Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most information suggest maximum towing capacity is 5,100 pounds. Yet on RAM site they make reference to ProMaster towing capacity of up to 7,500 pounds on one ad and up to 7,900 pounds in another reference. Does anyone have information regarding where these higher numbers are coming from, and under which conditions and models they apply?

·
Registered
110 Posts
The 7,500 lbs max towing on the Ram website has the caveat that says, "When properly equipped. See dealer for details."

So it sounds like it depends on what options you put in the Promaster.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Where exactly have you been getting 5,100 pounds from? Just curious
The 5,100 pound "max" tow rating is the most common I see almost everywhere. It's the number that comes up in RAM towing guide for 1500, 2500, and 3500 cargo PMs. So what's left, cutaway and cab chassis? Hard to imagine that's it considering they share drivetrain and suspension?

By the way, these are the two references to higher tow ratings I mentioned above.

·
Registered
166 Posts
yea sounds like its just a draw. WOW 7,500 lbs towing, then you get there and you need to upgrade or bump up to the next level to achieve 7,500 ;)

Whats Ducato rated at?

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you hunt around the Ram website, you'll find the "Ram trucks towing guide"
Then select the PM. There you'll see the "open towing and payload calculator"

The highest example I found is the 2500 Diesel. What they did is take the curb weight of 4950 lb + 150 lb driver and subtract that from the 12500 lb GCVW and came up with a towing rating of 7450 lbs.

Apparently they assume 0 lbs. payload, no fuel in the tank, and the driver being butt naked.

Looks like pure marketing gibberish to me.

By the way, the only receiver hitch I've found is made by CURT Hitches and the spec for the 3500. No spec for the 2500 or 1500

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Dennis, I found two new references to higher tow capacity; 7,100 pounds for V6 and 7,900 pounds for diesel.

As you suggest, they seem to be based on GCWR of each minus lightest van minus driver. I assume the 800 pound difference is due to diesel having 1,000 pound higher GCWR but adjusted for diesel van being 200 pounds heavier.

My concern is about how they would attach a Class IV receiver to a lightweight unitized van body. Are the frame rails that strong? Mercedes Sprinter has tow rating up to 7,500 pounds on some models, so structurally it's possible. I just don't want to depend on inconsistent data when most states max towing is 5,100 pounds. RAM needs to clear this up.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Isn't that the same V6 engine that will be in the Ram 1500 pick up truck?
Essentially, yes. But why do you ask? Can't max towing be limited by factors other than engine power? Not sure what you are getting to.

Obviously in the case of the ProMaster the V6 drivetrain is a limiting factor otherwise max GCWR wouldn't be lower than that of same van with diesel.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I know that I read somewhere on this forum (maybe it was Chance or carryon who mentioned it) that finding trailer hitch receivers was not coming up with any searches or very limited. I contacted my local dealer and he said Mopar has nothing listed for the PM...or at least my 1500. Has anybody found anything as of yet? etrailer.com has a class III for the 3500. This is not a good sign for me...i need a receiver to go on as soon as I receive my PM along with my roof rack!

Any help will be appreciated!

·
Registered
465 Posts
I know that I read somewhere on this forum (maybe it was Chance or carryon who mentioned it) that finding trailer hitch receivers was not coming up with any searches or very limited. I contacted my local dealer and he said Mopar has nothing listed for the PM...or at least my 1500. Has anybody found anything as of yet? etrailer.com has a class III for the 3500. This is not a good sign for me...i need a receiver to go on as soon as I receive my PM along with my roof rack!

Any help will be appreciated!
Will the 3500 hitch not fit on the 1500? I realize it's over rated for the 1500 capabilities, but you won't be doing the overload thing...

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Will the 3500 hitch not fit on the 1500? I realize it's over rated for the 1500 capabilities, but you won't be doing the overload thing...
Much of the tow rating details for the PM are lacking in my opinion, but one thing that seems consistent is that all gasoline PMs get a GCWR of 11,500 pounds and diesels 12,500 pounds. RAM does not seem to differentiate between the 1500, 2500, and 3500 van models when rating their tow capacity.

And the data suggesting they all have a maximum tow capacity of 5,100 pounds suggests they all need at least a Class III receiver, which if I recall correctly is rated for trailers up to 5,000 pounds.

I'd ask a dealer because a receiver is something they should be able to install. On the other hand cost is probably much higher if dealer installed versus aftermarket.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If you order the "trailer tow package" with the van it comes with the hitch, and its pre wired for 4 and 7 pin connectors just like the Rams do.
IMO it's a no brainer.

·
Registered
118 Posts
If you order the "trailer tow package" with the van it comes with the hitch, and its pre wired for 4 and 7 pin connectors just like the Rams do.
IMO it's a no brainer.
I don't recall seeing that at all when I ordered. I just went through the RAM build online and don't see it currently, although that doesn't mean that it wasn't there when I ordered...perhaps I overlooked that.

I'm going to contact a different local dealer today and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
118 Posts
My trailer is only 6x12 with a short v nose. I have no intention of overloading the vans hauling ability. I would assume that the same hitch would fit on the 1500, 2500 & 3500 but my searches have only yielded results for the 3500. I'll keep searching!

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
IMO it's a no brainer.
Great to know. Where do you find information on the "tow package"?

RAM doesn't seem to make it easy to find. I don't see it under "packages" in build and price or in the PDF brochure. If information is there it doesn't stand out very well. Even a Google search hasn't helped me much.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I still have yet to see a hitch on a promaster. or any photos of one at least. How would it install with the base being so low to the ground?

·
Registered
465 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
12 Participants
bobojay
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing