Ram Promaster Forum banner
41 - 60 of 101 Posts

Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
I have been peeved by the fact that the DRL (daytime running lights, Canadian PMs) can't be turned off (can AlfaODB do this?). I have had to, on numerous occasions, fire up the van for various reasons and would have liked to have the PM idle inconspicuously. But for Canadian PMs, it's either the DRLs would be on or (worse) the full set of headlights/tailights/marker lights on).
This is a valid peeve , DRL with no option to turn off denies the option to work /camp in stealth mode . For me there are locations /situations at work being seen could possibly lead to a good old fashioned beating 馃榿

Reactions: travelvanvan

Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
The cruise control is terrible
Yes! They could have made it a different shape than the turn signal stalk like one of my other cars does. But no...
Yeah, at first I was grabbing the cruise lever to signal turns but got used to it. Tilting the wheel back helped too. Since it's the only vehicle I drive (besides my wife's Forester once in awhile) everything feels normal to me now and I feel very comfortable with all the controls, sitting position, etc. No complaints.
This is the thing. Car designers somehow don't realize that people might actually have more than 1 car, and sometimes, considerably more. And it appears completely random how they sprinkle controls around.

And it's not just the controls around the wheel. Think about all the ways you open the hood on the various cars you've had over the years!

Registered
I have been peeved by the fact that the DRL (daytime running lights, Canadian PMs) can't be turned off (can AlfaODB do this?).
I'm not sure if they can be shutoff through the computer, but worst case scenario you could try cutting the wires to the DLR bulbs. In theory that should work, and if it doesn't you could always just splice them back together.

Premium Member
2018 159 High Roof gas, BC, Canada
I'm not sure if they can be shutoff through the computer, but worst case scenario you could try cutting the wires to the DLR bulbs. In theory that should work, and if it doesn't you could always just splice them back together.
Barring something simple like AlfaODB, I am contemplating putting them on a switch (cutting wires and splicing in a switch). I actually don't mind DRLs. But I do want the ability to run the engine without being too overt about it.

I'm wondering if the computer will notice and complain about it.

Registered
I have been peeved by the fact that the DRL (daytime running lights, Canadian PMs) can't be turned off (can AlfaODB do this?). I have had to, on numerous occasions, fire up the van for various reasons and would have liked to have the PM idle inconspicuously. But for Canadian PMs, it's either the DRLs would be on or (worse) the full set of headlights/tailights/marker lights on).
My 2014 has DRL's that can be turned off through the Uconnect Radio Menus. I know that Canada requires DRL's but do the Canadian PM's not have the option in the radio?

Registered
2019 1500 136 HR in CA
1. Weirdly low cupholders
2. Lack of armrest on passenger seat
3. Squishy spot between seats
4. Cruise control - controls and the downhill experience
5. Terrible radio
6. Door locks

Registered
2019 159 High Top - White, of course!
The driving ergonomics were designed by a sadist.

The radio is comically terrible.

The cruise control does suck.

Key fob with a 14 inch range? Really?

FCA I think you can do better than this....

Registered
2017 - 2500 159
The driving ergonomics were designed by a sadist.

The radio is comically terrible.

The cruise control does suck.

Key fob with a 14 inch range? Really?

FCA I think you can do better than this....
What's wrong with the radio? Seems fine to me after replacing the speakers and adding amps. I don't listen to radio anyway though.

Also don't see what people have against the cruise control. It's easy to use and works well. Every vehicle I've ever driven had different controls, so "the controls are different" isn't really a valid complaint imo.

Registered
What's wrong with the radio? Seems fine to me after replacing the speakers and adding amps. I don't listen to radio anyway though.

Also don't see what people have against the cruise control. It's easy to use and works well. Every vehicle I've ever driven had different controls, so "the controls are different" isn't really a valid complaint imo.
The cruise works, but I have to disagree with the lousy controls not being a valid complaint. The problem I have is that 20+ years ago I drove a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan that had an awesome cruise control system! It had 3 or 4 buttons on the steering wheel and you pushed one to turn cruise on/off/set and the others to go faster or slower. It was easy to use and always worked! They made this decades ago, so I can't figure out why FCA abandoned that system? 馃槙 Instead we have a stalk that's easy to confuse with the turn signal, doesn't perform very well and even after having the van for years I still occasionally screw up using it.

For me the radio is okay, but mine is glitchy. Mine freezes up on occasion so that the stations will turn, but the display won't indicate the change. I have to turn the ignition on/off to make it work again. That may just be an XM radio issue as that's all I ever use on it as the FM reception is quite poor.

All that said, I want to reiterate that small quirks aside I do really like this van! As others have said, these are very small issues and that's the strange thing. FCA could very easily fix the common issues, but for some reason they have chosen not to.

Registered
2014 136鈥 HR
FCA could very easily fix the common issues, but for some reason they have chosen not to.
Everybody needs something to complain about, so they give us little stuff.

MrNomer is still learning how to dim the lights without turning the turn signal on.

Registered
2019 118" Silver
The cruise works, but I have to disagree with the lousy controls not being a valid complaint. The problem I have is that 20+ years ago I drove a 1996 Dodge Grand Caravan that had an awesome cruise control system! It had 3 or 4 buttons on the steering wheel and you pushed one to turn cruise on/off/set and the others to go faster or slower. It was easy to use and always worked! They made this decades ago, so I can't figure out why FCA abandoned that system? 馃槙 Instead we have a stalk that's easy to confuse with the turn signal, doesn't perform very well and even after having the van for years I still occasionally screw up using it.
FCA wasn't around 20 years ago. Other than the drivetrain it's a Fiat, and Fiat only bought the controlling shares of Chrysler in 2014, not back when you had your Dodge. It's their design and the van has won awards across Europe as a cargo/utility vehicle. It's not a passenger vehicle. Because some 'spoiled Americans' ;) don't seem to be able to get used to it is not their problem. My cruise works great, as good as the Chevys, Hondas, Toyotas and Subarus I've had over the years, even better than some of those. If it bothers you and others that much then sell it and buy a Ford, then you can start an even bigger list of issues.

Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
it is what it is
I like all the mods the Europeans have done.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tail & brake light Plant

for the go-fast crowd
Wheel Tire Car Automotive parking light Land vehicle

Registered
2019 Promaster 3500 Silver high top 159"
The excessively short range of the key fob to lock/unlock doors. I came from an aftermarket fob that could start my car from hundreds of yards away, and it was a two way device. I realize that had to be charged, but come on!

AlfaOBD can fix that!
How? I found the setting to kill the "Key Left In Ignition" ding, but not the seatbelt one.

TIA

Super Moderator
Everybody needs something to complain about, so they give us little stuff.

MrNomer is still learning how to dim the lights without turning the turn signal on.
It鈥檚 impossible! They did seem to improve it a bit however, my 鈥20 only turns the turn signals on occasionally when dimming the lights!

Registered
Love my van, but the standard cruise control needs to be upgraded to adaptive cruise control. Absolutely no comparison between the two - much less fatigue after a long day of driving if you don't have to worry about the distance between you and the car in front of you.

And cup holders - 'nuf said.

Registered
And while I'm thinking about it - headlights. Someone in another thread called them 'candles'. Exactly. I just yesterday switched to LEDs and am hoping/expecting great things. Leaving soon on a cross country round trip. Now I can safely drive at night!

Registered
And while I'm thinking about it - headlights. Someone in another thread called them 'candles'. Exactly. I just yesterday switched to LEDs and am hoping/expecting great things. Leaving soon on a cross country round trip. Now I can safely drive at night!
too many dead bambi's in va. & penn. ....
the jack rabbits in Utah are huge
No night driving for me.....ive only hit one when I had to work

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Super Moderator
2018 136" HR
How? I found the setting to kill the "Key Left In Ignition" ding, but not the seatbelt one.

TIA
its under
"Instrument Panel" -> need the yellow cable
click on car symbol
Select "seat Belt alarm disable"

I think that is how you disable it, i know i have mine disable with the alfaOBD app but that was a long time ago.

Registered
Most of the little things I can live with. Water leakage on the engine really annoys me. But even that makes more sense in cargo/delivery van context, if it continually gets evaporated by everyday use. I also hate the cup holders, but I got rid of them first thing. We much prefer the floor/foot space.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts