Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys, anyone have this problem before? You’ll hear a grinding sound right near the end of the video. Kinda nervous and can’t guess what it is. Just had a full repair of AC (condenser, compressor, coolant recovery tank) so I’m hoping it’s not related to that.. Seems to be be aggravated when turning on AC, but it has also made the same noise after idling a while despite AC behind off. Help please 😓

·
Registered
2019 Ram Promaster 136 HT Gasser Stealth Work Van Weekend Camper
239 Posts
Listened twice , couldn't hear the grinding noise.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Listened twice , couldn't hear the grinding noise.
The idling noise sounds a bit louder than usual with some ticking, and both the steering wheel & brake pedal start to rumble while idling. It eventually stops with a loud grinding/scraping sound (right at :20 in video)

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I dont hear it either, but the engine fan cycles even if the a/c is off. That can easily be heard and felt, even with a brand new fan.

if it helps, use a piece of tubing, or even a long piece of metal as a stethescope, putting one end in your ear and the other directly touching things underhood. good way of locating noise sources.

Reactions: travelvanvan

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Almost certainly the fan. Kicks on for maybe 30 seconds, kicks off. Will do this at idle once the engine is hot enough.

easy ways to confirm that. Piece of string tied near each fan - string moves fan is blowing. Or some variation of that idea.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I see. I’ve been driving it for about a month now and never noticed this before (the whole steering column and pedals seem to rumble along with the noise. I just had my AC repaired through an insurance claim due to road debris, so I’ll try to see if this is linked to the repair job.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
I cant think of anything else big enough to cause something you could feel other than the fans. Abs pump, no. Hydroboost, no. Heater box actuators, possible but unlikely. Key retention solenoid, possible but you’d know it.

I suppose a bad alternator bearing, belt tensioner, or something in the belt path could cause that. Might be worth pulling the lower cover and watching it run from underneath.
Pretty much cant be anything related to the engine or trans, as it wouldnt be intermittent like you describe.

If I were being most logical, I’d use the string/ribbon idea to rule the fans out, then examine the belt path.

Reactions: chrischarles

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Loose a/c compressor bolts could do that. Easy to check - right at bottom of engine easy to get to.

Reactions: chrischarles

·
Registered
MMXVI - L2H2 in IN
4,479 Posts
what about removing the fuse(s) for the fans and see if the noise goes away?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does the fan appear to be loose as it’s shaking from the engine? And yes, I have an appointment in 2 days so I’ll have them look at it. My AC repair is covered so if this is linked it should fall under that. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

·
Registered
565 Posts
Does the fan appear to be loose as it’s shaking from the engine? And yes, I have an appointment in 2 days so I’ll have them look at it. My AC repair is covered so if this is linked it should fall under that. Fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Yep. In the last video it looks like that fan has broken loose. It does not look normal for it be moving like that.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Dude - the fan is wobbling, plain as day.

I get about 120k out of a fan, sometimes more. For me, that’s around 1 year. The fans are somewhat of a weak point on the pm, and I’m working on a solution to that.

the good news is a fan assembly (it comes mounted to the shroud with both fans, both resistors, and sometimes both relays) is pretty cheap. Rock auto has them for around $120.

The bad news is that it’s not a small job to replace them. Maybe 2-3 hrs of labor. It is entirely unrelated to your A/C repair, unfortunately.

If you want to try to do it yourself, I can talk you through it. I would call it an intermediate level job.

it sucks, because the fans themselves would be crazy easy to replace if only they were designed to bolt into the shroud from the back. Instead, the bolts go into the shroud from the radiator side, and there’s no good way to get the fans out without removing the shroud. If they bolted in from the engine side of the shroud, 3 screws and 5 minutes and you’d be done.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey guys, anyone have this problem before? You’ll hear a grinding sound right near the end of the video. Kinda nervous and can’t guess what it is. Just had a full repair of AC (condenser, compressor, coolant recovery tank) so I’m hoping it’s not related to that.. Seems to be be aggravated when turning on AC, but it has also made the same noise after idling a while despite AC behind off. Help please 😓

If you give me the last 8 of the vin I can check there is a current recall for the fan module and if your vehicle is eligible it would be a covered repair at dealer I do at least 3 of these a week. I have a fleet of 450 promasters for Amazon that I work on primarily since I am a Chrysler promaster certified tech

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If you give me the last 8 of the vin I can check there is a current recall for the fan module and if your vehicle is eligible it would be a covered repair at dealer I do at least 3 of these a week. I have a fleet of 450 promasters for Amazon that I work on primarily since I am a Chrysler promaster certified tech
Thank you for that! I was actually able to include it as part of my current claim where the condenser, compressor, and coolant recovery tank had all broken on me due to what the mechanic said was likely road debris of some kind, so they were able to assess that it needed a full fan replacement and it was covered. I appreciate the help though!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thank you for that! I was actually able to include it as part of my current claim where the condenser, compressor, and coolant recovery tank had all broken on me due to what the mechanic said was likely road debris of some kind, so they were able to assess that it needed a full fan replacement and it was covered. I appreciate the help though!
No problem anytime I’m here to help anyone so nice I work on these daily

1 - 18 of 18 Posts