Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm turning my 2014 Ram ProMaster 2500 159 WB into a mobile home and covering everything inside with a radiant heat barrier, sound proofing, insulation and wooden wall panels.

I've already been told not to cover up the air-pressure vents behind the back wheels, and it got me wondering if there's anything else I shouldn't be covering? My theory was anything with a pre-made barrier that allowed air access, but, for example this photo, those grates in the two back corners don't seem to be covering anything in particular and would allow all the heat I'm trying to trap into my van.

Can I cover everything else with insulation aside from the two air-pressure vents behind the tires?

PS - If you want to see my transformation so far, it's in this YouTube video: https://youtu.be/_l3OBZE3prQ

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,816 Posts
I choose not to cover those black grills because there's access to electrical stuff back there, and there's actually another floor vent at the bottom. You could put insulation behind the covers--if I were doing that, I'd cover the insulation with a black fabric for looks.

Don't go anal on insulation. Realistically, no matter what you do, you've still got cab, etc. For thermal insulation, the ceiling is most critical--you've got a good start with a white van. Even at your height, you have room for a solid 2" up there. For noise insulation, the wheel wells are most critical.

I get the impression you are coming at this project from a camper's perspective, which is good. You don't need a bunch of frills to make this steel tent comfortable.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts