Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to glue this vinyl edging to my vinyl floor by the side and rear doors. My plan is to apply the adhesive to the top sections so that the floor will continue to float. What sort of adhesive would any of you recommend?
20200221_070900.jpg

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
You could use cove base adhesive (made for vinyl), liquid nails, etc.
Although, the VHB tape would work well and be a lot less messy, easier to manage.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Lots of things would work, but 3m vhb won't leave a mess. I love this stuff for that reason. I don't think it is any stronger than many alternatives, but it doesn't make a mess and I don't have to worry about the seal on the tube drying out.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I am also a fan of VHB. But make sure it sticks to the vinyl molding first. I have come across some soft plastics that have a minor greasy feel that the VHB does not stick to well.

If it does not stick well, you carefully mask the floor right along the edge of the molding, then use some adhesive under the molding without worrying about the mess.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I agree with the adhesive or even strong glue, but you could always use nails that wouldn't go into the metal floor. I bought a metal step trim for my side and rear doors and it came with those so I just used them. It was 12' from HD and it was enough for both doors. My 1" subfloor floats too, and I think the nails were 1" as well.
20191208_093219.jpg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Nothing wrong with nails or screws to be sure, I generally use both because that is my personality. It is only in the last few years I have become comfortable with adhesives alone (either vhb type or liquid type)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ended up using VHB tape, and it is holding-up great plus a no mess install. Thanks for the tip; I would have never considered using VHB.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts