Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, here goes first post! I finally have a little time to share some ideas, experiments, fails, and successes.

I picked up my van in Glenwood Springs, Colorado in October of 2015. Started the conversion right away, unfortunately having to do all of the work in the driveway during a long, cold Colorado winter. Finished just in time for spring break (teacher) and have been enjoying every bit of it for the past year. Even though I managed to put together a camper van, I have no experience using a forum…here goes!

We named the van “Wonderwagon.” Actually the son of a friend of mine named it after he kept wondering what we were doing to the van.

Here is day one….No going back!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,838 Posts
Welcome! Nice set of tools for a teacher. I was one for 30 years and supported that hobby with well paid work as a carpenter,cabinet builder in the summers so I too was an equipped teacher!
BTW if you are going to post often you will soon run out of picture space. Open an account on a picture hosting site like tinypic.com and just imbed the picture URL into this forum, then it’s unlimited.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
Welcome! As a former shop teacher, I always had just the right tool available!

Worked almost every summer, but now - retirement allows me to work on the van whenever I want! Winter in New England does factor into my van work though.
2 1/2 years of building... not done yet!

Looking forward to more posts and pics.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Looks to me like you've got the floor on the roof. I don't think that's how it goes.
But thanks for showing me where the electrical inlet plug goes. I was thinking about putting it in the bumper, now it's going where you've got yours..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I decided to put the power inlet there for three reasons. First, I was too scared to drill a dole in the side of the van. Second, if I drove off while still plugged in, it would just pull straight out. And third, it's an easy wire route through the vent flap into the inside of the van. I found those vents on both sides to be useful for getting into the van without drilling holes. I routed the water tank vent hose through the one on the other side. More about the water tank installation later! I guess the only drawback to messing with those vents is throwing off the air in/out balance and letting spiders in.

·
Super Moderator
10,684 Posts
Hello everyone, here goes first post! I finally have a little time to share some ideas, experiments, fails, and successes.

I picked up my van in Glenwood Springs, Colorado in October of 2015. Started the conversion right away, unfortunately having to do all of the work in the driveway during a long, cold Colorado winter. Finished just in time for spring break (teacher) and have been enjoying every bit of it for the past year. Even though I managed to put together a camper van, I have no experience using a forum…here goes!

We named the van “Wonderwagon.” Actually the son of a friend of mine named it after he kept wondering what we were doing to the van.

Here is day one….No going back!
Nice neat job on cutting that big hole the roof! What did you use to do it?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I used a jigsaw with a metal blade and it sliced cleanly through. Drilled my starter hole in the center of the cutout so I could practice a bit first. Lined the hole with plumbers tape to fill the low parts of the ridges, screwed in the fan and covered it with Lap Sealant.

I watched that sealant cure all winter! It took about 6 months to completely harden. Better would be to do it in the summer. I spray painted it metallic grey and it matches the van pretty well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts