Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the front bumper...

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is a shackle type thing on the same side in the back. I wonder if they hook vans together on the assembly line?

·
Premium Member
8,845 Posts
Tie down for transport? Pull me out of a sandy wash? Pull KOV out of the snow? It is true the Gasser cannot be flat towed with all four wheels on the ground but the diesel can be and remember this van is diesel only where the parts are manufactured in Italy and is manual or automated manual there too. No Automatic. This attachment will not work for flat towing anyway as a frame bracket would need to be installed behind the bumper and across the vehicle not simply a single tow eye on one side. I think all cars now have just this sort of removable tow eye, at least all mine do.

·
Registered
598 Posts
I thought our vehicles weren't supposed to be towed??
Not over distances, but they can be safely towed very short distances in neutral. Basically they'd be for getting out of the mud or snow, or off the road if the vehicle is disabled for some reason.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also used to winch a disabled vehicle up onto a roll-back truck.

Several years ago I had an accident in a Sprinter resulting in the vehicle ending up straddling a rail of a railroad track paralleling the highway. Two tow trucks -- one lifting by the trailer hitch, the other by the front bumper eye bolt -- were able to take most of the vehicle weight (loaded about 11,000#) and ease it over the rail and off the tracks. At least on the Sprinter the front fitting is very strong.

I don't believe that the eye bolts are used in any way during production or shipping to dealers. Everything is regulated these days and I would guess that these front "towing" points must meet some Federal regulations. Anyone want to research this?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I wonder how much yanking it could withstand trying to extract a stuck van. I would think not much.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,760 Posts
Judging by this video I think it's strong enough,

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was towed on a flatbed and the flatbed driver used this to pull my Promaster onto the bed. He must have towed a Promaster before because he knew exactly where to find it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts