Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Final assembly is in Mexico.

Check whether Chrysler will maintain the warranty if you do that ... and you will need a recall clearance letter. Do your research. www.riv.ca

·
Registered
886 Posts
I think someone in another thread already said you loose warranty if you buy in US and take into Canada. it's how they stop everyone living on the boarder from doing it.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
Depending on how close you are to the border it may not make a big difference as you could always go cross border repairing at a U.S. Ram dealer who would be obligated to honor the U.S. warentte, I would think.

·
Registered
86 Posts
When you register a Ram truck in Canada that was purchased in the US, Chrysler Canada voids your warranty completely (also in US).

An equivalent new warranty can be purchased from a private insurance company for about $2500.

Now with the Canadian dollar so much lower then the US dollar it is not a good time to purchase in the US. If you live in the US now is the best time to purchase in Canada.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Mexico is part of the North American free trade treaty, so no extra duty paid for anything build in Mexico.

You'll loose your warranty if you buy your PM in the States. And with the current exchange rate, you wouldn't save much anyways.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks you for all of your posts,

Here is the deal locally: $48010.08

I located one in Quebec, 2014 3500 EXT 159inch.
Cruise control
Mud flaps
3 keys
Power heated/folding mirrors
Wood Floor
220 Amp alternator
Interior Convenience group.

Similar pm in USA. 32000= $37200can $
Fees about $500 at the border (plus the two taxes )
$2500 to buy a warranty
Looks like I could save about $8000, and if I buy an older van where warranty is not an issue save like ten grand
M

And here is the response from Chrysler Canada per the warranty :

Thank you for contacting Chrysler Canada Customer Care.

Chrysler LLC U.S. warranties only cover vehicles if they were built for
sale in the United States and if they remain registered in the U.S.
There is no warranty coverage on the vehicle once it leaves the United
States and is further sold or registered in countries other than the
United States.

Please note Chrysler American warranties do not apply to vehicles
registered in Canada nor does Chrysler Canada provide warranty coverage
for imported vehicles.

Thank you for giving us the opportunity to review this matter with you.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
Please note Chrysler American warranties do not apply to vehicles
registered in Canada nor does Chrysler Canada provide warranty coverage
for imported vehicles.
I am not sure if I understand this one.

Does that mean than my PM is not covered by warranty when I travel in the States? That would be very disturbing for me, and contrary to what my dealer told me.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts
What a bunch of sleaze balls they are! It's one thing to say no warrantee work in Canada if you bought it in the US but to say no warrantee work in the US because you registered it Canada is a disgrace.

I would still buy it in the US and forget the $2500 warrantee. 36k miles is nothing to begin with these days. Very few warrantees are worth the money anyhow unless it comes with the vehicle to begin with. I never buy a third party warrantee on anything but, of course, you have always follow this way of thinking to make it pay in the end. If I added up all the money I've saved on not buying useless warrantees with big deductibles I;m sure I would come out ahead even with a major problem but the first time you buy one you've lost your advantage.

·
Super Moderator
8,987 Posts

Does that mean than my PM is not covered by warranty when I travel in the States? That would be very disturbing for me, and contrary to what my dealer told me.
I don't think so. Mine says USA and Canada and yours most likely says Canada and USA. They only want to protect the Canadian stealerships most likely after all a C$10,000 extra mark up even at todays exchange rates is a pretty good deal for them!

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
I don't think so. Mine says USA and Canada and yours most likely says Canada and USA. They only want to protect the Canadian stealerships most likely after all a C$10,000 extra mark up even at todays exchange rates is a pretty good deal for them!
I just found a pdf file that says that my warranty is honored when I travel in the states.

I guess they meant that the US warranty does not apply. Too bad, USA warranty is 60,000/100,000 miles versus 60,000/100,000 Kilometers in Canada.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Chrysler has always had this policy to protect their dealers and gouge out huge profits, also note the extra shipping costs on an invoice, even if the distance in the USA is greater, the shipping will be less.

Your best bet would be to buy a Ford Transit, they will honor the warranty.

A 50,000 dollar Chrysler product has always been marked up about 10 to 12 thousand above the US price...

Canadians are willing to pay the price, even if the vehicle is made in Canada, imported to a US dealership and sold it will be much less than you would pay in Canada.

GM will honor the warranty after the vehicle is 6 months old...

·
Registered
604 Posts

I think the key word here is "IMPORTED". Traveling across the border is ok, but buying out of the country for use and registration is not...

·
Registered
549 Posts
Thanks you for all of your posts,

Here is the deal locally: $48010.08

I located one in Quebec, 2014 3500 EXT 159inch.
Cruise control
Mud flaps
3 keys
Power heated/folding mirrors
Wood Floor
220 Amp alternator
Interior Convenience group.

Similar pm in USA. 32000= $37200can $
Something is wrong with your numbers.

The "similar" US Promaster 3500 EXT with the options you indicate lists for $39,150.00 US which is $45,433 CDN. That same configuration in Canada is $40,940CDN. When you said the local deal was $48,010.08 that must have included tax. You will still have to pay tax in Canada on a Promaster you buy in the US. Tax is paid based on the location of where the vehicle is registered, not where it is purchased. Also in Canada you pay the Provincial and Federal portions of the tax separately, whereas in the US the Federal Excise tax is built into the price of the item, and we add just the State portion at time of sale.

That being said, some US dealers may discount more than the one dealer you are dealing with, but that doesn't mean that all trucks in the US are cheaper than all trucks in Canada. Usually when you look at all the factors involved, such as purchase price, tax, transportation, import fees, RIV fees, etc. then you really aren't saving enough to make it worth your time.

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
If I compare base price for a 1500 118" WB on the official RAM US and CAN sites:

US: $29,795 (us)
CAN: $31,795 (can)

Converted in US dollars, the base price in Canada, is $27,397, so it's actually cheaper in Canada!!!

Ok, in Québec, we have this 15% huge sale tax, but I think that an American wouldn't have to pay it since he is not a resident.

So, guys , cross the border!

·
Super Moderator
727 Posts
That same configuration in Canada is $40,940CDN. When you said the local deal was $48,010.08 that must have included tax.
So, the total price in Quebec would be:

$40,940 + $2,047 GTS + $4083.77 QTS = $47,070.77

Add $1,000 or so for prep. and delivery and it comes to the $48K mentioned.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts