Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
That's a ground wire for something. Where does it go from there? Do you have the underhood generator? It could be a ground wire for the regulator they install. Follow the wire to see where it goes and report back.

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
367 Posts
It looks to me as if the green wire goes to a plunger switch. (Circled in photo). Looks as if the swicth operates with the opening/closing of the hood. Do you have some sort of under-hood light?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't have a light under the hood. I do have an underhood generator. Will look again tomorrow and see if I can follow the wire. What is the "regulator" you mentioned?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
I don't have a light under the hood. I do have an underhood generator. Will look again tomorrow and see if I can follow the wire. What is the "regulator" you mentioned?
It controls the second alternator (underhood generator)

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

·
Registered
437 Posts
Sure looks like an awkward/exposed way to run a wire.

Reactions: bkhi

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,712 Posts
Looks to me like a ground wire from the chassis metal (lower connection) to the shell of the slightly rusted push switch (top connection).

The push switch is a hood open sensor, probably for an aftermarket or upfit alarm system that roadtrek added.

I'm betting it has nothing to do with regulators or generators!

·
Registered
127 Posts
At the very least, the green wire could be attached here. (red arrow)
All they were looking for was a ground.
My immediate thought was they wanted to tie the ground from the front to the back for a more reliable connection. Still done in a lousy way, but potentially not totally stupid.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Makes sense the green wire is a ground, just not sure what it's grounding. I'm leaning toward the second alternator (underhood generator) as nebulight said. I don't have any kind of alarm system that I know of. There's a wire attached at the bottom (see the red line in attached image). It goes toward the back and you can't follow it any further, seems like it's going inside. Not imperative that I figure it out, just looked odd to me. Thanks for all the replies.

Attachments

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
367 Posts
It's definitely a switch that connects the wire (that you colored red) to ground when the hood is open. What it is used for is anybody's guess at this point since you said that you don't have a alarm or a underhood light. A mystery! :confused: Anyone?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts