Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on using this vehicle to travel Xcountry rotating from campgrounds to time share condos, hotels and resorts. On my last trip to different resorts and condos I noticed the parking spots vary quite a bit. Anyone research or have an opinion or experience regarding the max length and still being able to park it in the average parking space.

·
Super Moderator
9,030 Posts
I have a 159wb and I always try to park in a space I can pull thru no matter how long a walk I have. Its just easier to drive thru and not have to back up. It's 20' long and although I haven't had the opportunity to parallel park it yet, I don't expect a problem. It certainly wouldn't be something that would prevent me from buying a long one. It certainly would fit in any campground space and it fits in my garage with room to spare, of course I have a 10' high door!

·
Registered
654 Posts
20 foot length is pushing it. I think most standard parking spots are 16-17 feet in length. Usually there is a 2 foot 'take' beyond the parking curb stop (if you can't pull through) so you can squeeze in a little bit more so that only 1-2 feet are sticking out.

Not a problem at RV parks, but once you get into an urban area, it varies by city as many cities may have reduced length and width spots, but conversely could have very large parallel spots. Hotels call ahead before making reservations.

This is one big consideration of getting a PM, for me, where will I go and where can't I go?

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
The 136" is shorter than the average pickup truck,
159" is 6 to 7" longer (bumper to bumper).
Trucks all over the place,Hotels Malls etc.
I do not think there should be a problem.
For the159 ext. version ,well that is a little long. Add 13.8 inches.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The 136" model is 17.75 ft long.
The 159" model is 19.67 ft long.
The 159" Extended is 20.82 ft

The 136 should be no problem, as most parking spots are about 17-18ft long, some as long as 20ft but that's not typical. As keeponvaning and keithwwalker have pointed out, the 159 will require some strategy when parking.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
My present extended Ford van is right around 20 feet long with spare tire on back, and I never worry about not being able to park it wherever I go.

If parking spots are a little on the short side I sometimes look for a spot where I can back in and let the rear overhang go over stop. That shortens my effective length by a couple of feet.

For what it's worth, I started doing that when I owned a +/- 24 foot class C which had an even longer rear overhang. I often parked it at restaurants or grocery stores in normal parking spots by backing in.

Unless I need to keep the van short to be able to park it in a home garage, I will most likely go with very longest model I decide on. Right now that would be the 20'-10" ProMaster or 22-ft Transit. Parking it, other than home garage, isn't a big factor for me at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts