Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys.

T MAC here.
So last week I purchased a used 2019 Promaster 2500 to convert into a camper van. 17,500 miles on the odometer. Carfax says no accidents or flood issues.
It was a rental van in it's first life so it had lots of scuffs on the floor and some bare metal.
I cleaned the floor up, sanded and primed the bare areas even thou I would be putting a floor down over it.
I did this to prevent any possible rust in the future.
Just before I started to paint the white coat, I took out those little black plastic triangles that cover those holes at the base of the floor out.
Out of curiosity, I looked down inside the area where I am pointing to see if any wiring ran in that channel.
This is right behind the drivers seat.
I'm glad I did this because I discovered wet sand down in this cavity.
I stuck a Gopro down in the hole and took a photo to see if I could determine where the sand was entering the area from.
I am puzzled because I can't make sense of it, especially where the red circle is...Dirt is up on top of the body putty completely up and away from any holes.
The dirt that looks like it's coming out of the hole on the right was pushed in there when I initially stuck my hand down there and scooped the sand with my finger.
Have any of you seen this before or have any clue as to where this dirt could be coming from?
I did see the drain plug that is just out of view at the bottom of the photo seemed a little loose but I can't imagine that much dirt coming up through it.
I checked the rest of those cavities in the van and this was the only place this occurred.

Thanks in advance for and help!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,395 Posts
I’d guess someone bought a few bags ov sand an onthe way home one slid off and ripped open and some got in the ribs. Open the plugs and wash out the scupper and leave the plastic triangles off until it dries. If the sand tastes like salt they spilled or shoveled winter sand in there and it got down the hole. If so wash it three times and spray in some oil from a spray can. Penetrating oil is fine but not WD40 as it has almost no oil in it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
As RD said someone could have hauled sand in the back, or it could have just as easily blown up from the road. Those areas are not totally sealed from the outside and having lived on a dirt road some of those inner spaces on my vans would literally fill with sand and dirt from the road.

Looking at the picture there's no sign of rust or saltwater, so honestly I would not worry about it one bit. Sounds odd, but a quick taste and make sure it's not salty, otherwise just vacuum it out and you're good to go. The sheet metal on the PM is treated to prevent rust, and even if the paint comes off it holds up extremely well! IMO unless they're exposed to saltwater, the odds of a PM having any serious rust issues while the van is still on the road is very slim.

·
Registered
3,037 Posts
For a sanity check I'd check below the other triangles.
- If there is no sand hiding in any of the cavities underneath I'd guess someone hauled some sand, from the pics it looks like fine play sand.
- Assume the pinch welds near the rear wheels will leak water that is being slung from the tires.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys. I did pull off all the other plastic triangles and didn't see sand anywhere else. My biggest fear at the moment of discovery was, Oh ****...I've got a flood vehicle.
It just really concerned me because I will be building a wet bath in that spot and will not be able to access and check that area in the future.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I agree with previous posters.
The sand is too clean to be coming from outside and flooding would probably spread it everywhere.

On other hand it's not uncommon for promasters to "suck in" mud/water from outside through the seams and drain plugs in rocker panels. Usually the wet mess collects near the front of rear wheel wells but I would inspect your van very closely nonetheless.

To check if your van is affected, drive for 10 minutes on wet road (preferably during rain) and after that inspect the rocker panels from inside. If you see minor amount of water that's normal but if you see mud or puddles, you might have a problem.
But there is no reason to worry. From what I've seen, at least 1/3 of Promasters have that issue but I haven't heard of any implications. Promasters are built from galvanized steel, plated with heavy duty primer and the body of the van is naturally well ventilated.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Mine van was a rental too, and i found 1/2" of dirt inside the the black covers right underneath the seatbelt. You might want to remove those and see what you find in there. I'm sure people use it to haul dirt and gravel.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts