&Cheese (in two containers), 6 oz meat loaf, about 6 oz ham, a head of lettuce, a green pepper, 4 radishes, 9 oz spinach (1.5 bags not smushed), 4 oz ranch dressing. The fridge was full, but not solidly packed--no special effort needed to make things fit or to find them. These days, I normally start trips with a week's worth of home-prepared meals. We stop at stores often enough to not run out of milk--every three days or so--and fridge space is almost never an issue.

Dave, you and I were posting simultaneously. I also bought that fridge because it was the only one I found that fit my available space. You're gonna love it.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
With two of us and a 136" WB, we approached this a bit backwards, deciding how much space we could afford to dedicate to the purpose. We just ordered the Engel MT45F-U1, and are confident we can make this work. Would it be nice to have more space? Sure, but this was a compromise to save space, and we could have gone smaller. Bought direct from Engel, $210 less than Amazon Prime, and no tax, which Amazon would have collected.
I agree with this 100%! Got my TF130 this summer and it is the best. I couldn’t imagine going with anything smaller for 2 people and any length of time. It runs off my 300w of solar fine and at $700 is a real bargain.

·
Registered
538 Posts
I just reused the little apartment/student style fridge I loaned to my daughter when she was in college. Tiny freezer. But the fridge is great for two people. I run it off a pure sine inverter and have solar on the roof keeping a pair of deep cycle batteries on charge to keep the inverter up.

Reactions: Poppabear

·
Registered
Promaster 2500
109 Posts
It also depends on how you eat, what kind of "diet" you follow. We are a kind of granola and this has an impact on what we keep in the fridge, etc, etc.
We mounted the TF130 over a cabinet at countertop height and we love this, no bending in such a small space!.
We also made sure there was a good airflow behind the fridge and put a fan finger guard on the shelf above it to boost the air flow. We have a hole on the floor under the cabinet for air intake for the whole van as well. It is remarkable silent and it draws 2 to 4 amps at max.
We also considered a small apartment fridge, but it didn't have the secure door lock and the reviews were terrible. Keep in mind that the residential fridges don't like to be shaken too much and the inverter is about 90% efficient.
I would not go for les than 4,2 cuFt for 2 people.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ill just throw in the two lowest energy use dorm fridges ive found as alternatives to the TruckFridge. These small residential units have gotten more energy efficient over the last few years. Still near double the energy of the TruckFridge but almost $600 less. That buys a lot of stuff for a build. And if it breaks in two years its a easy cheap replacement.

Magic Chef HMBR440SE 4.4cu ft- $139 - 228kwh/yr - http://www.homedepot.com/p/Magic-Ch...gerator-in-Stainless-Look-HMBR440SE/205397955

Tramontina 80901 4v4cu ft - $139 - 226kwh/yr - https://www.samsclub.com/sams/4-4cf-fridge-dsv-in-club-810980/prod18910242.ip?xid=plp:product:1:2

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Absolutely true in fact you can find one for under $60 at Wally World and I’ve used one for well over 15 years But, I decided I wanted to go all 12v (other than my microwave) and so I got the TF 130 and I love it! It will run forever off my solar and I never need to turn my inverter on unless I want to microwave. That makes it well worth the extra $625 to me, at least, over a dorm fridge.

I can’t take it with me so I’m going to spend it;) others may have different priorities.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I agree with this 100%! Got my TF130 this summer and it is the best. I couldn’t imagine going with anything smaller for 2 people and any length of time. It runs off my 300w of solar fine and at $700 is a real bargain.
Is the freezer big enough or do you wish it were bigger?

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
It’s big enough for us but we aren’t big freezer people either. I jus throw small things in it and don’t care if they freeze or not so I’m sorry that’s not very helpful to you. It is far superior to any chest style however in convience but you do need the space for it. A big fridge is a must have for me so I love it.

·
Super Moderator
10,152 Posts
Go with the biggest you can fit in and afford! The difference in price is negligible as you are only paying for a larger box not compressor (from what I can determine).

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
We chose the ARB 50 quart frig-freezer which we only use as a frig.
Poof and I are meat eaters. No potatoes no bread no cookies no cake.
Only carb we regularly eat are low carb wraps.
On last months trip we ate out of the campervan 10 days before restocking.
No gallon jugs of milk, no drinks, in the frig mean vast amounts of storage for meats, cheese and eggs.

We also use an Artic cooler right behind the passenger seat which doubles as my footrest. Every other we buy
a bag of ice to cool the drinks.

We would def. buy the ARB again, no doubts. It has never had a hiccup.

·
Registered
40 Posts
The two of us have used a Dometic 2351 (3 cu. ft.) for several years now. We go out for a month at a time and usually move campgrounds every 4-5 days which is when we shop and restock. It's worked out well and uses very little LP when dry camping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts