Ram Promaster Forum banner

2581 - 2600 of 2628 Posts

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
Yes, window latches. Try Habitat ReStore, etc. The real brass ones should last forever. If you want "antique" finish, instead of bright brass, hit them with Easy Off oven cleaner or equivalent.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
As MsNomer says, window latches work well. They secure solidly and are easy to release. I use 'em on my pocket door and nothing moves when latched.

I got mine at Lowes in the hardware dept... very inexpensive and available in a variety of finishes.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Got a new iPhone only to discover that it wouldn't pair with the Victron BMV-712 Smart and MPPT 100/30 in our van. Discovered that I had to reset the PIN codes but needed the PUK codes to do that. No problem getting the PUK code from the MPPT, but the back of the BMV-712 was tough to reach, let alone read.

Used the camera on my phone - using the forward lens so I could see what I was pointing at - to snap a pic of the PUK code. And also wrote it down on the back of the manual for future reference.

Lesson learned: write down any and all codes for equipment before installing them! 😉

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
267 Posts
Update on the portable shower, very happy with results. Used a 3-1/2 gal SS garden sprayer. A few fittings and hand
shower handle with hose. The best trick, the immersion heater. It's 600watts (55 amps actual), using house batteries thru inverter. Was able to raised the water temp from 65F to 102F in 15 minutes (using 14ah) no propane and all renewable. Enough warm water for two or three showers. Another important tip, make certain the shower head has a full shut off. Most don't and the shut off keeps trickling. Maybe a $120 total.

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
377 Posts
Installed the factory OEM wiring and made a custom bracket for the 7 pin trailer plug out of aluminium sheet. I'm ready to tow and the cost was under $400.

·
Premium Member
2014, 138WB, High Roof, Gas, SW MT
2,126 Posts
Update on the portable shower, very happy with results. Used a 3-1/2 gal SS garden sprayer. A few fittings and hand View attachment 73902 shower handle with hose. The best trick, the immersion heater. It's 600watts (55 amps actual), using house batteries thru inverter. Was able to raised the water temp from 65F to 102F in 15 minutes (using 14ah) no propane and all renewable. Enough warm water for two or three showers. Another important tip, make certain the shower head has a full shut off. Most don't and the shut off keeps trickling. Maybe a $120 total. View attachment 73903 View attachment 73904
Hi,
Not at all trying to take away from what you did - I think its a really well designed setup.

But, I think the heat up energy numbers may be a bit optimistic...

Energy to heat3.5 gallons from 65 to 102F..

(3.5 gal)(8.33 lb/gal) (1 BTU/lb-F) (102F - 65F) = 1080 BTU, or 316 watt-hrs,

Say, 350 watt-hours with 90% efficient inverter.

Amp-hrs out of 12 volt battery = 350/12 = 30 amp-hrs

Still very viable for most battery packs, and a really nice setup.

Gary

·
Registered
414 Posts
I also wonder about the 15 minutes to heat from 65 degrees to 102 degrees. Using my 800 Watt Monoprice Sous Vide, it takes about 26 minutes to heat 3.9 gallons from 65 degrees to 100 degrees. So slightly larger volume of water (3.9g vs. 3.5g), but also higher wattage on the heater (800W vs 600W). And slightly less temperature rise. The Sous Vide has a small propeller which helps to heat the water evenly. It looks like you measured the water temperature with an infrared thermometer. Does that just measure the surface temperature?

15 minutes seems too quick. Perhaps that partially explains the difference in Gary's calculation of 30AH vs your test of 14AH.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
I love the general concept, although I would probably use my butane cooktop to heat it (or even a campfire??)

I, too, would like a link to the stainless pump setup....
There is a middle ground. When electrons are scarce, MrNomer may heat shower water on the butane or propane outside stove, then we use the Sous Vide to fine-tune the temperature. 108° appears to be our sweet spot.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,593 Posts
Can you link the actual 3-1/2 gallon unit? I'm digging what you've done.
pretty sure it's a Smith SS 3.5 gallon sprayer S103E

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
267 Posts
I also wonder about the 15 minutes to heat from 65 degrees to 102 degrees. Using my 800 Watt Monoprice Sous Vide, it takes about 26 minutes to heat 3.9 gallons from 65 degrees to 100 degrees. So slightly larger volume of water (3.9g vs. 3.5g), but also higher wattage on the heater (800W vs 600W). And slightly less temperature rise. The Sous Vide has a small propeller which helps to heat the water evenly. It looks like you measured the water temperature with an infrared thermometer. Does that just measure the surface temperature?

15 minutes seems too quick. Perhaps that partially explains the difference in Gary's calculation of 30AH vs your test of 14AH.
I was latter questioning the numbers. The water temp did read 102F after 15 min...but that was at the surface, after mixing it will drop. I was using a RF hitting sprayer bottom, but must be reading surface. Also I didn't disconnect the solar PV but added 5 amps input into the cals. So going to rerun with them off line.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,829 Posts
I came home from a week-long trip a bit disappointed—I couldn’t think of anything new for the van. But then while looking for something else, I found this (without the blue foam insert):

I made this bowl holder last year as an attachment to my Cupholder by the slider, but it didn’t work, so I stored it away. Now I was looking for a way to attach it to the cupholder shelf on the dash. My thought was to "plug it in" underneath, and remove when not in use.

MrNomer said it would work better up higher. I said that would be way too much work, but then I spied my Yeti can holder. A lining of 1/8” foam, and the deed was done.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I finished the plumbing!! If I had it to do over, I'd nix every push-to-connect fitting and just use the cinch clamp rings. Even not being strong, If you get the leverage right, the tool is easy to use and the fittings are so much less bulky in tight corners.

To anyone who bought a recpro water tank with 3/8" female ports, here's my solution: a 3/8"mnpt x 3/8" mnpt, connecting that to a 3/8" female x 1/2" male. Then a 1/2" female x 1/2" pex. There just isn't a pex 3/8" mnpt x 1/2" pex (b).

·
Registered
52 Posts
I finished the plumbing!! If I had it to do over, I'd nix every push-to-connect fitting and just use the cinch clamp rings. Even not being strong, If you get the leverage right, the tool is easy to use and the fittings are so much less bulky in tight corners.

To anyone who bought a recpro water tank with 3/8" female ports, here's my solution: a 3/8"mnpt x 3/8" mnpt, connecting that to a 3/8" female x 1/2" male. Then a 1/2" female x 1/2" pex. There just isn't a pex 3/8" mnpt x 1/2" pex (b).

Forget Pex, way over-rated. After investing $48 in a Pex cinch tool, I ended up throwing it all away and ended up using braided tubing and Stainless Steel clamps, better, faster and far more pliable. If it freezes, tubing can expand a bit without damage. Ask me how I know. Cheers...AB

2581 - 2600 of 2628 Posts