Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
random thoughts.

After 36 months of being on this forum the stars aligned and I bought a used plain jane '16 1500 HR gas, 17k miles.

I have looked a lots of vans, in the end I wanted low price, low miles, and avoid price creep that comes with buying a vehicle, found two vans that fit the bill a '17 159 gas 11k $19 or a '16 136 gas 17k $20.5. The 159 was still listed when I called, but it had been sold 2 days before, so 136 it is.

Rented a car in Indiana and drove 479 miles to Pennsylvania. Put on coveralls and spent an hour going over the van, pulling, twisting, pushing and looking for known issues talked about here. Test drive checked out, bought it and drove it home.

I was nervous about the process of buying a van out of state, turns out that was an unnecessary fear. Get title and bill of sale, temp plate, done.

Pennsylvania turnpike it was priced as a car and not as class 2.

At the BMV, I asked if I could get passenger plates instead of truck plates, sure no problem.

Best advice I got here was wear ear plugs when driving an empty cargo van. Freshly milled asphalt was incredibly loud.

I can see where a sliding door window would be handy, when I exited tolls I used the left lane and it was hard to see who was to the right of me trying to merge into one lane.

The exterior has a few minor bumps and the interior is scraped up some, but that was to be expected.

The mechanic I use checked it out when I got home and said it was mechanically sound. He basically verified what I already knew.

It's big enough for a camper van. If the 118 had a HR and was priced accordingly I may have got one.

The used 1500 136 HR market is small.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
Get the window before you get hit! There are opening ones available so you gat the best of a window and venting which you will need!

[ame]https://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-ProMaster-Passenger-Sliding-Wheelbase/dp/B072371FZ7/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1505407305&sr=8-8&keywords=CRL+window+Ram+Promaster[/ame]

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
That kind of money will be for the solar system.

I thinking tri-state surplus windows

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
I bought them and I am fine having done so. I like a fellow who understands function and money left in their wallet is a good thing. Solar need not be more than $550 with 210 A-H of batteries, 200 watts of super quality panels and an MPPT controller, wires, entrance sealer, screws, VHB tape fuses and perhaps a bit more for a MSW inverter thrown in!

·
Registered
14 Posts
All-Glass Look??

Get the window before you get hit! There are opening ones available so you gat the best of a window and venting which you will need!

https://www.amazon.com/All-Glass-Pr...7305&sr=8-8&keywords=CRL+window+Ram+Promaster
Hey, RD what is "all glass Look" mean? Looks like all glass from the outside? The pic is not revealing to me. I wasn't thinking about a slider window until I almost got hit twice at Wally World a couple days ago.
By the way, I have taken a lot of your, and others, advice on the Rostra cruise( 2 hr.), Drawtite 75882 (installed by my self in 3 hours), CURT trailer plug ( 4 hr., big hands) and I sure do appreciate all your wisdom..
TIA

·
Registered
24 Posts
random thoughts.

I was nervous about the process of buying a van out of state, turns out that was an unnecessary fear. Get title and bill of sale, temp plate, done.
Seems like a solid deal for a 136" HR -- nice find! Did you buy from a dealer or private? I too am concerned with the logistics of purchasing a vehicle out of state.

If you bought private, did you have to go to the PA DMV for the temp plate?

Thanks!

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It was a used car lot, my impression is they use a no haggle, low prices and good service approach to move cars. They told me what to bring, DL, insurance card and a certified check.

A private seller, would add lien or no lien holder, a notary and temp plates to the equations all that is doable with some extra communication.

The thing is you got to move fast when a low price, low mileage fleet/rental van pops up. The 159 was listed at $18k, couple days later $19k then sold. It's still showing up at Auto Plus LLC, the carfax is for the wrong vehicle now, but the vans carfax was basic info stating it was a rental.

The link should dead in a few days.
http://www.autoplusva.com/vehicle_pages/3c6trvdg9he513815-2017-ram-promaster-2500-2500-high-used-arlington-va.shtml

Someone got a heck of a deal.

They said they have another one, but didn't have the price yet.

·
Premium Member
8,809 Posts
rdkeiith,
Yes those CRL windows look like all glass from the outside and have just a black perimeter around the inside, no frame around them. Personally I think one in the slider would be great as you would get the factory look, be able to see oncoming traffic from the right, and they vent as awning windows so rain won’t get in. All valuable.
Thanks for your kind words. ProEddie did the Rostra cruise so Kudos to him. I did do the Curt hitch and wiring. Lots of contributors here and we need them all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts