Ram Promaster Forum banner

1461 - 1472 of 1472 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where'dja put the rig? I put an Icom IC7000 under the driver's seat with a long cord on the remote head so I can operate sitting on the couch. Then I added a Yaesu FT7800 under the seat, with the head unit near the cupholders.

.-- .---- . ..-. --

ps. I spotted the beam and dipole in the back yard... nice!
LOL yes the reflection off the window revealed some of my antennas.
That is a homebrew 40m/20m inverted V with the center on a side arm at 35 ft, and the 5 element 6m yagi and the 10 element 2m yagi (both by Directive Systems) on a modified Alumna T-140 tower in the back yard. That tower had been mounted on my 1997 Ford E350XLT for about 10 years. You should have seen that rig driving down Interstates and dirt Scout camp roads!
Gordon, W2TTT

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where'dja put the rig? I put an Icom IC7000 under the driver's seat with a long cord on the remote head so I can operate sitting on the couch. Then I added a Yaesu FT7800 under the seat, with the head unit near the cupholders.

.-- .---- . ..-. --

ps. I spotted the beam and dipole in the back yard... nice!
Radios for the front are an ICOM IC-2730 and a Yaseu FT-400XDR.
The control heads are mounted using 3M Dual-Loc to the overhead with the Yaseu in the center underneath an 8 position switch panel and the ICOM above and in frond of the driver. The ICOM has the microphone on the head, but I had to run a CAT-5 extension for the Yaseu microphone. The radios are currently mounted on a shelf along the wall behind the driver's seat and small speakers are on a plate behind the struts of the driver's headrest.
Left and right audio and the tone of each radio tell me which band and which radio is active. I am planning a separate VHF/UHF FM/DMR stack for the rear operating desk.

I have also installed a tall desktop 19 inch rack for radios and a shorter one for the vehicle's wired and wireless LAN, AREDN Mesh, cell modem and embedded PCs and Raspberry Pi controller used for various functions. Some stuff runs 24x7 on the house batteries, so I have a 175W panel on the roof and a 15A, 115 VAC input to a 13.8 VDC power supply/charger. If left overnight, there is plenty of power in the two 6 Volt golf cart batteries to run things. Even mounted flat in winter, the panel can restore the charge level on a cloudy day. The AC input is a backup when home or in a location where you might want to bring in a modest amount of AC power for essentials using a simple extension cord.

Antennas are modest at this point, but include a 5/8 wavelength whip for 2m APRS on the Yaseu and a 19 inch whip for 2m/70cm. There is an omni MIMO antenna for 2,4 and 5 GHz AREDN Mesh and a cellular antenna that is going to be upgraded to an omni MIMO this weekend. The six small coaxial cables are bundled through a single compression gland and siliconed. There are 8 type N and UHF bulkhead connectors that make installation on the roof easy. More antennas for HF, VHF and UHF are being planned. These connectors are capped when unused to keep out rain. Also, all cables into the vehicle are on the driver's side rear corner up high on the side, not roof, to minimize water ingress, road abuse and tampering.

I'll post pictures soon.
Gordon, W2TTT

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
Made these little babies.

MrNomer guessed them to be wedges, but I’m painting them white, so they are not wedges. Just another detail I have time for these COVID days.

Before:

After:

What am I gonna do when I run out of projects? :unsure:

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Oh I thought they were soap box derby cars!
Buy a 2021 136” HT and move the conversion? Or do another?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I just knocked out a fully magnet-held screen door! What a fun project that was! I had enough left over to make a second. I hate bugs. I've got enough extra screen to make some screens for at least one of the front windows - maybe both. I tried to attach pictures.....Not so sure that was successful >:\

Attachments

1461 - 1472 of 1472 Posts