Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd be interested in fasteners that people have had experience with in the promaster. There seem to be 4 sizes with what accepts a 1/4 J nuts seems to be the most useful one. I'm really curious about the hex hole for fastening. What to use when a j-nut won't work?

·
Registered
124 Posts
I was told they are 11mm holes but can't find that size so I just ordered some 7/16" Riv-nuts for those holes yesterday. I should get them today and will let you know how they work.

Here's a link that shows what they are and how they are installed: http://www.avdel-global.com/en/products/threaded-inserts/euro-hexsertr-hexsertr.html

I didn't order them from here, but the animation is the best I've seen on the web. You can get a manual puller from Harbor Freight pretty cheap.

·
Registered
58 Posts
You don`t need a special tool to install the rivnuts, all you need is a little piece of scrap steel & an impact driver, drill or even a ratchet & socket will work. Search for homemade rivnut/nutsert installation tools & see how easy they are to install. I did about 40 in mine with an impact driver with no problems.

·
Registered
124 Posts
You definitely need a puller to install the Rivnuts! They are much harder than I figured they would be.

I tried to do it with a bolt and a bunch of washers, but rounded out the hole in my van. I ended up holding the back side with a wrench and got it snug. I tried my second one and broke the bolt off in the Rivnut. (still need to remove it)

Luckily I was able to modify a hydraulic puller my work had to finish pulling the rest of them.

I'll probably post pics once I start my mod thread.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry, for some reason the correct web page didn't paste. Click on the heavy duty twist resistant ones and the bottom of that page Part # 90720A500 is what I ordered.
These are listed as heavy duty rivnuts. Does anybody know if they are more difficult to install without a tool than would be the case for the standard rivnuts?

·
Registered
124 Posts
These are listed as heavy duty rivnuts. Does anybody know if they are more difficult to install without a tool than would be the case for the standard rivnuts?
I could only find heavy duty ones in the hexagonal shape. I will probably go with standard rivnuts for my cabinets because the hex holes are only in the aft end. Not sure why they used so many different size/shape holes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This whole thing seems to be quite convoluted and full of unnecessary controversy. The hex holes on the promaster are a half inch wide. Both the 5/16-18 and the m8 hex rivet nuts will fit. These can be confirmed by checking the hole diameter. It is this simple. For the circular ones, or small ones, drill them out with a step bit to whatever size plus or rivet nut you choose to use. I hope this clears the fog.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts