Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just turned 500 miles last night, was really loving this thing and counting my blessing that after the initial issues that the dealer fixed I was one of the lucky ones...

Today, as I was leaving the lunch spot, the van beeps and says "Service the DEF" and I have the CEL light on.

I have a bluetooth ODBII hooked up, so I scanned the codes and get P203A and P203D, Powertrain, No other info is available and Google has nothing for either of those errors on the Ram.

UGH...

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the DEF tank full or empty?

If it's empty, fill it up!
I'm "assuming" the dealer filled it up last week when they replaced the tank. The van only has 680 miles on it now. They pulled a new tank off a 2016 last week and put it on mine before I took delivery.

Is there any way to determine the fill level?

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yes add DEF. If they put the other tank in partially full you may have transferred an issue. Take it in and insist they fill it and reset the light. Many have never seen the code again. Don't assume they thought this through. Don't Panic.

Reactions: Quest4Adv

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes add DEF. If they put the other tank in partially full you may have transferred an issue. Take it in and insist they fill it and reset the light. Many have never seen the code again. Don't assume they thought this through. Don't Panic.
Thanks

The light went out earlier, then the message "Service DEF" popped up again on the way home tonight.

I also think I went through a Regen. Heard a really loud fan sound(Wife said it was like a jet or siren), the fuel range went from 300 miles to 168 then recovered somewhat as we went along. All new stuff to me!!!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Yup you been regened. The DEF light may go off on its own and stay off but filling the DEF tank with FRESH DEF is your best option. Let them clear the code but I would not let them change any component until the computer has the most recent flash which was suggested to you earlier and should have been done. Best

·
Registered
167 Posts
Folks KEEP your empty DEF container and a buy-recipt too.
I did have DEF light too after refilling about 1/2 of DEF tank.
After showing (the ABOVE) to Mr.Dealer everything was done by warranty

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yup you been regened. The DEF light may go off on its own and stay off but filling the DEF tank with FRESH DEF is your best option. Let them clear the code but I would not let them change any component until the computer has the most recent flash which was suggested to you earlier and should have been done. Best
Stopped and picked up a 2.5 gallon jug of DEF this morning and it took less than 1/2 gallon to top it off so I know it's not empty. Finally got the "Speed Restricted" message on the way home. Calling my local dealer today and see if when I can get it in.

Oh the joy :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow, I'm starting to see why some others on here gave up. I might end up regretting this purchase after all. Between all the CEL's and when I called my local dealer they said they have one PM tech and he couldn't see it until next Wednesday. I asked about the loaner since I have the Business Link and she said because they work on it until next Wed I would have to pay for the "loaner" until they get to it. WTF???

Calling the original selling dealer and see what they have to say, then I guess it's open a case with FCA.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WAIT, there is hope....I called the selling dealer(107 miles away). Told the commercial sales guy the story, he said hold on. Just called back and they have a porter bringing me a Jeep to drive while they work on my PM.

Things are looking up!!!

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
The fact the tank was full removes the possibility the DEF was just a bit OFF. Keep tabs on them to find out what they do and let us know. I believe this is the van you bought that had set and they had the DEF warning and CEL before you got it and that prompted the tank replacement. We had a poster who had the DEF pump (injector?) changed. Was that you? If this is related to bad DEF no saying what else it might be. Most cures have been computer updates! I am heartened the dealer is responding.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The fact the tank was full removes the possibility the DEF was just a bit OFF. Keep tabs on them to find out what they do and let us know. I believe this is the van you bought that had set and they had the DEF warning and CEL before you got it and that prompted the tank replacement. We had a poster who had the DEF pump (injector?) changed. Was that you? If this is related to bad DEF no saying what else it might be. Most cures have been computer updates! I am heartened the dealer is responding.
There were some CEL's when I bought it, and they did replace the DEF tank with one off a 2016 on the lot. They didn't replace the DEF pump though (That I'm aware of, but I'll find out for sure) I have a list of some smaller issues I'll be having them look at. I was kinda surprised they jumped right on it. Hope it works out in the end.

·
Registered
114 Posts
P203A is "Reductant Level Sensor Circuit" and P203D is "Reductant Level Sensor Circuit High". It looks like the DEF level sensor output is out of its normal range.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
P203A is "Reductant Level Sensor Circuit" and P203D is "Reductant Level Sensor Circuit High". It looks like the DEF level sensor output is out of its normal range.
Thanks, where did you find that? When I googled those codes I got some injector errors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do the Ram truck diesels have the same frequency and these types of problems
with the engine/powertrain...
This stuff has been around for years now, it should not be this difficult for them.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Quest4adv,
Try http://www.totalcardiagnostics.com/...of-obd-codes-generic-obd2-obdii--manufacturer

Proman, This was a van made in late 2014 or early in 2015 I believe, and a small percentage of those had reported code issues, fixed mostly by computer flashes. Very few were "serious" issues but the dealers may have stalled for weeks or the technicians bungled the "fix" Since that time current 3.0l diesels have been remarkably trouble free if reporting here is an indication. I wouldn't condemn them- just remember this engine is new to this market, had to be reengineered to emission requirements here and FCA seems to have gotten it right in well under a year of "Beta" testing. Those other engines are different and may have different components.

·
Registered
91 Posts
a jeep for a van, not comparable in my opinion. I am just waiting it out at the moment, dealer has had it 23 days and counting. I doubt I would do it again, my 99 suburban with 137k on the clock is more reliable.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Man it seems the diesels are having a rough go! I have been lucky with my gas but have run into some Business Link issues with getting a loaner while they have my Pm in for service. Best of luck on the service.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Man it seems the diesels are having a rough go! I have been lucky with my gas but have run into some Business Link issues with getting a loaner while they have my Pm in for service. Best of luck on the service.
Yeah, I kinda knew that going in, but I was willing to take a chance. I really love the thing!
My dealer is down in Fruitland Park, I'm in St Johns County. OP CDR was that one that told me no on the loaner and couldn't see me until next week. My dealer has really stepped up so, crossing my fingers....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts