Ram Promaster Forum banner

1721 - 1739 of 1739 Posts

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
111 Posts
Re: Berkey and campervaning. I'm currently investigating them for use in my van. Just an FYI, there are recommended procedures for when you want to leave it unattended for longer periods of time.

Are users of Berkeys happy with them? (Looking for feedback)
Wouldn’t live without my Berkey. And I wouldn’t leave it in the van when not traveling, since I use it every day. It’s so portable. Have the smallest one, the “Travel“. Perfect for just me and my pup.

Reactions: Deryn

·
Registered
301 Posts
I got my van's 60k service done - including changing the gear oil in the M40 transmission. From what I've read online, the folks who had the problems with the M40 were folks who didn't get the gear oil changed, just the hydraulic actuator fluid.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are users of Berkeys happy with them? (Looking for feedback)
I love our berkey. I think we have the medium sized one and we will definitely have it front and center in the van. Water is very important to me.

I am planning on having ours sit on the corner of the sink so you can put a water bottle in the sink under the berkey spout to fill up a water bottle, and also fill it up easily via the pull out faucet. Still have to figure out how I'm going to stabilize it while driving. Most van people with berkey secure it to a corner somewhere.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
111 Posts
I love our berkey. I think we have the medium sized one and we will definitely have it front and center in the van. Water is very important to me.

I am planning on having ours sit on the corner of the sink so you can put a water bottle in the sink under the berkey spout to fill up a water bottle, and also fill it up easily via the pull out faucet. Still have to figure out how I'm going to stabilize it while driving. Most van people with berkey secure it to a corner somewhere.
I mentioned this in another thread, don’t know if you are aware - I only discovered recently that for transport the upper chamber stores upside down in the lower chamber, no need to remove the black filters. The lid has to be stored separately, though.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I cut and secured some plexiglass on the entire interior of our cat litter box. Sealed the corners. Used regular clear painter's caulk for the adhesion and sealing. Hopefully that was a good idea, but it was cheap and it should be easy to remove to do over another way later if that's not working out. We use the clumping clay cat litter and fill the litter really high so leaking really shouldn't be a problem.

Some parts almost dry, the caulk is pretty clear, not super noticeable. (Plus it's for cat litter so who cares lol):

Some parts still drying:

It is white when you put it on. That way you can tell where you're putting it, how good of a job you're doing, and you'll know it's dry when it's clear.

Still need to seal the top edges and the edge around the door hole. Then I'm going to add a little trim around the door hole and then put a hinged lid on top.

I hope our cat uses this thing. She is very picky.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
111 Posts
You can unscrew the lid knob to take it off, and then place the screw back into the knob and place it inside the berkey with your filter parts etc. Then your lid can slide on top of the two combined water container parts.
Awesome! Thank you!

Reactions: serenity

·
Registered
654 Posts
I cut and secured some plexiglass on the entire interior of our cat litter box. Sealed the corners. Used regular clear painter's caulk for the adhesion and sealing. Hopefully that was a good idea, but it was cheap and it should be easy to remove to do over another way later if that's not working out. We use the clumping clay cat litter and fill the litter really high so leaking really shouldn't be a problem.

Some parts almost dry, the caulk is pretty clear, not super noticeable. (Plus it's for cat litter so who cares lol):

View attachment 65325

Some parts still drying:

View attachment 65324

It is white when you put it on. That way you can tell where you're putting it, how good of a job you're doing, and you'll know it's dry when it's clear.

Still need to seal the top edges and the edge around the door hole. Then I'm going to add a little trim around the door hole and then put a hinged lid on top.

I hope our cat uses this thing. She is very picky.
Is it similar to what the cat uses now....
enclosed ?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Is it similar to what the cat uses now....
enclosed ?

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
No, they use an open cat litter box, but it just takes up too much room, do I thought making it into a seat would be good. Plus I wanted it to be higher so my boy cat doesn't fling cat litter everywhere in the van when covering poop.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Finished the Armoire cabinet and installed our Dometic CFX75DZ. Cut our countertop to fit and hope to have the hinges installed tomorrow. We bought an oiled acacia 8' countertop from HD and using 3' to cover the Dometic and the remaining 5' for the passenger side cabinets. Finished the 5 drawer cabinet and sink base as well.

it's finally feeling like I'm making progress.
20200801_183122.jpg
20200801_183354.jpg
20200802_121554.jpg
20200802_124127.jpg
20200802_172315.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Today, it was what did I UNdo to my Promaster.

I emptied out the PM took apart a lot of my prototype build. The makeshift galley, the stack of drawers, and my crude flooring were removed to expose the plywood underneath. This is so I can put a coat or 2 of Kilz primer/sealer/mold-resistant on it. KOV had mentioned he did this his new build and I thought it was a good idea.

1721 - 1739 of 1739 Posts