Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody know what this is? It's behind both wheels in cargo area. Trying to determine if it needs access to air/cabin or if I can cover with insulation. (I'm turning my PM into a mobile home/camper van). Manual is no help.

Picture doesn't seem to be attaching, so here's the Instagram link: https://www.instagram.com/p/BEjO0ykxcVK/

·
Registered
428 Posts
Yes, the rubber flappers open outwards to relieve air pressure especially when closing the slider. But, But, But you may cover them up without a problem if there is another air relief. Mine are covered with insulation and a wall system but air pressure is instantaneous everywhere even behind the wall so they will still work some. Do you plan to install any roof vents? I have 2 maxxfan vents that when closed are not by any means airtight and they provide pressure relief. I have no problem closing doors.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Yes, Air Release/flow vents.

We paneled over ours to protect the walls from cargo with 3/16" stained mahogany before we started our upfit, but allowed gaps in the insulation, thinking air would still flow there through the other holes in the D-pillars to the vents adequately. We're experiencing annoying problems closing the sliders easily, so I'm searching for a small grill vent to open up direct flow again. We have no HVAC flow problems, and no ear pop issues when closing the main doors, just the sliders (ours has both sliders R & L). I was last searching for electrical cabinet or computer cabinet vent grilles to use surface mounted so I could just cut the holes in the plywood and screw the grilles on.

·
Registered
763 Posts
People keep saying this is a 'door closing' vent... those vents are on pretty much every vehicle made to keep the passenger cabin air fresh and keeping Carbon Monoxide levers as absolutely low as possible, the vehicle cabin both getting active fresh air from the HVAC system and passive flow (even if the heater is off) while in motion getting positive air pressure from wind resistance at the front flowing through and out the back. The design takes advantage of the low pressure area following a vehicle in motion...

So - that said, restrict those vents access to free air flow at your own peril or the peril of all those who might follow you from slow CO exposure, the least of which simply might make one more easily drowsy or slower reaction times after hours of traffic jams. Leave hidden shadow gaps in liners, add false speaker grill slits w/ shadow fabric, something to keep air flowing in the direction it was designed to.

·
Super Moderator
10,493 Posts
I understand the shorties don't even have it. Most people (including me) just cover it up. It's main purpose is to facilitate closing the side door easily. A roof vent of window opened a bit will accomplish the same thing. If you are converting to a camper a co2 detector is a good investment for $10 or so.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Air Release/flow vents

Yes, Air Release/flow vents.

We paneled over ours to protect the walls from cargo with 3/16" stained mahogany before we started our upfit, but allowed gaps in the insulation, thinking air would still flow there through the other holes in the D-pillars to the vents adequately. We're experiencing annoying problems closing the sliders easily, so I'm searching for a small grill vent to open up direct flow again. We have no HVAC flow problems, and no ear pop issues when closing the main doors, just the sliders (ours has both sliders R & L). I was last searching for electrical cabinet or computer cabinet vent grilles to use surface mounted so I could just cut the holes in the plywood and screw the grilles on.
ACRGLASS,

I also have the dual sliders on my 159 EXT. For some reason my PM does not have the vents behind the wheel wells, only the vents under the rear break lights. Yet another PM mystery:|

Even after removing the OEM lower paneling my sliders would not close without opening a window or front door. The dealer adjusted the doors and this helped marginally but still had to open window or door, really lame on the wet coast of Canada.

I installed a Flettener TCX-2™ Ventilator http://www.flettner.co.uk for passive ventilation and it had the added benefit of acting as a pressure relief vent. The Flettner works on all accounts extremely well. No problems closing the sliders now.

Now I just have to deal with the problems with opening the the sliders:eek: the dealer did quite a bit of work on the sliders to resolve the slider stuck closed issues and it was good for a time but, now I'm experiencing problems again. I suspects its a control cable stretch issue, so I should be able to adjust this easily........

Dave

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
142 Posts
I also have the Flettner vent, it vents air out (not in), works well. Don't have any issues with closing doors. I covered up those vents with ABS wall sheet but not entirely to the floor, left about a 1/2" space. Lots of dirt was gathering all over the floor near the vents, so by covering up the vents and leaving a 1/2" gap near the floor, the dirt now just lands directly near the wall under the vent and the dirt is easier to clean up.

·
Registered
120 Posts
flettner vent

I also have the Flettner vent, it vents air out (not in), works well. Don't have any issues with closing doors. I covered up those vents with ABS wall sheet but not entirely to the floor, left about a 1/2" space. Lots of dirt was gathering all over the floor near the vents, so by covering up the vents and leaving a 1/2" gap near the floor, the dirt now just lands directly near the wall under the vent and the dirt is easier to clean up.
Is this device noisey? does it spin? how was the install?

·
Registered
Diesel PM, 2015, 2500 hi-top
142 Posts
Complete info about my install on my blog, on this page, do a "search" for Flettner to find it quickly on the very too long page . . .

http://lalaironwheels.blogspot.com/p/blog-page_6.html

It makes zero/no noise, it spins like crazy even in a light wind, spins alot. I almost never see it not spinning. It does a decent job of avoiding heat build-up in the cargo area, but I didn't cover all the metal in the cargo area so that metal is still pretty hot and heating the cargo area to mid-90s on a sunny hot day. I try to park in the shade as much as I can.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you all so much! I will leave them open for both the air pressure and CO2 reasons (and check out a CO alarm!)

Are there any other parts I can't cover with insulation? What are these parts seen in the corners of this photo, with the grated pre-made barrier?

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts