·
Registered
514 Posts
Weighed the Promaster on a truck scale.
Front axle 3300lbs
Rear axle 3140
Trailer axle 1680
Total 8120
Fuel mileage was a concern, load balance seems good.
Replacing trailer tires with car tires today, don't want a blow out or 2.

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
336 Posts
Weighed the Promaster on a truck scale.
Front axle 3300lbs
Rear axle 3140
Trailer axle 1680
Total 8120
Fuel mileage was a concern, load balance seems good.
Replacing trailer tires with car tires today, don't want a blow out or 2.
Why car tires over say Goodyear Endurance trailer tires?

·
Registered
101 Posts
I made my van worse. I had a small leak in the gasket under my AC Unit when it rained. So, I replaced the gasket and put everything back together. Now, my AC doesn't work. And, I put some nice scratches on the roof. Awesome!

·
Registered
2019 159 EXT HR (3500) in WA
1,073 Posts
I made my van worse. . . .
Aw, that sucks. If you did not let the refrigerant out, it may be that you just disconnected, pinched, or jiggled a connector? Can you get an OBD scan that might point you in the right direction?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Why car tires over say Goodyear Endurance trailer tires?
The tires you mentioned look great. Ratings are good too. Prices are acceptable as well.
Not sure about now but there was a time when trailer tires were frequently failing. The year old tires on my tag a long have less than 10k miles and upon inspection are junk. A lot of Airstreams have been damaged by bad and pricy trailer tires. So, follow this, a car tire is more likely to be of acceptable quality than a trailer tire that likely might never wear the tread out. Likely the side walls rot. Tire guy at Sams suggested I could get a weight and speed rated car tire easier than what I had on my trailer.
Well, tried to get tires at Sams, but they did not have any that fit, so I went to a trusted commercial tire place and purchased radial trailer tires.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I made my van worse. I had a small leak in the gasket under my AC Unit when it rained. So, I replaced the gasket and put everything back together. Now, my AC doesn't work. And, I put some nice scratches on the roof. Awesome!
Another Promaster brother or sister.
So many times I could just kick myself for doing something ill-conceived, horribly planned and poorly executed.
And you could have paid someone to do this to get the same or worse result, go figure.

·
Premium Member
2021 3500 Extended
336 Posts
The tires you mentioned look great. Ratings are good too. Prices are acceptable as well.
Not sure about now but there was a time when trailer tires were frequently failing. The year old tires on my tag a long have less than 10k miles and upon inspection are junk. A lot of Airstreams have been damaged by bad and pricy trailer tires. So, follow this, a car tire is more likely to be of acceptable quality than a trailer tire that likely might never wear the tread out. Likely the side walls rot. Tire guy at Sams suggested I could get a weight and speed rated car tire easier than what I had on my trailer.
Well, tried to get tires at Sams, but they did not have any that fit, so I went to a trusted commercial tire place and purchased radial trailer tires.
I changed out the cheap crap tires that came on my RPod due to low mileage blow out reports. The Goodyear Endurance are made in USA and have a pretty good following so that's what I put on the 'pod. They also make them in different load ranges.

·
Registered
2017 159, w/dual sliders. SF Bay area
1,031 Posts
I adjusted the windshield washer sprayer on the passenger side so it wasn't spraying the marker lights.

And took the van over to the local mountain to ride my bike.

·
Registered
'17 136 HT Black
315 Posts
Mocked up my Unistrut roof rack for solar. Simple, but time consuming. Now time to get it cut and powdercoated.

·
Registered
2017 136” HR
288 Posts
Tested my Moonshade for the 1. time today. LOVE it. Attached it with the big magnets right now at the rear. It’s holding up for now with a slight breeze. When I mount it on the sides it’ll be attached to my future DIY roof rack.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Today I added a drink holder. At the start of my build, the driver seat armrest kept getting in my way so I removed it. I wrapped a bit of material left over from the window shades to a round of 1/4" wood and used the same screws to attach it. The driver seat
doesn't swivel, and I never use the armrest while driving, so it worked out well. a.jpg .

But, after adding a swivel to the passenger seat I thought that spot looked about right for a drink holder. There's just one screw holding it on, so it stays level even if the driver seat gets leaned back or foward.
b.jpg c.jpg d.jpg

·
Registered
2017 - 2500 159
809 Posts
I washed the van.

I had made the mistake of parking under a mulberry tree. It was a great spot for a while. Then a week or two ago I started seeing berry splotches on the van. By yesterday evening the entire roof, one whole side, and the front end were covered in a thousand splattered berries. Yesterday evening as I was working on the heat exchange connections, at about 5:30 all of a sudden, for unknown reasons, the tree decided to shed berries. They were falling faster than every second. They splattered on me, my tools, the engine, and all over the van. That was the last straw. The opposite side of the street was open and perfect for working on the van. I finished work, packed up, pulled a u turn and parked safely out of range of the evil tree.

After work today I headed out with 2 buckets and 2 rags, and grabbed my telescoping ladder. One hour and one bucket refill later it's nice and clean! (Except for the crannies like around the roof rack feet and below the windshield wipers.)

Should have taken a before photo, but you could hardly tell it was supposed to be a white van lol.

·
Registered
2018 Silver 159 HT
255 Posts
Got tired of the vent mount phone holder. Cut a piece of ABS black plastic, clipped the vent phone holder to it and push the plastic into the front of the clipboard section. This is working great. Very secure, good location, wireless charger and provides a little sun visor for the radio.

View attachment 73234

Attachments

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,709 Posts
Got tired of the vent mount phone holder. Cut a piece of ABS black plastic, clipped the phone to it and push it into the front of the clipboard section. This is working great. Very secure, good location, wireless charger and provides a little sun visor for the radio.
Photos, please.

2501 - 2520 of 2549 Posts