Ram Promaster Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2021 1500 136"WB High top
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just when I was loving the electrical part... I installed my first AC plug and it doesn't work.

All my DC stuff works wonderfully. And right now my Renogy inverter charger is hooked into shore power, it charges my battery. But the AC plugs don't work, not the one I installed in the van or the one on the back of the distribution panel.

So I'm wondering, are these the wrong item? The inverter charger seems to be working, and the DC side of the Distribution panel is working. So it seems it's something with my wiring or these things.

I have no idea what I have done.

·
Super Moderator
11,091 Posts
If there is a gfi anywhere make sure it’s on. You wouldn’t believe the people that throw out perfectly good electrical appliances because the gfi was off.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
First, do the outlets work when you disconnect shorepower and turn on the inverter? If so, your problem is with shorepower, which puts it somewhere between your external source and the inverter-charger inclusively. Make sure your van is actually receiving shorepower and the inverter-charger is wired properly according to manufacturer's instructions.

·
Registered
2019 3500 extended, white. Stella.
122 Posts
Looking at your picture, the 20amp breaker thats popped doesn't appear to have wire going to it. It might just be how the pic is taken.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It doesn’t work with or without shore power. And there is no “inverter mode” setup Ican find. The gfi- if that’s what I think it is, there is none on the outlet. Did I get any of these wires mixed up?

image.jpg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn’t have wire. I only hooked up one outlet to see if it worked. Each on those fuses fuse 2 items. At least that’s what I think. But clearly I’m doing something wrong. Not even the plug on the back of the distribution panel works, and that one just needed the one black wire attached.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IT'S FIXED!!!!! It was an error by my not kn owing what I'm doin g and probably not reading directions well enough. On the back of the distribution panel, there are metal pins. I thought they were there to hole the fuses in place. No. There's a hole in the middle of the back of the fuses and the pins fit in there. I know it had to be something dumb I did. Thanks everyone for helping me!!!!! You helped me feel better about the problem.

IMG_2394.jpeg

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I have a new problem. An alarm is going off on the inverter/charger. The error message: "Output is too high or too low". I had the inverter on but nothing else.

I tried googling but found nothing. and the manual isn't helping me. Can anyone explain what these readings mean and how I fix this?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Does your power distribution panel have a converter? What is the make and model of your distribution panel?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 136 HT Gasser
131 Posts
. I know it had to be something dumb I did.
If I had a dollar for every "dumb" thing I did learning how to be a good mechanic I could have just hired a good mechanic! What I really appreciate about this forum is the vicarious perspective I have as people learn, create, adapt, adjust and persevere. You are no dummy, that's readily evident.

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,983 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
And just as an FYI those are circuit breakers you’ve been troubleshooting, not fuses. Similar/identical to what’s in your home’s main electrical panel.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If I had a dollar for every "dumb" thing I did learning how to be a good mechanic I could have just hired a good mechanic! What I really appreciate about this forum is the vicarious perspective I have as people learn, create, adapt, adjust and persevere. You are no dummy, that's readily evident.
If it's not human error, its faulty equipment, and, while that sometimes is the case, it's almost always dumb mistakes.

It's best if you give the make and model number of said inverter/charger.
You're right. I started a separate thread with more information.

And just as an FYI those are circuit breakers you’ve been troubleshooting, not fuses. Similar/identical to what’s in your home’s main electrical panel.
Oops. thank you. When the house goes out I always have said "we blew a fuse!"

·
Premium Member
661 Posts
This is a split phase 240v panel and you've got your circuit breakers on two different legs. Can you explain what each circuit breaker is? Is that 30 amp your incoming shore power or the output of the inverter? The circuit breaker on the right isn't going to work at all because it's not connected to anything else.

·
Registered
89 Posts
This is all kinds of messed up. This is a split phase 240v panel and you've got your circuit breakers on two different legs. Can you explain what each circuit breaker is? Is that 30 amp your incoming shore power or the output of the inverter? The circuit breaker on the right isn't going to work at all because it's not connected to anything else.
You might be on to something here because the”88” error code is “transformer phase reversal”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
30 amp is wired to "AC output cable entry" port on the inverter. "AC input cable entry" port on the inverter goes to the shore power plug. In the manual it says AC breakers 120/240 volts.

Each of the 20's are for outlets to hook up to. I bought the circuit breakers separate from the distribution panel so I might have bought something wrong

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Last night I changed some of the parameters. The error message went away when I set Power saving mode to SEN. This says output of the inverter will be off until a load greater than 50 watts is detected. I changed it back to ther default and the error code came on again.

(the outlet doesn't work with it set to SEN)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts