Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I still feel compelled to mention it here.

Just bought a 'new to me' car this week, should be replacing my previous daily driver ('98 Audi A4 Avant). And I got nearly the polar opposite of the PM diesel, at least in regards to how it drives.

Picked up a '13 Chevy Volt earlier this week.

My main ride is now an electric vehicle. (ok, yes it basically has an onboard gas generator too) It is eerily, yet wonderfully, quiet and smooth on acceleration. Its no fast sports car, but the torque and acceleration in the sub-40mph range is right there, right now. Makes for great fun around town. Yet I'm also getting a bit over 30 miles on electric use only, should pick up a bit more as the temps warm up. And its great to not be concerned about electric range, the gas engine just turns on when its needed.

Its been a week with the Volt, and a couple weeks since I've driven BoB. Going to be interesting to drive the PM again. I expect that I'll still really enjoy the rattling, noisy diesel and its herky-jerky shifting, but its going to be from a different perspective now.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I also feel compelled to ask why? The volt is a joke of an electric car. If you want a true all electric car the Nissan Leaf gets almost a 100 miles on a single charge without any auxiliary gas engine.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Why would you say that? The Volt is a very nice car with great driving dynamics and handling! The Leaf is kind of a cheap looking econobox that drives like a toaster. I doubt you've looked at a Volt...

·
Registered
2014-159 HR in CT
3,709 Posts
Why would you say that? The Volt is a very nice car with great driving dynamics and handling! The Leaf is kind of a cheap looking econobox that drives like a toaster. I doubt you've looked at a Volt...
I agree, the Volt is a nice car (with a built in backup plan). I think the look and feel is better than the Leaf or Prius.

Looking forward to the all electric Bolt!

zxzxxzzyzyyzz, enjoy it!
Ed

·
Registered
338 Posts
Wrong! My neighbor has one. If your want a car the has great driving dynamics and handling get a BMW or equivalent. My point is, as far as the electric car part is concerned it's a joke.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Wrong! My neighbor has one. If your want a car the has great driving dynamics and handling get a BMW or equivalent. My point is, as far as the electric car part is concerned it's a joke.
Geez man, lighten up. I don't see the reasoning behind attacking someone else's choice of a vehicle using random nonsense as the reasoning.

Sure, the Leaf goes 100 miles on a charge. That's a joke compared to a Tesla, but for some people 100 miles is enough. Of course if you have to go somewhere 51 miles away then you can't turn around and come home. You need to plug into someones else's outlet and charge it for 10-12 hours at 110V before you come home. That's not always convenient. If you live in the city where all your round trips are within 100 miles, great. If you have to travel 101 miles then the Leaf is not an option. A Volt can be driven across the country.

Electric Hybrids are quite appealing to those of us who don't live within the city and need to travel 51 miles or more to go somewhere.

Having driven a Tesla, I'd love to see what Elon Musk could do with a Promaster. Imagine the very low center of gravity with the entire floor being batteries. Given the square footage of the Promaster floor versus the Tesla floor, you've got room for twice as many batteries. Design it for less power than a Tesla ( 0-60 in 3 seconds is fun, but not required) and for greater range and you'd have a 500 mile Promaster.

I'd be really interested in that setup. If it had a 3 cylinder diesel to recharge on the fly it would be awesome!

·
Registered
473 Posts
I also feel compelled to ask why? The volt is a joke of an electric car. If you want a true all electric car the Nissan Leaf gets almost a 100 miles on a single charge without any auxiliary gas engine.
The I3 is a goofy looking clown car! And it does not handle very well at all! I was at a meeting of electric car enthusiasts last month and about half of them had an I3 and their biggest complaint was the handling was poor...and second was how it looked. Their were a few Teslas there and they loved them. The Volts had s very good reputation there as well.

·
Registered
99 Posts

I'm sorry, but your above post is just in bad taste and is uncalled for.:rolleyes: Perhaps Zyzzyx has plans to drive his Volt more than 100 miles sometimes. In that case the Leaf would be the ultimate POS as he would be left standing on the side of the road in the Nissan or the BMW! >:D

The Volt is the ONLY electric vehicle that it allows the owner to use it both as a local commuter in full electric and for long distance trips. It's also ideally suited for those in cold climates where the present day full electrics quickly run into major issues.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The volts a great car that's why the government had to pay people to buy them with huge tax payer incentives. I guess I am the only one in this thread so far that thinks we should let winners be winners and not give participation trophy's to everybody.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Exactly because so few people are willing to buy them without bribery.
Don't kid yourself. There have been tax incentives on gasoline and diesel powered vehicles as well. Without government intervention the Big Three of Ford, Chrysler and GM wouldn't be around today. And before someone corrects me about Ford not taking any of the TARP funds, I know they didn't. But they did take almost $2 Billion more than Chrysler did in funds from the Term Asset-Backed Securities Loan Facility. It all happened at the same time, but their share wasn't seen as "Bailout" money like it was for Chrysler ($4 Billion) and GM ($13.4 Billion) . Ford got $5.9 Billion from TALF fund instead of TARP funds.

I've driven the Tesla, and if the US could get a charging network in place that is even a fraction of the network for gas stations, gas motors would disappear.

A friend in Southern California retired and did a clockwise loop around the US. When he got to my place in TN he had 8,400 miles done on this trip so far. He had to plan acfordingly to always make sure there was a charging station along the way, and that did require him to make a few changes to his route, but once the charging stations are more prevalent electric cars will become a lot more popular.

Based on the going rate of electricity here in East TN, when you look at the cost to charge a Tesla compared to filling a BMW 5 series with gas for comparable range, size, performance, luxury, etc. the cost per gallon of premium fuel would have to be less than 42 cents per gallon to for the BMW to be comparable in fuel costs to a Tesla.

I'm curious... which all electric and/or electric/hybrid vehicles have you driven to use as your basis for your opinion?

·
Registered
338 Posts
My opinion? It's fact dude that very, very few people buy these things period. Incentives? the cost of incentives if off the charts when compared to the cost up front of the vehicle. I don't have to drive one to come to that conclusion. Yep the cost per mile would be cheaper until you have to replace the batteries.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Curious to know GapRunr, if electric cars are so great why don't you own one?
The good electric cars are all high end vehicles, like the Tesla. The power delivery of an electric motor is phenomenal, so it makes sense for a manufacturer like Tesla to go after that market. A Tesla S cost about the same as a comparable luxury performance car. As the popularity grows, the costs will come down and there will be more entry level and mid level cars available. At that point in time I'll be very interested. I'm not in the market for a $70,000 BMW, Audi, or Tesla. It's just not in my range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wife owns a 2014 Volt and it is a phenomenal car. I drive it every chance I get . Handles awsome because of the low center of gravity from the battery pack. No range anxiety as you can use up all the battery and not worry about being stuck on the side of the road. Ask a leaf owner about!
In the summer we usually get close to 50 miles on a charge if local roads less on highway. Winter averages in the high twentys.
My wife hates to go to the gas station and now all she has to do is plug in and done. Usually every 2-3 months we have to fill the tank.

If the argument is about tax benefits well good luck but if is on the merits of the car I can say it's the nicest car I have ever driven.

Go to the Chevy volt forum and poke around and you will see how much owners love there car. For some reason people love to hate it

·
Registered
338 Posts
My wife owns a 2014 Volt and it is a phenomenal car. I drive it every chance I get . Handles awsome because of the low center of gravity from the battery pack. No range anxiety as you can use up all the battery and not worry about being stuck on the side of the road. Ask a leaf owner about!
In the summer we usually get close to 50 miles on a charge if local roads less on highway. Winter averages in the high twentys.
My wife hates to go to the gas station and now all she has to do is plug in and done. Usually every 2-3 months we have to fill the tank.

If the argument is about tax benefits well good luck but if is on the merits of the car I can say it's the nicest car I have ever driven.

Go to the Chevy volt forum and poke around and you will see how much owners love there car. For some reason people love to hate it
Your kidding me right? 50 miles on charge sometimes high twenties? This has been my argument: The range on these things is not practical unless you drive down to the corner store twice a week and that's all you do. I could care less about the handling. If it's not able to move on a charge for an extended period of time how is it a true electric car? As far the owners group how many are there? I bet not many at all. Look I am all for alternative sources of power, but this is a half ass attempt at true electric long range vehicle.

·
Registered
174 Posts
My opinion? It's fact dude that very, very few people buy these things period. Incentives? the cost of incentives if off the charts when compared to the cost up front of the vehicle. I don't have to drive one to come to that conclusion. Yep the cost per mile would be cheaper until you have to replace the batteries.
Comical...."Newer" technologies take time to develop in the market place. You dont just make something new and wake up the next day and everyone owns them. It is like saying why doesnt everyone buy a PM instead of a Sprinter,very few people own the PM mostly because it is new...Plus, greedy little oil men get in the way of the consumer market owning anything that is alternative to gas.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Your kidding me right? 50 miles on charge sometimes high twenties? This has been my argument: The range on these things is not practical unless you drive down to the corner store twice a week and that's all you do. I could care less about the handling. If it's not able to move on a charge for an extended period of time how is it a true electric car? As far the owners group how many are there? I bet not many at all. Look I am all for alternative sources of power, but this is a half ass attempt at true electric long range vehicle.
Do you have any understanding of how the Volt works?

It's not a 100% battery operated vehicle, so in that sense it's not "A true electric long range vehicle" and it WAS NOT DESIGNED TO BE ONE!

The vast majority of drivers drive less than 40 miles per day, so it's battery range is sufficient for the daily needs of most drivers. GM purposely built it this way. They could have easily doubled or tripled the battery capacity, but it would have just been a waste of money, efficiency and materials when there is a built in gas engine for longer trips.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Uh yep. battery powered vehicle with and auxiliary I mean primary gas engine. If it sufficient for the daily needs of most drivers, then why do most drivers still drive all gas/diesel vehicles? And, why has GM only sold a fraction of what they estimated they would sell?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts