Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd be interested in fasteners that people have had experience with in the promaster. There seem to be 4 sizes with what accepts a 1/4 J nuts seems to be the most useful one. I'm really curious about the hex hole for fastening. What to use when a j-nut won't work?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was told they are 11mm holes but can't find that size so I just ordered some 7/16" Riv-nuts for those holes yesterday. I should get them today and will let you know how they work.

Here's a link that shows what they are and how they are installed: http://www.avdel-global.com/en/products/threaded-inserts/euro-hexsertr-hexsertr.html

I didn't order them from here, but the animation is the best I've seen on the web. You can get a manual puller from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
You don`t need a special tool to install the rivnuts, all you need is a little piece of scrap steel & an impact driver, drill or even a ratchet & socket will work. Search for homemade rivnut/nutsert installation tools & see how easy they are to install. I did about 40 in mine with an impact driver with no problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You definitely need a puller to install the Rivnuts! They are much harder than I figured they would be.

I tried to do it with a bolt and a bunch of washers, but rounded out the hole in my van. I ended up holding the back side with a wrench and got it snug. I tried my second one and broke the bolt off in the Rivnut. (still need to remove it)

Luckily I was able to modify a hydraulic puller my work had to finish pulling the rest of them.

I'll probably post pics once I start my mod thread.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry, for some reason the correct web page didn't paste. Click on the heavy duty twist resistant ones and the bottom of that page Part # 90720A500 is what I ordered.
These are listed as heavy duty rivnuts. Does anybody know if they are more difficult to install without a tool than would be the case for the standard rivnuts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
These are listed as heavy duty rivnuts. Does anybody know if they are more difficult to install without a tool than would be the case for the standard rivnuts?
I could only find heavy duty ones in the hexagonal shape. I will probably go with standard rivnuts for my cabinets because the hex holes are only in the aft end. Not sure why they used so many different size/shape holes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts