Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and went to the Toronto RV show yesterday to get some ideas for layouts for our build. Was kind of disappointed in the amount of Campervans and related parts. There were lots of trailers, buses, and a few Sprinter and PM based vans. I saw the Hymer Activ and from what I've seen online it looked to be very high quality. As I looked around the Hymer with my tape measure, the sales rep asked if I needed help, when I said no thanks I'm just looking for some ideas for my PM camper build he just said, "well good luck with that". His tone made me happy that we are doing this ourselves, our way. I felt really out of place at this show, but now I'm more motivated to build this my own way.

·
Registered
468 Posts
doing it yourself you get everything the way you want it and don't have to pay for extra stuff you don't want! Good luck your gonna love it!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Poof and I did some little tasks for the PM yesterday and she asked how I thought we were doing (referencing insulation since we were fishing Thinsulate into some tight spots). My response was that our campervan was better insulated than the corresponding Winnebago one could buy off the lot.
I know it's a pain sometimes but as MsNomer termed this an adult Pinewood Derby where in the end you have a 100% customized van with or without all the fluff you want.
Even better is an understanding of all the parts and pieces since invariably you had your hands on all of them as they were going in.
Another morsel is in our case learning a new language and trying to apply it.

·
Registered
2014 136” HR
5,679 Posts
This is why I am not ready for the building process to end. The building process itself is fun and educational. It is not a chore to be endured.

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,654 Posts
This is why I am not ready for the building process to end. The building process itself is fun and educational. It is not a chore to be endured.
I agree. I think I'm dragging my feet a bit on "finishing" so I can continue to work on it! Plus, the cold winter and no garage big enough has something to do with it. ;)

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
I saw the Hymer Activ and from what I've seen online it looked to be very high quality.
I'm not surprised. We've rented several RVs in Europe and Hymer is still our favorite. It's too bad they dropped their corporate rental program. We've driven mostly Fiat Ducatos over there.

doing it yourself you get everything the way you want it and don't have to pay for extra stuff you don't want! Good luck your gonna love it!
Ditto that. We built 2 houses over the years for the same reason. Spend money on your own priorities, not someone else's! And we're applying that same philosophy to our first RV build.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts