Ram Promaster Forum banner
81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,414 Posts
No matter how Ram and some owners justify the automatic downshifts on downhills, it
Is an insult
That we do not have control as drivers. What an annoying insult. Does anyone know if the new transmission on the 2022 version is better?
Strangely enough after driving two Promasters as my daily drivers for over 7 years this has never even been a "problem" I never even give a second thought about it as a matter of fact. I let the transmission do the job it was designed to and, quite frankly, I’m hardly aware of what gear it’s in much less care!

·
Registered
2014 159" High Top ecodiesel
7 Posts
Hi,
I have to say I don't have problems with most of the things people have brought up. Certainly room for improvement in a few areas, but nothing major for me.

One thing that does bother me is that we made sure that we got a van with windows in the back doors and that nothing in our interior blocked the rear view mirrors view out the back - so we could have a normal rear view mirror view. But, the solid strip between the two windows is so wide that it blocks the the most important part of the rear view mirror view. You can hide a whole semi truck in that blocked area.
Luckily the side mirrors are very good, so its not really a safety issue - just an inconvenience.

Gary

I have no back door windows, so, here is what I did: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0895NMDKT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I can now see the past... (oh, and it records it also)

·
Registered
2014 159" High Top ecodiesel
7 Posts
I have the vents, but the slider displaces far more air volume than the vents can handle.
The easiest way to close the slider is to simply open the passenger door (if that is the side of your slider), and it takes very little effort at all to close the slider properly.

·
Premium Member
2016 3500 ext-ht
719 Posts
I absolutely hate the fact that if I turn off the air conditioning, then when I turn it back on, it doesn't return to its previous state, it defaults back to "Vent" mode and I have to punch the temperature button to reactivate the air conditioning. Why, why, why? Totally pointless.

My other pet peeve is the clipboard, but it's a minor one. It's pointless, but it doesn't make me angry, I'm just sad that they couldn't have come up with something better.

Another pet peeve is that place where you plug in a memory stick so the stereo can play it, it's buried so far back in that little cubby that it's very difficult to use.

So what are YOUR pet peeves?
Terrible dealer service/warranty follow-through compounded by slow service by STAR and at times the independent inspector when RAM decides an inspection of the issue is required.

A vehicle should not have to spend weeks/sometimes months on their lot before they follow thru on their warranty obligations.

·
Registered
16 Posts
And while I'm thinking about it - headlights. Someone in another thread called them 'candles'. Exactly. I just yesterday switched to LEDs and am hoping/expecting great things. Leaving soon on a cross country round trip. Now I can safely drive at night!
I need to change to LEDs. Did you just change to led bulbs, or did you have to make changes in the bulb connectors? What bulbs did you use?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Wish there was a way to keep the outside lights from flashing when I'm inside at night and lock the doors.
I find the driver's seat to be very comfortable on long trips.
Wish the rear view camera screen was larger and with better lighting, but glad to have it.
Overall, I love my 2017 PM.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Our 2021 has a video rear-view mirror which we hadn't anticipated (or even heard of ) but it is amazing. We don't even need rear door windows.
Rear door windows come in handy, though, for flow-through ventilation while sleeping during the hot months. 😉

·
Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
1,755 Posts
Rear door windows come in handy, though, for flow-through ventilation while sleeping during the hot months. 😉
That'd be only for aftermarket ones that open. The stock ones are fixed. That said, I like being able to peer out of mine when I hear noises at night.

And until I got one of those digital rearview "mirror" dashcams (Wolfbox), I found them indispensable for seeing what's behind me when driving.

·
Registered
8 Posts
When switching the A/C or heat to the floor vent position, I don't know where that air is directed but I can barely notice it blowing down there.
Driving around in the summer in AZ there is A LOT of heat down around the floor and it would be nice if the floor position or mix position for the A/C could actually cool that area down.

Surprised to not see any other complaints about this. Originally I thought my van had a problem but a friend just bought a brand new Promaster and it has the same issue.

Nothing wrong with a thread like this. It's how things get fixed.

I have been messing with the floor ventilation / redirection and will share my fix for anyone that cares.
I think I've solved it with a 3" clothes dryer vent and a little section of aluminum flex tube. At least for the drivers side.

·
Registered
426 Posts
That'd be only for aftermarket ones that open. The stock ones are fixed. That said, I like being able to peer out of mine when I hear noises at night.
Exactly. We got a couple of CRLs that open up like sash windows, just enough to get a nice breeze going in conjunction with the fan.

·
Registered
Ex-Amazon 2019 PM 2500 159" high roof in KS
341 Posts
Hold the remote in front of your forehead to gain extra range.
Yes it really works!
I know, but it looks so goofy! :p

Does anyone know where the antenna for the remote is? @MtBiker?

I have been peeved by the fact that the DRL (daytime running lights, Canadian PMs) can't be turned off (can AlfaODB do this?). I have had to, on numerous occasions, fire up the van for various reasons and would have liked to have the PM idle inconspicuously. But for Canadian PMs, it's either the DRLs would be on or (worse) the full set of headlights/tailights/marker lights on).
BCM menu:
Product Font Rectangle Material property Screenshot

So that short range is normal? Do you also have to try a few times often? And wait for the flashing to stop after unlocking the front before unlocking the rear?
Yep. Sucks.

How? I found the setting to kill the "Key Left In Ignition" ding, but not the seatbelt one.

TIA
Instrument menu:
Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
5,378 Posts

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
Piling on that UConnect sucks -- when you shut your rig down and then fire it up, why does it have to go through its gyrations again and ask you to "accept" things when the last thing you were listening to was not FM, but the Bluetooth from your phone that's still connected.... Good grief RAM, what about some 21st Century technology!

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
462 Posts
Piling on that UConnect sucks -- when you shut your rig down and then fire it up, why does it have to go through its gyrations again and ask you to "accept" things when the last thing you were listening to was not FM, but the Bluetooth from your phone that's still connected.... Good grief RAM, what about some 21st Century technology!
For the same reason we don't get the clipboard in the US version - because if we are screwing around with the radio rather than driving and Something Bad Happens and there wasn't that warning, we might be able to sue because we didn't realize that futzing around with our playlists rather than paying attention to our driving was a bad idea.

·
Registered
2016 136WB low roof diesel, converted to an RV by Sportsmobile, TX
462 Posts
On the Bluetooth front: Not so much a gripe specific to the Promaster, but to Bluetooth in car stereos in general: if my phone starts sending Bluetooth audio to the radio, it should play that to the speakers, no matter what mode the radio is in. As it stands, having to switch to Bluetooth mode to hear the audio means that I cannot use the stereo to play notifications from mapping software while playing FM or USB audio.

·
Registered
2021, 159, HR
27 Posts
Hi,
I have to say I don't have problems with most of the things people have brought up. Certainly room for improvement in a few areas, but nothing major for me.

One thing that does bother me is that we made sure that we got a van with windows in the back doors and that nothing in our interior blocked the rear view mirrors view out the back - so we could have a normal rear view mirror view. But, the solid strip between the two windows is so wide that it blocks the the most important part of the rear view mirror view. You can hide a whole semi truck in that blocked area.
Luckily the side mirrors are very good, so its not really a safety issue - just an inconvenience.

Gary
LOL--Same issue with the center panel blocking rear view. But I thought it was because I added after market Motion windows that don't occupy the full cut out area; didn't realize it was still a problem with factory-installed windows. Makes me feel better: misery loves company? Not REALLY misery, not a big problem, but unobstructed rear view is definitely a nice-to-have.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had read that the height of the back opening was tall enough for me to easily clear so I didn't pay much attention to those things dangling down well into the "clearance height". Fortunately I was hanging onto something or I would have fallen out.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts