Ram Promaster Forum banner

2601 - 2620 of 2628 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,683 Posts
Many would totally disagree with you for many, many reasons but if it works for you that’s all that’s important.

Reactions: RV8R

·
Registered
52 Posts
Many would totally disagree with you for many, many reasons but if it works for you that’s all that’s important.
I would love to hear your perspective, because I am new to this, can you please share some of the pro's and con's or direct me to where I could find them? Many thanks for your help. Cheers...AB

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
I would love to hear your perspective, because I am new to this, can you please share some of the pro's and con's or direct me to where I could find them? Many thanks for your help. Cheers...AB
PEX is what I used in our conversion and it seems like a sensible choice to me.
Cut to length easily.
Good for hot and cold runs.
Flexible enough to bend around corners.
A variety of ways to connect, including very simple push on SharkBite fittings.
Does expand when the water in it freezes and resists freeze failure ( see tests on the Build site: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFCTrfb1JUJjs3Im8OZDtBw)
Readily available at any hardware.
Lasts 50+ years.
Inexpensive.
The choice of plumbers in virtually all new home builds.

Not that there are not other good choices, but seems like PEX is the default.

Gary

·
Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
329 Posts
I don't have permanent plumbing in my van, but if I did, it would be PEX. I just don't see a downside at all. I have used it in home settings and it is easy to use and relatively bulletproof. I have never used the sharkbite fittings, as early on I bought a high quality pliers thingie for the standard band clamps. It even lights up when you achieve the proper pressure. I think I paid about $150 for the pliers, but that was quickly recouped in savings over expensive sharkbite fittings, and the regular band clamps are really quick and easy to install.

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
377 Posts
Forget Pex, way over-rated. After investing $48 in a Pex cinch tool, I ended up throwing it all away and ended up using braided tubing and Stainless Steel clamps, better, faster and far more pliable. If it freezes, tubing can expand a bit without damage. Ask me how I know. Cheers...AB
Pex can and does expand as it freezes, then return to normal size. Pex is not cheap, but braided tubing and SS fittings sound more expensive? I have used Pex in campers and housing, never had a single failure in over 15 years that was not my fault for forgetting to crimp a fitting. I have however had several braided SS sink supply lines fail and always at the factory crimped threaded fitting.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Nope that's new, found the inverter and outlets.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
I've never seen this in real-life. I'm interested in seeing this.
Our 2013 Dodge Journey has the inverter/ac outlet setup in the center console... I guess FCA is adding it to more vehicles. FYI: it's a low power AC outlet.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Built and installed the driver side cabinets (not all in one day, haha), its all starting to come together. Painting and Poly while hard, boring and time consuming is totally worth it if you like the look, Poplar and painted panels.

IMG_0016.jpeg IMG_0018.jpeg IMG_0019.jpeg IMG_0020.jpeg

and here is the other side, each has a switched Led light and a strut to hold the door open.

IMG_9975.jpeg IMG_9993.jpeg

The galley is next and its really testing my skills, Y'all and YouTube are my friends.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
267 Posts
Forget Pex, way over-rated. After investing $48 in a Pex cinch tool, I ended up throwing it all away and ended up using braided tubing and Stainless Steel clamps, better, faster and far more pliable. If it freezes, tubing can expand a bit without damage. Ask me how I know. Cheers...AB
After replumbing our boat, I quickly realized that a PEX tool works quickly, but very hard to get into tight places and get a good crimp. In van went with good quality branded vinyl w/clamps, so much more flexible and easier to install. Was able to route a hose thru an existing hole near the slider to drain sink to the ground, where appropriate

·
Super Moderator
10,683 Posts
One good reason to prefab your pex lines (if possible) before installing.

·
Registered
2021, 159, HR
18 Posts
Took our PM to the dealership for its free oil/filter change and had the tires rotated (it was on special).
Free because...newly purchased? Was that a negotiated benefit, or was it just included in the purchase (assuming free is related to purchase).

2601 - 2620 of 2628 Posts