Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have been wanting a Promaster 2500, 159'" wheelbase, with 6 way seats, cruise control, tow package, backup camera and power heated mirrors. I found a van with most of the options that I wanted but it doesn't have the tow package, at this time I am not really planning on towing anything but I was wondering what a tow package actually consist of. If the tow package just consists of a hitch and wiring harness I can add that if I ever need it but if it includes a larger oil and transmission cooler it might be something that I hold out for. I would like to have a hitch so I can add a motor scooter without having to pull a trailer. Thanks in advance for any info. Ed C.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think it's just the hitch and wiring. I know the powertrain is the same.

The gas engine model already has a bigger transmission cooler relative to what the minivans use. Roughly behind the crossbar in the main part of the grill, on the inside, is a bristle-brush-looking gizmo ... that's the transmission oil cooler.

·
Registered
414 Posts
My 2015 has hitch, 4-way plug, 6-way plug, and a hot wire from hitch to battery box. Brake controller (aftermarket)is not plug-n-play. Had to splice wires to ground, pos terminal, brake light wire under dash, and to the pigtail in the battery box. See Rambodybuilder.com link for details & pics. Hopefully Ram upgraded a simple plug for brake controller by now.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Sounds like it's time for some Sunday car shopping...

Crawl under a van with tow package and look at transmission cooler yourself. Compare to van without it.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
It’s just the hitch and wiring package.
Curt and other aftermarket hitches are fine, mine was $114 from Amazon warehouse deals and a flat 4 (no brakes or 6 way) wiring kit is $60 and both are 1 hour installs. If you need a skookum hitch bigger ones are available and the wiring is FCA available. It's no biggie if you want to pull a 3K lb. trailer or install a bike rack- Budget $200

·
Registered
'16 2500 159 HT Granite Window - OH(io)
337 Posts
My 2015 has hitch, 4-way plug, 6-way plug, and a hot wire from hitch to battery box. Brake controller (aftermarket)is not plug-n-play. Had to splice wires to ground, pos terminal, brake light wire under dash, and to the pigtail in the battery box. See Rambodybuilder.com link for details & pics. Hopefully Ram upgraded a simple plug for brake controller by now.
The 2016's are exactly the same way. Like you said, it would be such a simple thing to add a plug for the controller under the dash somewhere,

·
Registered
2017 2500 HiTop 159 Cargo Van white.
491 Posts
My late 2017 van with tow was the same. The brake wire comes all the way to the battery box but not linked to the pedal. Easy install of brake controller of your choice.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all for the info. Believe me Dwight I would have crawled under them but none on the lot had a tow package. It doesn't look like it is a show stopper so I might be able to work out an end of the year deal and hopefully next week I'll have my van. I found a few with the tow package at other lots but they lacked items that I don't want to go without. I plan on a lot of highway driving when I retire so I want the 6 way seats for driver and the passenger and the cruise control for sure.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts