Ram Promaster Forum banner
3081 - 3100 of 3105 Posts

·
Registered
2020 159 HT (yep a white van man)
399 Posts
sometimes I use skill saw instead of table saw...why do they call it skill saw???
When couple extra screws and support for horizontal 2x4 it's good. Haha

Still working off wood score....if buying probably use 2x2 instead of 2x4

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk
One needs Skill to use these large bladed auto-Coping saws... maybe that is why?

A Scroll saw is a greater challenge to learn IMO. But, once learned; it is a lot easier than it looks.

Reactions: baitbegger44##

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,755 Posts
A tool no wood worker should be without

I bought a set of those. Maybe it was just my set that was defective, but the bigger one wasn't "square". I would have thought it should be because it's just injection-molded (I am guessing) and thus no room for error. However, it is not.

But my build is so crude that it doesn't really matter anyway (i.e. it was "close enough"). Still, it bothers me.

I bought this inexpensive set because as a novice with near-zero experience with woodworking, I wasn't sure how much I would use these in the long run (what a noob!) and didn't want to splurge on metal ones. I should have bought some nice metal ones; it turned out I used the squares a LOT.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I bought a set of those. Maybe it was just my set that was defective, but the bigger one wasn't "square". I would have thought it should be because it's just injection-molded (I am guessing) and thus no room for error. However, it is not.

But my build is so crude that it doesn't really matter anyway (i.e. it was "close enough"). Still, it bothers me.

I bought this inexpensive set because as a novice with near-zero experience with woodworking, I wasn't sure how much I would use these in the long run (what a noob!) and didn't want to splurge on metal ones. I should have bought some nice metal ones; it turned out I used the squares a LOT.
I like to go by 2 rules on the subject of "close enough".
1) Is the user complaining - if not, not an issue
2) Is it a safety problem (added this one after running the safety review board for a weapons system) - if not, not an issue.

Yes, I had seen them come out with the plastic ones, If left in the wrong place and angle they distort. Luckily, mine aluminum and I've had it since the 60's... maybe 70's.

Have fun!

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Other than the weight of the wood... this is a decent effort from a person claiming not to be a wood worker.

I was on the edge of using wood until the global Simpson's Paradox scam occurred. Then the prices well above other materials.
not a carpenter.....i admire the work of carpenters...but am member of American Association of Woodturners.....while mostly not turning any more because of shakie from diabetes which sneaks up on you....had to try painting....
do a little

I like scroll saw but mostly did rough cuts

·
Registered
399 Posts
not a carpenter.....i admire the work of carpenters...but am member of American Association of Woodturners.....while mostly not turning any more because of shakie from diabetes which sneaks up on you....had to try painting....
do a little

I like scroll saw but mostly did rough cuts

I fully understand!

Maybe you were born a few decades too late. :)

When I was turning crankshafts in the '70's I had to bump the machine to maintain true... Was quite funny to see a group of guys b(h)umping lathes.

Scroll saws are probably out of my league now... no more feather filigree from the guy who has to remove glasses and glare at items closely with the good eye.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I fully understand!

Maybe you were born a few decades too late. :)

When I was turning crankshafts in the '70's I had to bump the machine to maintain true... Was quite funny to see a group of guys b(h)umping lathes.

Scroll saws are probably out of my league now... no more feather filigree from the guy who has to remove glasses and glare at items closely with the good eye.
bought bandsaw at an estate sale..$40.....somewhere along the way somebody upgraded motor....see peg board around motor.......i bought riser block $100 new larger blade $14.....plywood was much cheaper and better quality 10-15 years ago
I have to send city tool inventory every year

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
450 Posts
FINALLY installed my passenger sliding door window. AMA sliding window from Van Windows Direct. Interior bug screen slides out of the way if needed as shown by the little furry guy.

Window Hood Fixture Rectangle Shade

Dog Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Public transport

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
450 Posts
Also did my first ever own oil change. What a piece of cake. Probably not going to have it done at a shop ever again, it’s so quick and easy on the Promaster.

·
Registered
2019 118" Silver
1,446 Posts
Yes. +1 for the "little furry guy".

Sure, ice cream, although I imagine a sign above him, "Slobbers for free!"

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Hi all,

Decided to raise the bed platform. The newer mountain bikes are taller than the ones that I had while doing my initail build. The space below is now 39", it was 32". The space from the top of the bed to ceiling is now 27", it was 34". Now there is lots of space for bikes and other tall things below, while providing lots of space above for sleeping, watching TV, or reading.

Mike

Bicycle Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle handlebar
Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Truck

·
Registered
2018, Promaster 159 Extended
41 Posts
Hey seems like a thing ... I just finished my basement bike rack too - for 2 bikes. But in my case the bikes were wider than the bed so I had some jiggery pokery to do to make things work. The video is here:
Font Rectangle Parallel Handwriting Diagram

·
Registered
399 Posts
I have been enjoying Walmart cancelling/refunding orders now...
Luckily not life critical... but, it is annoying to get your space heater order cancelled as we enter fall.

Otherwise I would have a space heater to add :/
More blankets and heavier sleeping bag seem needed for a bit...

·
Registered
2021 PM 2500 HT
43 Posts
I installed our new 11.5' awning today, and I learned a few things. We chose the Fiamma primarily because they offer the F45S in a Titanium color case - almost an exact match for our silver van. Other companies just offer white or black cases. Our 8020 rack is supported by mounts & towers from DIY Van.

The 3 aluminum brackets that the awning hangs from have to be located in specific places on the awning case to support the awning "knuckles". The directions show installing on a vertical RV wall, so installation on a rack is a little different. I had a few spare 8020 connector parts from the rack build, so I used 6 inside corner braces for the Fiamma brackets to hang from. The aluminum brackets are not strong enough to support the awning if not supported at the top (DAMHIK).

A trip to HD for (6) 1/4-20 x 1" carriage bolts, a package of 1/4-20 Nylock nuts, and some 1/4" washers (about $6 total) was all I needed. They look like this when assembled:

Daytime Tree Wood Plant Composite material

Sky Daytime Road surface Asphalt Wood

I liked this solution because the corner braces & 8020 rail support all but the the bottom 1" of the Fiamma brackets, and it minimizes the torque stress on the 8020 rail. The distance from the square holes in the brackets to the bottom of the bracket is 4".

The instructions say to install the brackets on the RV first, then hang the awning on the brackets, and finally install the small screw / nut through the bottom of the brackets & the awning case. Unfortunately, if you do it this way it isn't possible to put the small screw in because there is only about 0.5" gap between the awning case & the roof. I opted to install the bracket assemblies on the awning case with the set screws & slide the whole assembly along the length of the rail. Easier said than done, but with my wife (who is recovering from a broken wrist) helping we were able to slide the T-nuts through.

There was a little interference between the aluminum brackets and the mounts / towers but by loosening the carriage bolts I was able to get the brackets to slide the length of the rail and it held while I got the position just right and tightened the T-nuts & carriage bolts.

Tightening the T-nuts was a problem because a standard allen wrench can't fit into the gap between the T-nut bolts and the carriage bolts. My solution was to cut an old 3/16 allen wrench to about 3/8 inch on the short side so it would fit the space.

We're really happy with the finished result:

Wheel Tire Sky Window Vehicle

The color almost looks like a factory match, and the mount is really solid. Extending the awning about 3' drops the leading edge enough that I can open the legs without a stool or ladder (I'm 5'9" tall)

I've ordered some J-channel from Amazon along with some silver spray paint especially for flexible vinyl. The J-channel is 0.5" thick so it should just fill the gap. We will install the J-channel under the awning case at the top of the roof curve, and if we open the awning 1 to 2' when it's raining we should be able to completely avoid the annoying water drip into the open sliding door.

Total time for the install was about 6 hours, including the time spent standing & staring at the problem. If I did it again I could probably get it done in half the time!

BrianB

·
Registered
Ramses is a white 2014 2500 159wb High Top
128 Posts
Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Bumper

I made my bed, and last night l slept there. Tight fit with that mattress, but I found only the fitted sheet difficult to put on. The good news with such a snug mattress fit is that the sheet and blankets seem less like to work free during sleeping....

3081 - 3100 of 3105 Posts