Ram Promaster Forum banner

1681 - 1700 of 1739 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,654 Posts
Experience is the best teacher. Not the cheapest, not the quickest, not the most efficient, but it leads to a product that cannot be done vicariously. For those of us who were not building out those orange shag rugged and porthole windowed vans in the late 60’s vicarious learning is our best choice. If it wasn’t this forum would have little purpose.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
182 Posts
Installed the front SumoSprings, took about 20 minutes per side. The trick is use soapy water, spread the spring out and put the bottom on first. I think the spring helper made more difference than the rears. Was hoping for a little more lift, maybe got a 1/2". The ride is much improved, it feels like a cat, sure footed, with a soft first touch and seems quieter. Maybe little over the top.

·
Registered
2019 Ram PM 3500 High Top 159" WB EXT
43 Posts
Finally got off my rear and did something today.
Painted the roof with Henry Tropicool silicone
....cut
Great work. Might be a stupid question, but would this be worth doing on an already white van? I assume not, but maybe that paint has significantly better reflective properties than the factory white paint?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
It is a little brighter white than the factory white paint.
I don't know for sure, but I have to imagine it would make a little difference, but not as much as with a dark color. Considering how thick it is, hard to apply and just general PITA working on the roof is, I probably wouldn't have done it if the van was already white. Plus it's $50 p/gal and need 2 gal for 2 coats.

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
It is a little brighter white than the factory white paint.
I don't know for sure, but I have to imagine it would make a little difference, but not as much as with a dark color. Considering how thick it is, hard to apply and just general PITA working on the roof is, I probably wouldn't have done it if the van was already white. Plus it's $50 p/gal and need 2 gal for 2 coats.
I hadn't heard of such a product and so my initial thought was "gee, I wonder if I could get a small amount of it and paint just the seams on the roof as a pre-emptive measure" This is because early PMs had small cracks in the seams that caused leaks. My 2018 has not shown this problem, but It could happen in the future. From the product description, it appeared to be like painting on a coating of silicone.

Could this product work this way?

Note this is my typical brainstorm level of thinking; many times not sound.

Sadly, up in Canada, It's over $100 per gal.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Installed the front SumoSprings, took about 20 minutes per side. The trick is use soapy water, spread the spring out and put the bottom on first. I think the spring helper made more difference than the rears. Was hoping for a little more lift, maybe got a 1/2". The ride is much improved, it feels like a cat, sure footed, with a soft first touch and seems quieter. Maybe little over the top.
Great to hear. This helped me decide to do the same. Where did you buy them?

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
paint just the seams on the roof

like painting on a coating of silicone.

Sadly, up in Canada, It's over $100 per gal.
I see no reason why it couldn't be used to just cover seams.
It's consistency is like white silicone caulk that's watered down thin enough to put on with a brush. But it's still very thick and sets up very quickly. You have to be completely ready to go and no pauses (for a large surface). It starts to skin and get little boogers in it after about 10 min.
For just doing a few seams, that wouldn't be an issue.
$100/gal? That's an issue.
Eterna bond tape was mentioned.
I don't know if the tape or silicone would last longer. No experience with the tape or how it lays down, if it needs to be replaced every so often, etc. The silicone obviously leaves no air gap and seals really well, but I expect needing to refresh it every few years. I haven't heard anything negative about the eterna bond yet and I'm pretty sure a few members used it awhile ago, for seams, around vents, etc.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Turquoise, a color by any other name could not be as sweet.
"Turquoise is an opaque, blue-to-green mineral that is a hydrated phosphate of copper and aluminium, with the chemical formula CuAl6(PO4)4(OH)8·4H2O. It is rare and valuable in finer grades and has been prized as a gemstone and ornamental stone for thousands of years owing to its unique hue." From Groogle.

·
Super Moderator
8,605 Posts
Depends on where us going. No adapter needed behind the front seats.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was able to get the transmission shifter Recall resolved. And thanks to the forum finally was able to change the readouts on my dash. Thanks to all, this is a great place to visit.
Doug

1681 - 1700 of 1739 Posts