Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If the Promaster doesn't become a hit I will be surprised. They have thought of a lot of details. Since the battery is under the drivers feet (which is huge by the way)they have jumper leads right under the hood. The sitting positions is great for long distances. It is close to a foot wider than a Sprinter so a 6' person could sleep sideways. The tight turning circle still amazes me, it makes it a gas to drive in tight spots. There still needs to have a step and handles built in. I did add a step on the slider. When my hitch comes in I will build a step in the receiver. Under the passenger seat is a box that contains the jack and front threaded eyelet (open a tab in the front bumper and there is threads into the frame) and some other tool. the cool part is the box is big enough for jumper cables and a tow strap. It is very quiet going down the road mostly due to no drive lines and axel.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds good. Now if the diesel version is as everyone expects, it can't help but be a hit.
What do you think of that Pentastar engine? We have one in our Jeep Wrangler. It's sweet, quiet and powerful.
Ironically, in the Wrangler application, it's tied to the Mercedes NAG-1 5 spd trans. A leftover from their tieup

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'm surprised that you said the Promaster would be comfortable over a long distance trip. Others have said that with the batteries under your feet and the separator between the cabin and the cargo hold makes the front seat not very comfortable especially for tall folks.

Did you not encounter any of these problems?

·
Registered
654 Posts
fwiw, the Promaster/Ducato seating is exactly like the old VW Vanagons. You basically sit upright, your knees splay a bit, and the battery and tool bins are right under seats.

I have an old VW as a daily driver, and it is OK for local trips, and alright for road trips - but if I am spending $30+k on a new Promaster, I don't want 1980's euro ergonomics to come with it.

·
Registered
363 Posts
fwiw, the Promaster/Ducato seating is exactly like the old VW Vanagons. You basically sit upright, your knees splay a bit, and the battery and tool bins are right under seats.

I have an old VW as a daily driver, and it is OK for local trips, and alright for road trips - but if I am spending $30+k on a new Promaster, I don't want 1980's euro ergonomics to come with it.
Is it easy to access the battery or what? That is something some people might need frequent access to at times. Also how big is the battery?

·
Registered
654 Posts
On the VW or Promaster?

The Promaster: Battery 95 amp with 700 CCA, 100 amp with 730 CCA
Full specs here:
http://chryslermedia.iconicweb.com/mediasite/specs/2014_RAM_ProMaster_SP.pdf

I have read somewhere, perhaps the OP, that there are built in jumper cable extensions in the Promaster under the engine hood (if true, that is a great feature!)

I can tell you from having my VW for close to 10 years, I have had only one battery. I think there is a benefit to having the battery in the passenger compartment, as it doesn't see the harsher heat and cold cycles that happen in the engine bay.

Is it easy to access the battery or what? That is something some people might need frequent access to at times. Also how big is the battery?

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sounds like the Promaster is set up the same as the Sprinter. The battery in the Sprinter is right below the drivers feet. Easy access, but a bitch to get out because of the weight. They also have the positive & negative access posts under the hood. Very easy to get to.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm surprised that you said the Promaster would be comfortable over a long distance trip. Others have said that with the batteries under your feet and the separator between the cabin and the cargo hold makes the front seat not very comfortable especially for tall folks.

Did you not encounter any of these problems?
I'm over 6 feet and I don't know what they could be talking about, maybe the promaster city

·
Registered
106 Posts
My update after 1400 miles is:
Concept & Design: A
Dealer Purchasing Experience: B
Dealer Service: D
Vehicle Quality: D

Am I glad I purchased it over another competitor...so far, no.

·
Super Moderator
6,642 Posts
I'd give an "A" on all fronts except FCA support. They have done a terrible job on selling and configuring the Promaster to the general, uninformed public, unlike Ford. It's as if they believe the only Promaster market is for tradesmen (hence the dumb name) whereas this forum proves how wrong their marketing philosophy really is!

But, let's not forget this is a brand new vehicle for the NA market and the dealers and they all have lots to learn.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
I'd rate:
Concept and Design, A+
Dealer Purchasing (ordered van over the internet), A
FCA information during manufacture and shipping, D
Dealer service for first 2800 miles... none needed!
Vehicle quality, A- (cab floor is not a +)
Driving and comfort, A
Efficiency (diesel), A++
FCA marketing, D
Enthusiasm of looky loos who stop you in the parking lot to ask, A++++
Ease if conversion, A++ (I couldn't believe they even had a tap on the diesel tank for my Espar heater!!!)
Height and stiffness of rear suspension on a 1500, C (Do they really think I'll put two ton in a 1500?)

·
Registered
184 Posts
RD, you got it spot on! The only different grade I would give is a "C" for FCA. This would be because in my situation FCA worked with me. I am good at negotiating and they gave me what I wanted.
Not sure why "IndyDog has vehicle quality a "D" but I would rate the overall quality a "B+". After 8000 miles with the diesel, I know I made the right choice!

·
Registered
106 Posts
RD, you got it spot on! The only different grade I would give is a "C" for FCA. This would be because in my situation FCA worked with me. I am good at negotiating and they gave me what I wanted.
Not sure why "IndyDog has vehicle quality a "D" but I would rate the overall quality a "B+". After 8000 miles with the diesel, I know I made the right choice!
Well after being in the shop 3 times in 1400 miles I'm not happy, and they still can't solve the "buzzing/vibrating" sound under the drivers floor mat area that is annoying at the very least. It's a noisy work van so my care level is low, no way I'm leaving it longer for them to solve it and lose more money. Overall the workmanship is sloppy to me, maybe it's the early build '14 but when I'm so motivated I'll take some pics and post.

·
Premium Member
6,943 Posts
There is no questioning that the early vans had some quality issues and bugs to work out. We know about the marker lights leaking, doors that don't open, TPMS lighting, some engines throwing codes, etc. As a product being produced for many years in Europe (and elsewhere?) this is disappointing. FCA has been producing trucks in Saltillo for a long time and should have done better. Now 2 years from start of production and a year from diesel production we can expect a high quality build and I think we are getting it. Not Lexus or BMW but good none the less.

·
Registered
184 Posts
IndyDog, sorry to hear of your Issues. I hope it all gets resolved! For some reference, my 2015 118" diesel was built Nov/2014. It also threw a CEL at 100 miles, turbo failure and replaced. Runs great!
Like the early diesel Sprinters and the white paint problem with the Transits, they all seem to have some start up quality issues.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
14 Participants
johnnybesurfing
Ram Promaster Forum
We’re a community forum dedicated to Promaster enthusiasts to discuss mods, camper conversions, diesel, fuel economy, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing