Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to order new brake pads for my 2014 1500 pm. It asks me if I have standard duty or heavy duty brakes. How do I determine that?

Thanks
Rod

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
The only safe way is to take a set of pads off and match it up at the parts store. Having said that - 1500's may not have the heavy duty brakes but I really don't know.

You would probably want to replace the rotors at he same time, btw.

·
Registered
625 Posts
The only safe way is to take a set of pads off and match it up at the parts store.
That's always a fun quandary. Take the part with you to get a match, or not take the part out until you have a replacement. Gets to be more fun the older and more oddball the vehicle is.

·
Registered
2014 Ram Promaster 2500 159" diesel
1,489 Posts
Promasters I believe only come with heavy duty front brakes. W/O heavy duty is listed but discontinued or grayed out at dealer sites. Put your vin in here and see what comes up. https://moparonlineparts.com/
I would look else where for the parts though $$$$$$. After market brakes will come in every type you want.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I went to Oreilly to get my pads, and they only show one kind for my 2014 so I figured I was good to go. Fronts fit perfect, rears were way too big. Bought a set for a 2015 and they were correct! Strange.

·
Registered
810 Posts
So I went to Oreilly to get my pads, and they only show one kind for my 2014 so I figured I was good to go. Fronts fit perfect, rears were way too big. Bought a set for a 2015 and they were correct! Strange.
Did the Oreilly fronts have the sensor wire and plug?
Plus how much $$$
Can you get the part numbers off the box for the fronts and rears? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
10,668 Posts
The Wagners RD posted (similar number) are $59 inc shipping from Amazon. No deals at Orilleys or any of the other brick and mortar auto parts stores. I don't even bother with them unless I need it yesterday! They are better the the dealers, of course, but that's no surprise. Lots of online suppliers to choose from.

·
Premium Member
8,837 Posts
Yes I quoted an on-line price but often I do buy local and I want to so they will be there. I get a substantial discount due to having been in the mechanics business and kept accounts at NAPA, Bonds (a local supplier) and a few others. If I go into O’Reilly I get nada. When the rest make me pay retail I will order, I guess. For brakes there are considerable variations in pricing and I have purchased up and down the range. I got skunked once on some “too cheap to believe” pads for my former Mazda protege (3) but I became convinced price doesn’t make much difference. At the counter I say “Hey tell me you’ve got cheaper pads than that for this $*^%*&#” and they always seem to and I seem to still get good pads. Who knows? Wagners have always been good, O’Reilly should carry them BTW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts