Ram Promaster Forum banner

What did you do to your Promaster today?

709K views 4K replies 381 participants last post by  Baxsie 
#1 ·
Thread idea blatantly taken from the Sprinter forum. >:D

I'd like to say that I did something with my Promaster, but I don't think its even i n the build system yet. So I wait.

But, what did you do?

#4 · (Edited)
HID's and LED's and door speakers

And here's how the story goes; One of my head lamps burnt out and I decided to order a set of HID's from HIDExtra.com (55 watt, 6k Ultra whites CANBUS compatible.) to replace both headlamps. I was hoping to get a little bit better lighting and longevity from the bulb. I went ahead and ordered the H11 LED's for the Fog lamps, and some new door speakers for the PM as well from crutchfield, being they give an adapter kit for the wiring and fitment.
:eek: So the Goods arrive! After getting the headlamp assemblies removed, to my dismay, I discovered the H7 connector/ bulb retainer, was not the normal metal spring clip and separate electrical connector you would find on a US style H7 housing. On the PM the headlamp connectors and bulb retainers are combined and will not hold an HID aftermarket bulb. Arrgg! So I stared down the culprit, and decided I was going to make this work! After several hours, I ended up fabricating a bulb retention clip for one side, and then had to re-produce a duplicate for the other side! I'm not gonna do it again.! hopefully someone can scan and use a 3D printer to reproduce this thing for aftermarket HID application for the PM. I contacted the HID seller and let them know the PM issue with the bulb retainer.

Anyway, the HID endeavor was finally a success for me. The HID Ballast and capacitor will fit inside the massive headlight housing as well. So even the Dealer will not notice the difference if it ever needs service. The LED fog lamps and speakers went in without a problem and are good to go. If your thinking about HID's you need to look at the pictures I've posted to give you and idea of what path you may want to take. It's not for the faint of heart, but not totally impossible.;)

#7 ·
This weekend we are gluing the Marmoleum floor to the ply underlayment-- in the house!!! We will transport it in sections to the van after the adhesive has cured. Main reason: application and curing require more consistent warmth than we we feel comfortable with in the van this time of year. Interesting perspective to see the van floor on the den floor.

In the van, I'm continuing to apply Dynamat and Thinsulate.

#13 ·
Nice looking rig David. I originally wanted blue, but decided on granite because the blue samples looked so bright. If I would have seen one before I ordered, I may have went back to blue. It sure is a nice deep tone. I was considering washing mine today also. I proved too lazy after working a few hours this morning. Mine's going in to get all the body moldings and front clip painted later this week. I'll let my buddy Tim at the body shop give it a bath.

#15 ·
Hey... Now I can legitimately add to this thread...

Picked up the PM last week, spent the weekend driving it around.

Started with the basics for the upcoming conversion: laid out the rough floorplan with blue tape. Its still a big open box, but it got real small real quick.

Also started taking it apart to see what I can and can not cover up. Learned that I need to keep access to the panels on the rear corners, as that is where you get access to the bolts to remove the rear lights to change bulbs. Rather important.

#16 ·
I tried my new Battery Doctor 150A Isolator with my aux battery. Works perfectly.

Trying to decide how heavy the wires need to be for the permanent hookup. I tested with #10 wire. Max charging was about 5-6 amps. I need to draw down the aux battery, then try again, so I can see what the maximum current draw is, I guess.

Ed

#18 ·
Used the van for overkill today. Had one bicycle loaded up in an otherwise empty van. Weekly time trial with the local cycling club on Tuesdays. Was nice not having to take a wheel off to get the bike inside.

#20 ·
Today ... today ...

Today I gazed upon my ready new Promaster sitting quietly in the gentle rain, crystalline beads of anticipation rolled smoothly down its all-seeing windshield and brilliant alabaster sides. I could sense an eagerness, a restlessness in its gaze. "Take me" ... "Take me out" ... "Take me anywhere" ... its words came into my consciousness like some ancient undeniable truth. Dark remorse crept over my soul as I realized I must deny its faithful, fateful request. "Be patient my stalwart friend" I wanted to say. "Another day ... another day." I stood in my doorway for a moment or two admiring its sweet private beauty, wanting to reach out, to touch, to embrace, to comfort its innate yearning, to satisfy its dutiful hunger. But alas, the neighbors were watching and they already think I'm freakin' nuts. So I gazed back at my young Promaster and with my mind spoke "Tomorrow ... perhaps tomorrow we shall wash and wax poetic."

#22 ·
Drilled the first hole in the van last night. <gulp>

Started on the install of a step at the driver's door. Got the location set, drilled the hole, rivnut inserted and crushed, and.... it spins.

Need to check tonight, but I think the rivnut I used is for thicker material. Now the challenge of getting the rivnut out without messing up the hole, as I don't really have an alternate mounting location.

#25 ·
Took About Two Minutes. UnScrewed-UnWanted,Triple-Cup Holder, To Allow For More Floor Space,For Two Or Four Feet. Will Improvise & Make A Better Practical Cover. Utilize All Available Empty Space..
Really opens up the foot space, and would be a clear improvement for anyone sitting in the middle bench seat (if equipped). Has anyone tried getting hold of a Ducato cover/compartment that fits there?

Reactions: sav3406
#24 ·
Temporary cup holders or permanent

Here' my cheap cup holders mounted up high. The picture has one holding a medium drink and a holder being inserted. I did add a large hair bungee around the cup holder to keep it closed.
NOT FOR LARGE DRINKS.

Attachments

#27 ·
Good progress this weekend.

Mounted the passenger side step (Carr Hoop) on Friday.

Saturday was prep work for mounting the MaxxFan.

Up and going at 7am on Sunday (was already 80F !) to start cutting into the roof. Took my time and by 1030am the fan was fully mounted and set. No power to it yet.

#31 ·
Really started digging into the van today.

Pulled the panels from the slider and the rear doors. Added a few bits of sound damping material (butyl with aluminum facing). Realized I'd be putting Thinsulate in there, so moved on. Put some damping material on the wheel wells, basically filling in between the raised areas. They now have a nice solid thump to them.

Pulled out my big roll of Thinsulate to get started. Thought about starting with the doors, but passed on that. Went after the front doors, but the panels weren't coming off nicely.

Moved on to to the cab. Pulled the upper headliner (found the access to the clearance light bulbs!). Stuffed some Thisulate down the front all the way down nearly to the windshield. Next up was my first piece to spray in place. Pulled out the can of 3M 90 and went at it. Worked great. Then stuffed the sides. Last was a loose piece to cover the backside of the clearance lights.

Wanted to keep working on it, but relaxed for the night and went off to watch the UFC fights. Driving it across town its actually noiser right now, mostly because I have the three panels off, especially the rear doors.

#32 ·
Been continuing with the insulation, putting up Thinsulate.

Recently got the plywood fit and temporarily laid down as a floor.

Yesterday finished up the last of the insulation on the side panels. Only have a couple of roof panels left to insulate.

With no panels up yet, the van is noticeably quieter inside while parked, with all the soft surface of the Thinsulate. Kinda neat.