Registered
2020 159 HT (yep a white van man)
399 Posts
Reactions: Baxsie

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,502 Posts
Thank you Baxsie, what head unit are you installing and what are you going to do for an antenna?
I just clicked through all the recommended stuff at Crutchfield. There is some antenna adapter in there, hopefully, it is correct. Backordered, been about 3 weeks now . . .

Font Parallel Technology Electronic device Web page

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
1,446 Posts
Nice installation.

Something that will have no use in my van since I don't even use the in-built speakers (radio remains off ... always... useless thing... nothing interesting is emitted from these noise boxes IMO)... but, nice work!
The nice thing about speakers is you choose what noise they emit.
The antenna, however, is the useless part - that's the part that receives unwanted noise.

·
Registered
2021 Promaster 2500 high roof 136wb in white
44 Posts
I found out the antenna adapter from Crutchfields is to replace the factory head unit in the dash, not to tie in for a second stereo. Is anyone aware of a small antenna that I could mount on my rear camera housing?

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,502 Posts
I found out the antenna adapter from Crutchfields is to replace the factory head unit in the dash, not to tie in for a second stereo. Is anyone aware of a small antenna that I could mount on my rear camera housing?
Maybe something like this or this ? You would definitely need an extension cable, maybe an amplified one to overcome the additional length (a longer cable makes more load and reduces the signal). I'm not an expert on car audio antennas . . . remember this advice is free still may not be a good deal.

Gadget Audio equipment Cable Font Wire

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks Baxsie, I think a mast type would be a the best choice, with a stubby mast to clear my garage door.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I wish I can find a stubby antenna. But, physics just keeps telling me 'no'. So, I am looking to put a dipole or J pole antenna along the (will eventually be added) roof rack. But, these are not for 'those' radios. Merely to HAM it up.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I will be receiving a dipole antenna with my head unit, I might as well give it a try.

·
Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
100 Posts
I lost the passenger side mud guard sometime last year. I finally got around to replacing it. Two unusable "universal" fit flaps from Amazon later, I just cut a chunk out of my floor mat (came with van, not used except to lay out and cut stuff) and assembled.
Wood Saw Asphalt Flooring Road surface
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Car Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Like most of my build, pretty crude hack job, but looks good from 6' away (sort of like social distancing).

Getting ready for a three week tour of the four corners region, including some high country if I can get there before the snow: Great Basin and Bears Ears/Dark Canyon area.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I lost the passenger side mud guard sometime last year. I finally got around to replacing it. Two unusable "universal" fit flaps from Amazon later, I just cut a chunk out of my floor mat (came with van, not used except to lay out and cut stuff) and assembled.
View attachment 78413 View attachment 78414 View attachment 78415

Like most of my build, pretty crude hack job, but looks good from 6' away (sort of like social distancing).

Getting ready for a three week tour of the four corners region, including some high country if I can get there before the snow: Great Basin and Bears Ears/Dark Canyon area.
IMO.... crude and hack jobs are great. But, many pride themselves on the care, time and the 'process' of the work/build.

Me? I got a van... get on the road, test and alter ... with a priority to the 'get on the road'.

Reactions: larry barello

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,755 Posts

Excellent. I lost the right-side rear mud flap too under circumstances I can't remember. I think the hack approach will work for me as well.

Reactions: ramalamadindong

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
719 Posts

I can't tell the difference from my front porch.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Excellent. I lost the right-side rear mud flap too under circumstances I can't remember. I think the hack approach will work for me as well.
Just be certain the flap is as rigid in the wind as the original (ish) or you may enjoy some unwanted vibration

Reactions: travelvanvan

·
Registered
44 Posts
Like so many others on this site I installed a wolfbox rearview mirror with the rear camera located up high by the factory camera, I was surprised to have an extra 30 inches in length for rear camera cable.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Mode of transport
One thing I did differently was to replace the glass fuses with ATM 2's.
Audio equipment Electrical wiring Automotive tire Computer hardware Trunk

3041 - 3060 of 3105 Posts