Ram Promaster Forum banner

2561 - 2580 of 2628 Posts

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
311 Posts
I found this interesting, too. At first I thought that I wouldn’t need 4 hi-power DC circuits. The only load I’m planning that will pull >30 amps is the inverter.

Then I thought – can I use the hi-power circuits for energy sources as well as loads:

200A for a 2kw inverter (load)
50A for the 30A DC-DC converter (source)
50 A for 30A of solar panels (source)
100A for 80A shore power charger (source)

This would keep the wiring compact and clean, and eliminate the need for separate fuse holders & bus bars, .

Any problems with this plan?

Will this fuse block handle these total loads? I can’t imagine ever coming close to 400A total, but I don't see this information on the packaging. If it could actually handle 4 x 200A fused circuits then no problem, but this isn't clear.

Are the terminals large enough & strong enough to handle the AWG 0 wire of the inverter and the AWG 4/0 to the batteries? What size are the lugs, and what is the maximum width of terminal the lugs can accept?
Here is the Blue Sea link, I purchased mine from PKYS.com for $101.

Reactions: BrianB

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
377 Posts
Hitch came in, took me about 1/2 hr to install:

Had to cut a notch in the oem bumper cover...easy:

Done

Walmart had the best price $141.07 and free shipping.........

·
Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
116 Posts
Hitch came in, took me about 1/2 hr to install:

Had to cut a notch in the oem bumper cover...easy:

Done

Walmart had the best price $141.07 and free shipping.........
Which hitch did you go for?

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
506 Posts
I found this interesting, too. At first I thought that I wouldn’t need 4 hi-power DC circuits. The only load I’m planning that will pull >30 amps is the inverter.

Then I thought – can I use the hi-power circuits for energy sources as well as loads:

200A for a 2kw inverter (load)
50A for the 30A DC-DC converter (source)
50 A for 30A of solar panels (source)
100A for 80A shore power charger (source)

This would keep the wiring compact and clean, and eliminate the need for separate fuse holders & bus bars, .

Any problems with this plan?

Will this fuse block handle these total loads? I can’t imagine ever coming close to 400A total, but I don't see this information on the packaging. If it could actually handle 4 x 200A fused circuits then no problem, but this isn't clear.

Are the terminals large enough & strong enough to handle the AWG 0 wire of the inverter and the AWG 4/0 to the batteries? What size are the lugs, and what is the maximum width of terminal the lugs can accept?
Depending on your max load, even considering power assist load inverters, 4/0 wire is way overkill. Even a Victron Multiplus 3000 12v is fine with 2/0 and a 250 amp fuse, even in power assist mode. Check it out with the Blue Sea circuit sizer if your runs are really long.

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
288 Posts

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
89 Posts
All the mounting positions are there and it's pretty crazy how well it fits considering the massive engine we get in the USA. While I was installing it I noticed that they kept the pans shaped a certain way that matches this underbelly pan setup nearly 100%. I just had to flatten part of the trans pan area and put a little notch in the naca duct part of the plastic pan where the exhaust is. (look carefully at the center of my pic for this)
RPM, have you noticed any difference in road noise, engine temp or mpg since installing your underbelly pan?

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Put together a 3-1/2 gal garden sprayer into a portable shower. Added a strap to secure.
If you throw one of these in there on 120V you can have warm/hot water in 30-40 minutes, depending on start temp. They are supposed to be 2000w at 220v but, maybe not. I have a couple I am experimenting with and because the specs don't seem to be very accurate the ones I have run at 330 and 400w on 120V.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
267 Posts
If you purchase direct from Monoprice they are even cheaper and free shipping. Strata Home by Monoprice Sous Vide Immersion Cooker 800W $46

Puffcard, where did you purchase that strap? I could use one like that.
We made the strap, got them all over. Very easy to make, go on eBay, get some buckles, webbing, brackets and some heavy thread.
The immersion heaters might be a solid idea, I have a 120V inverter outlet in the garage near it. I think we could also set in the sun or front of the campfire or diesel heater and also warm the water, all seals are silicone. Looking at the bucket heaters, like to find one around 1,000w vs the std 1,500w.

·
Premium Member
2018 136 HR Ont.
592 Posts
Looking at the bucket heaters, like to find one around 1,000w vs the std 1,500w.
I could not find an 1000-1500w immersion heater in that form so that is why I went to a 220V 2000-3000w which theoretically becomes roughly 500-750w when run on 110V. I didn't want to draw much more than 50 amp from the batts. In fact the ones I got actually only ran at 330-400 watts. At that power it is easy on the batteries.

·
Registered
255 Posts
RPM, have you noticed any difference in road noise, engine temp or mpg since installing your underbelly pan?
Honestly, with all the insulation the van has become very quiet. So the underbelly pan setup probably just contributed to making it a bit more quiet. Between the sound, corrosion resistance and maintaining cleanliness under the hood I wanted to do it.

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
124 Posts
Installed some mood lighting above the bed. LED strip on a dimmer, hard to get a good photo of it but the leds point up, giving a nice glow for winding down the evening.

·
Registered
136" 2500 HR Gasser - Build Mode Activated
124 Posts
I like the door latches for the cabinets, what kind are they? Thanks...AB
They're from this antique store in my neighborhood. I believe they are actually window latches. Got them cheap, polished with Brasso, and that's that.

2561 - 2580 of 2628 Posts