Ram Promaster Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I got in my Promaster 2500 this morning (that I've owned for a year tomorrow) the Speedometer, Tachometer and fuel gauge needles were jumping off 0 together and making a click,click,click noise every time they jumped up from 0.

I inserted the key and turned the ignition on but nothing happened - no dash lights, no starter noise and when I turned off the ignition I couldn't remove the key.

I measured the battery voltage and it was 2.6 volts.

I connected jumper cables and the dash lights would come on, but it wouldn't start so I let the battery charge for 15 or 20 minutes.

The engine finally started and I could remove the key when I turned it off.

I haven't driven the van for maybe 4 days but nothing was left on. It doesn't seem like you can turn anything on with the key removed. The interior lights go off after a few minutes, the headlights go off when the key is off, the radio only plays for a few minutes and then goes off.

Anybody have any similar experience or any idea why the battery went dead?

For now the jumper cables are staying in the van.

·
Registered
810 Posts
On my 1500 136 low roof...
IF I leave the headlights on when I turn the key..yes.. they do go off...
BUT.. turn them OFF.. then turn off the key. Pull your key out....
Turn the lights ON....
Guess what....????
The parking lights come on and stay on till your battery goes dead...or you turned them off.
Happened to me, so I found out..
Happended in daylight into night I ssupposed...if there's no 'auto' setting..
NO 8 minute timer either... the stay on.
Dont know about locked or unlocked.
.I didnt run that trial.dmmmnn.

Ps... my radio (cheaper one) will stay on for 60 minutes if I turn it on with the key out...probally won't drain a battery though.

Good luck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ps... my radio (cheaper one) will stay on for 60 minutes if I turn it on with the key out...probally won't drain a battery though.[/QUOTE said:
I wish I could get my radio to stay on for an hour with the ignition off. I have the uconnect radio and it only stays on about 15 or 20 minutes. I like to listen to Sirius when working on the van out in my alley. Very annoying to have to constantly turn it back on and re-adjust the volume every time it times out. They could also have the time-out on the dome lights last a little longer. I think that only lasts a couple minutes. I hate machines that try to out-smart me. I might as well add to my rant. It would be nice if the uconnect screen was dimmable for night time use. The screen off option is useless. Who really wants to turn the screen completely off when they're using the system.

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
My biggest complaint with the U Connect is screen size. What genius though a huge van needed a screen the size of a cell phone in it? I can hardly use the keypad on the GPS it's so tiny.
As soon as the new Apple Play aftermarket units start showing up and get priced reasonably I'll be replacing the dog of a radio for sure!

·
Super Moderator
9,017 Posts
All the gage's, etc, dim when i put my lights on. I don't know if it its a setting you can change or not but I think that's a feature if most newer vehicles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Had a similar situation - Came back from a 600 mile trip. Truck sat for 2 weeks after that. When I tried to start it, truck would not start and key was stuck. Tried to jump under hood from wife's car with no luck. Tried battery charger under the hood - again nothing. Called AAA and they put a jump pack on the battery terminal on the floor - which did start it. They hauled to dealer. The dealer started it the next day with no problem. They could not find any problem. Went out and bought a jump pack to carry at all times just in case it happens again.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I think the key being stuck is a red herring. On mine, I'll turn the key to run (but not start) when I'm parked, and then it won't release the key. If I turn it off, then back to run, then it will release the key. And sometimes I have to move the steering wheel to get it to release.

The most obvious explanation is staring you in the face: lights left on. After that, 4 days is long enough for a minor power consumption to kill the battery. Uconnect, dome lights, cigarette lighter accessories, something like that. I once had a phone charger that drew power even when not in use.

On mine, about 10 minutes after I shut it off I hear some kind of relay click once behind the dash. Don't know what it is. It might be the computer going to sleep. Might be the relay for power to the cargo area. The cargo lights, even if left on, will turn off after about 10 minutes. Maybe that relay has an issue. Dunno.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Is there a switch lurking somewhere that controls the cargo lamps?? Other than opening a side or rear door?
i cant find one.

Ps.. and yes. Mine too.. when the battery went dead...the key got stuck in there...
A lengthy jumper cable hook up under the hood to the jump points got it started again. And the key came back out after driving for a while then shut down.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm pretty sure I left the parking lights on.

My wife reminded me to turn the lights when we got home after driving in the rain. I explained that the lights went off when the key went off, but I probably turned the lights off then back on to demonstrate and that indeed turns on the parking lights.

Didn't notice they were on because it was still daylight.

It was weird when I got in the van a few days later and all the gauge needles were jumping up and down a few inches even before I put the key and tried to start it.

And the key definitely would not come out until I had jump started the van. I know you have to move the steering wheel sometimes to remove the key.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'm pretty sure I left the parking lights on.
It was weird when I got in the van a few days later and all the gauge needles were jumping up and down a few inches even before I put the key and tried to start it.

And the key definitely would not come out until I had jump started the van. I know you have to move the steering wheel sometimes to remove the key.
I could see the gauges acting erratic with low voltage, but can't understand why they'd have power to them without having a key in the ignition.

I wonder if the computer has some type of battery monitor circuit that won't let the starter crank until the battery reaches a certain/set voltage? That may explain why it wouldn't crank immediately after connecting the jumper cables and you had to wait a bit? Or the computer itself probably needs to have a certain voltage along with performing a self-check after loosing power?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Dimmable Uconnect Screen

The u connect screen is dimmable. There is a setting that reacts when your headlights are energized.
Mine stays the same brightness weather the headlights are on or off. Very annoyingly bright at night. Is the screen dimming supposed to be an automatic function or do I have to set it to do that?

·
Registered
810 Posts
Mine stays the same brightness weather the headlights are on or off. Very annoyingly bright at night. Is the screen dimming supposed to be an automatic function or do I have to set it to do that?

you probably got your dimmer set all the way to high..
try the dimmer arrows (up and down) on the dash behind the cruise control stalk..
change those arrows while your driving.. it dims everything.
good luck

·
Registered
253 Posts
Thanks Jim! With that info, I figured out how to dim the dash lights, but it seems like the radio screen is always about four steps brighter than the dash lights. You have to turn them all the way down to get the radio screen to be the right brightness. By then you can barely see the dash lights. We'll just put this on the list of things they could improve.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Easiest thing to do at night with the Uconnect screen is to simply turn it off. There is a button left of the screen to do that.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Easiest thing to do at night with the Uconnect screen is to simply turn it off. There is a button left of the screen to do that.
Yea, but as I said previously then why have a screen. If the radio is on I want the screen to be on too. If this were properly designed, the dash lights and the screen would be at approximately the same brightness when the headlights are on. Otherwise the brightness of the two should be controlled separately. Not to be a chronic complainer, I generally like my PM. This is just one of many little things that could be better on it. Ram said it themselves. Fiat gave them approval to change whatever they wanted to inside the PM. These little things are the difference between great and sloppy engineering.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts