Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
what code reader reset are most of y'all using?
I use a ODB dongle in the port that connects to my iPhone/iPad via WiFi, it has a switch so I don’t have to remove it. So far it has worked great. I offered the seller $8 and he shipped it for that, about 2+ weeks from China.
See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142162970340?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I get readouts and other functionality with an APP called "ODB Fusion" from the app store. $10 I like it, I have found some PID’s from them to read out special diesel stuff (boost), DEF level, Regen, etc. I used to use a corded ODB reader/resetter which also does fine. Lookup for the codes is a google thing.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I have 2 of those ELM dongles, one for each van. They are the bluetooth versions and have worked flawlessly on iphones 4,5,6,and 7. $10-15 on ebay.

I tried a few freebies, but I bought Dash Command from Palmer software. $9 on the app store. It's very slick and polished, and easy to use. It doesnt read every PID, but it reads and clears codes, and reads most of the pids I'm interested in. For $20 all in, it's totally worth it just to know voltage, actual coolant temp (the gauge is a fake), cat temp, long term fuel trims, accurate fuel tank level.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I use a ODB dongle in the port that connects to my iPhone/iPad via WiFi, it has a switch so I don’t have to remove it. So far it has worked great. I offered the seller $8 and he shipped it for that, about 2+ weeks from China.
See: http://www.ebay.com/itm/142162970340?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT

I get readouts and other functionality with an APP called "ODB Fusion" from the app store. $10 I like it, I have found some PID’s from them to read out special diesel stuff (boost), DEF level, Regen, etc. I used to use a corded ODB reader/resetter which also does fine. Lookup for the codes is a google thing.

So I need to get one of these. I just got a CEL on my 2014 Gasser and I am also fascinated with all the other gauges and data. The ebay unit gives me a delivery window starting about 2 weeks out and extending for another 3 to 4 weeks beyond that. Since I move around a bit, often on short notice, my delivery address is a moving target. So I checked Amazon and found what appears to be the same unit for about $4 more but qualifies for Prime Shipping with guaranteed 2 day delivery. So does this look like the same unit you bought on ebay?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017IBP1Y8/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1UD5TE3MV20R5

A few questions. The ebay unit includes a CD, the amazon unit has no CD but includes a user manual, Maybe the manual is the CD but that is not clear. Whats on the CD? Also the amazon description says it does not work for Trucks or Vans??? There was even a question in the Q&A asking about that and the seller confirmed it does not work with Trucks/Vans. No real explanation, just said it was designed for Cars. Maybe they think OBD2 connectors wont be on a van. The only problem listed seemed to be fitting it onto the dash connector. Audi owners seemed to have problems because the somewhat trapezoidal connector is surrounded by a rectangular frame which may contact dash framing before the device connector fully seats into the dash connector. One solution would be an extension cable.

RD, if the amazon unit matches the one you got on ebay, did you need to use a cable or could you connect the device directly to the OBD port?

I have 2 of those ELM dongles, one for each van. They are the bluetooth versions and have worked flawlessly on iphones 4,5,6,and 7. $10-15 on ebay.

I tried a few freebies, but I bought Dash Command from Palmer software. $9 on the app store. It's very slick and polished, and easy to use. It doesnt read every PID, but it reads and clears codes, and reads most of the pids I'm interested in. For $20 all in, it's totally worth it just to know voltage, actual coolant temp (the gauge is a fake), cat temp, long term fuel trims, accurate fuel tank level.

Kip, I don't see a bluetooth version of this model. Are you talking about a different manufacturer?

I have an android phone. Any pros or cons for bluetooth vs Wifi?

As for the app, I have heard some good reviews of the Torque Pro App. Anyone tried this app? The Dash Command looks good too. Any others that people have tried?

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
It is the same unit. I hung the little CD on my tangelo tree to scare away birds, it is useless for that too. No manual. Really you don’t need any. It will work on WiFi for ANY phone, BT is supposed to not work on IOS but then Kip has it going so what do I know. I only know ODB Fusion but man the list of PIDs is huge so unless those others have them???? Check. All apps seem to be $10 No Torque for IOS unless jail broke I believe. I looked at Dash Command and liked the features of Fusion better. It and the dongle which is low profile and plugs right in have worked great. I am running it on my iPhone and iPad mini2. No double pay from the apple app store for all your devices.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
I mispoke, I have the wifi versions of the ELM. I'm glad you asked because a bluetooth one might screw up the bt connection between the phone and the u-connect, and I need seamless hands free calling to work.

The ELM was cheap, came with a disk but I didn't need it, and is basically generic. All cars and trucks made since 1996 have a standardized OBD2 port and protocol by law, so I don't know what this "wont work on vans" nonsense is.

Reactions: tgblake

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
As far as ios goes, you own any app you buy, so can go on any device you own. It automatically installs when you upgrade phones. You can put it on both phone and pad and it will work. I even put it on the drivers phone in the second van (take his phone, log into the app store as me, download, log out)

I also use the dongle and app in other cars. Plug it in, read codes - simple. It's on the app maker to implement all the PIDs specific to a specific vehicle, so thats where the variance comes in. The dongles are basically all the same.

Reactions: tgblake

·
Registered
221 Posts
Any new suggestions for ODB reader apps? I have just ordered a ELM327 bluetooth device on ebay (for a whopping $3.87) and I will need to download an Adroid app to use with it. I read that Dash Command does not easily shut off, so I'm concerned that it may drain the battery on my old phone. The main criticism I've read of Torque is that it has an old interface, but otherwise it seems to be popular.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts